Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 15:31   #1

Boat: PDQ ANTARES CATAMARAN, 42 FEET
Question RayStar 120LP WAAS SeaTalk GPS

I need to replace my RayStar 120LP WAAS SeaTalk GPS. It's original Raymarine part number was 32025. Raymarine's solution involves purchasing about $600 worth of new items to make my RL70C and RL80C displays receive GPS info. Costly considering the price of USB GPS units, $25.

Does anyone know of a less expensive marine GPS receiver that can take the place of my RayStar 120? I.e., a 12 volt DC GPS receiver that speaks SeaTalk or NMEA 0183.

I look forward to your assistance.

- Jason, s/v YOLO -
jetrautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 17:15   #2

Boat: Fantasia 35
Re: RayStar 120LP WAAS SeaTalk GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrautz View Post
I need to replace my RayStar 120LP WAAS SeaTalk GPS. It's original Raymarine part number was 32025. Raymarine's solution involves purchasing about $600 worth of new items to make my RL70C and RL80C displays receive GPS info. Costly considering the price of USB GPS units, $25.

Does anyone know of a less expensive marine GPS receiver that can take the place of my RayStar 120? I.e., a 12 volt DC GPS receiver that speaks SeaTalk or NMEA 0183.

I look forward to your assistance.

- Jason, s/v YOLO -
Hear are two of many on ebay:

Raymarine Raystar 125 GPS Sensor E32042 Antenna Module Only Tested Working | eBay

Raymarine Raystar 120 GPS Antenna Receiver Raytheon Apelco Tested Guaranteed | eBay

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 17:44   #3

- Viking Sailor -

Thanks for the lead, I've been keeping an eye on the old Raymarine equipment on E-Bay. My concern is: The RayStar 120 unit have been around for over 10 years. Many are failing. So, if I buy one it might be a very short-term solution. I would like to find a new product to replace my RayStar 120LP, one with some legs.

Thanks.

- Jason, s/v YOLO -
Old 28-03-2013, 17:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I just swopped mine for an evermore sa320 works better than the Ray one for my money. Only downside is you have to reuse the raymarine connector.
Old 29-03-2013, 07:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I just swopped mine for an evermore sa320 works better than the Ray one for my money. Only downside is you have to reuse the raymarine connector.
- Emmalina -

Where did you purchase the Evermore SA320? Do you the name/phone number of a USA retailer?

When you use the Evermore SA320 do you loose any of the functionality of the Raymarine display/plotter?

Thanks for the info.

- Jason -
Old 29-03-2013, 09:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The evermore is a popular cheap GPS uni, but anyone of the GPS units that has NMEA output should work. They also tend to have much better GPS chips than the primitive offerings from Raymarine ( although their new ones are a little better)

Often the new GPS engines will work inside the yacht. Get a cheap ebay one as a spare. It can wired up ready to go at the flick of switch if the main unit fails.

Another option is handheld GPS (with nmea output) permantly wired in to 12v and the chartplotter. Then you have a small very low powered GPS with a screen for an anchor watch, or as a backup if the chart plotter fails. (you will still have position, ground speed etc at least)
When the chartplotter is on it will send a position, but it will function independently if the chartplotter is off.
You should be able to pick up a suitable HH GPS for a bit less than $100.

You will not loose any functionality the the RL80.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I believe practically all GPS antenna's use the SIrf chipset they are up to Sirf III or VI by now. Thats .
what you will find in the new Raymarine and Evermore or anybody elses GPS system .
Jason got mine from Amazon about 10 USD cheaper than Ebay.
Old 30-03-2013, 01:50   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I believe practically all GPS antenna's use the SIrf chipset they are up to Sirf III or VI by now. Thats .
what you will find in the new Raymarine and Evermore or anybody elses GPS system .
Jason got mine from Amazon about 10 USD cheaper than Ebay.
Raymarine are a bit coy about admitting the chipset used.

The Raymarine 120 was not very good. Only 12 channel which indicates a very basic chipset.
It's performance is poor when compared to a modern GPS unit.

I believe that with the new 130 they have upgraded things considerably, but I have not had a chance to use one myself. I don't think it offers the improved responsiveness of the faster output units such as the 5 and 10Hz models that are available If the display equipment can use this, (the RL80 cannot)

I guess the point is Raymarine GPS units are often more primitive designs at more than state of the art prices. You can usually do much better from an alternative supplier.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, seatalk