Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2010, 02:06   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Raymarine System Compatibility Question

Our (new to us) boat has got a last generation radar/plotter system which works really well. It consists of RL80CRC+ at the nav table, RL70RC+ monochrome at the helm, and a 24" 4kW radome.

I'm well aware of all of the advantages of the latest generation of electronics, but if you upgrade your whole electronic suite everytime a new generation comes out, you will soon go bankrupt. So I plan to use the existing system for a few years at least. Anyway I am very pleased with how the existing system works. The only thing which I really miss in the existing system is AIS compatibility (the displays simply don't recognize the AIS data). Also, the monochrome display at the helm is not as useful as a color display would be.

Can I buy just one "C" series display and mount it at the helm instead of the RL70? The radar manual seems to imply that it might work. It says:

"C-Series Display Compatibility.

To achieve full compatibility with a C-Series Display, your Raymarine radar scanner may require upgrading. Please refer to the C-Series Display Owner’s Handbook, or contact Technical Support for details."

Has anyone used "C" series displays and "RL" series displays together in one system? This could be a neat solution; the "C" series display will read an AIS transponder too. I could put the old RL70 in the master cabin for anchor watch duty. Like that I would be fixed up for some years to come, I think.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 02:27   #2

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
When I fitted a C80 to my helm in 2005, it was not compatible with the already fitted (Raytheon as it was) RL72.
If you check on the Raymarine website under FAQ's "radar compatability" you will see that 2kw radomes with serial numbers up to 0530157 are not compatible with C/E series

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 02:37   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Got it; thanks. My radar scanner -- an RD4, 4kW Pathfinder scanner -- seems to be compatible; might need a software upgrade. But will it talk (read maps from) to my RL80CRC+ at the nav table?
Old 24-02-2010, 02:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cr*p, here's the answer, it seems:

C-Series compatibility with hsb2 devices Question Do C-Series displays have hsb2 networking? Can I add them to my existing Pathfinder hsb2 system?
Answer C-Series Multifunction Displays do not have hsb2 networking. Live images from the chart, radar, or sonar cannot be transmitted between Pathfinder Series and C-Series displays. C-Series displays can be linked to existing Pathfinder displays using SeaTalk or NMEA, enabling them to share digital navigation data like position, course, speed, water depth, waypoint details, etc.
C-Series multifunction displays are designed to be a single-station, all-in-one solution offering radar, chartplotter, and digital sonar in one device. C-Series displays do offer robust capabilities for networking to other electronics using SeaTalk, SeaTalk2, and NMEA 0183. More information on C-Series networking is available here.

"C-Series Multifunction Displays do not have hsb2 networking. Live images from the chart, radar, or sonar cannot be transmitted between Pathfinder Series and C-Series displays. C-Series displays can be linked to existing Pathfinder displays using SeaTalk or NMEA, enabling them to share digital navigation data like position, course, speed, water depth, waypoint details, etc.
C-Series multifunction displays are designed to be a single-station, all-in-one solution offering radar, chartplotter, and digital sonar in one device. C-Series displays do offer robust capabilities for networking to other electronics using SeaTalk, SeaTalk2, and NMEA 0183. More information on C-Series networking is available here."

My existing Pathfinder system uses hsb2 networking to share the chart and radar images.

And here:

"
Communications between Pathfinder Series Display(s) and C-Series Multifunction Displays (MFDs) or E-Series MFDs is limited to alphanumeric GPS, instrument, a navigational data via their respective SeaTalk and/or NMEA 0183 interfaces. It is not possible for Pathfinder Series Displays to share graphical cartography, radar, or fishfinder data with C-Series MFDs or E-Series MFDs and vice versa as C-Series MFDs or E-Series MFDs do not feature an hsb2 interface. The configuration described is considered a dual-station or mult-station installation. Dual-station installations are currently considered to be the domain of C-Series Widescreen MFDs, E-Series Classic MFDs, E-Series Widescreen MFDs, and G-Series systems. Multi-station installations are currently considered to be the domain of Raymarine’s E-Series MFDs and G-Series systems. If considering replacement of the currently owned C-Series Classic MFD, then it is recommended that you consider installation of a pair of C-Series Widescreen MFDs, a pair of E-Series Classic MFDs, a pair of E-Series Widescreen MFDs, or a G-Series system as each station would then have essentially identical capabilities. Should one desire to use the currently installed radar scanner with a C-Series MFD or E-Series Classic MFD, then it is recommended that one review the Multifunction Display Compatibility with Legacy Scanners FAQ . C-Series MFDs and E-Series Classic MFDs are designed to utilize Navionics cartography."

So I guess I've answered my own question -- NO. So I guess I would have to pick up a used RL70CRC+ to put at the helm. Which is probably not worth it -- pouring more money into an already obsolete system. Cr*p.

Old 24-02-2010, 03:06   #5

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
That's Raymarine for you! At least you can be consoled by the fact they appear to have gone bust

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 03:56   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdykes View Post
That's Raymarine for you! At least you can be consoled by the fact they appear to have gone bust

Cheers
Cliff
That does not console me at all. I love my Raymarine electronic gear. It all works great, even the old stuff, is totally reliable and intelligently made. It will be terrible if they go out of business.
Old 24-02-2010, 04:21   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdykes View Post
That's Raymarine for you! At least you can be consoled by the fact they appear to have gone bust Cheers Cliff
Nah, the share price took a bit of a dive just after I bailed out (wasn't me Gov, honest) but they do have a nice new shinney HQ just down the road from me in Portmsouth. Shame its rented

Whilst the owners may change I suspect the brand and products will stay, hope so anyway, I have a boat full of the stuff

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine