Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 00:55   #1

Boat: Leopard 38
Raytheon Autopilot Type 2

Hi,

I'm single handed sailing in the Philippines and have a problem with my autopilot.
After taking the whole type 2 autopilot in parts, I found out, that the belt is worn out.
I replaced it, but now the Pilot turns the yacht quickly either to starboard or to the portside.
Raymarine support sold me the belt, but is not able to help in this matter.
I checked already:

1. wiring is ok
2. electric clutch is ok
3. ST 6002 Display works fine.
4. fluxgate compass works fine.

Somebody told me that there is a mark that have to be adjusted when the vessel is straight to NORTH. but the only mark I found is a little H (see pic)

Any help is more than appriciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive_worn_out.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	117820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark-on-Belt.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	117821  

Ashanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 09:42   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Raytheon Autopilot Type 2

Have you adjusted the response time and gone through the commissioning steps again? Sounds like a software issue.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 10:59   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Ashanty,
I would normally respond to a post like this by referring the poster to the Raymarine Technical Forum for help, but I noticed you did that a few days ago, and the only suggestion you got was to check the polarity of the power to the drive.
You say you checked that - I assume by that you mean you reversed the power cables at the drive unit and the symptoms did not change.
To me, like the earlier poster, this sounds like an electrical or software issue not one with the grears. Is it possible to reverse the planetary gear while putting the unit back together? If so, turn it around. Otherwise I have nothing to offer. I have a Type 2 drive unit, but it is the linear drive, and I've never taken it apart.
I guess your best hope is to find someone with the Raymarine service manual for the unit, as it appears the only way you'll get that kind of assistance from Raymarine is to send your drive unit to the repair facility.

Good luck,

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 05:10   #4

Boat: Leopard 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Have you adjusted the response time and gone through the commissioning steps again? Sounds like a software issue.
I think you are on the right path:

Meanwhile I took the Type 2 drive 3 times in parts.
Everything seems ok, I also did not find any marks, indicating a special position for belt or planetary transmission.

But I found out that my ST6002 controller should have 4 different Calibration settings:

- Display Calibration
- Compass calibration
- Seatrial calibration
- Dealer Calibration,

Even I unlock in dealer calibration the seatrial I cannot access nor even see the seatrial calibration on the display!

I'm also not able to set the vessel type: No. 6 (sailboat) is not showing. It only goes up to No 4.

What can I do to have access to seatrial calibration?
Ashanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 06:24   #5

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Ashanty,
It's been a few years since I installed my ST6002 control head and even longer since I installed the S3 Course Computer, so my memory of the calibration process may not be that accurate.

I think you are saying that you can put the control unit into calibration mode and can see the options to select User and Dealer calibrations. You do not see the Seatrial option. When you go into the Dealer calibration mode you cannot set the vessel type to sailboat.

It does sound like there is a software problem in the course computer. Either that or the ST6002 control head calibration process has changed. That it might change is possible as Raymarine often updates the software and may or may not update the documentation to reflect the change.

Either way, course computer software problem or a need for updated documentation, I would take that back to the Raymarine forum for assistance. They will want to know the model nr of your course computer.

However; I doubt either is a cause of the problem (assuming this was a working AP before you started taking it apart). They may be symptoms. It sounds to me like there is serious problem in the course computer that is causing the hard over drive unit problem. If so, that will only be fixed by sending your course computer to a Raymarine service rep and the cost of repair may be a significant chunk of the replacement cost.

Good Luck

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, raytheon