Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 08:34   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Raymarine ST6000 AP, waterproof?

I inherited a Raymarine ST6000 AP when I purchased my boat. I refurbished it and am reinstalling but only have the user's manual, not the installation manual. I've looked online but cannot find the installation manual for the ST6000; ST6000plus, ST6001, ST5000, ST7000 but no 6000 so time to ask the forum.

Is the control head for the ST6000 waterproof and can I flush mount it in the cockpit in the weather? The ST6000plus seems to be so I'm assuming the ST6000 is as well but want to be sure before I go there. The back doesn't appear to be sealed so I would properly bed the control head to keep water out of the backside so only concerned about the front with the +/- 10, +/-1, standby, etc buttons.

Thanks
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:08   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Raymarine ST6000 AP, waterproof?

Raymarine supplied a gasket that fits the back of the ST6000 (same as ST60 instruments) to keep water from getting behind the panel. I think you can buy or make another gasket. The face is waterproof but some things in the back side are not really salt water proof.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:09   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Skip,
While nothing is completely waterproof....you should be fine..

I had ST-6000 control heads on my boat for years (orig 1999 to late 2006), and then upgraded electronics and changed to ST-6002+ control heads (flush mounted in the same location, next to helms, in cockpit), and have never had an issue with them....and have hosed them off with fresh water all the time, in addition to the spray from the sea and rain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Is the control head for the ST6000 waterproof and can I flush mount it in the cockpit in the weather? The ST6000plus seems to be so I'm assuming the ST6000 is as well but want to be sure before I go there. The back doesn't appear to be sealed so I would properly bed the control head to keep water out of the backside so only concerned about the front with the +/- 10, +/-1, standby, etc buttons.

Thanks
Skip
I used plain white silicone sealant as "bedding"...allows easy removal when needed...

Here are some photos showing mine...

Hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:33   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Raymarine supplied a gasket that fits the back of the ST6000 (same as ST60 instruments) to keep water from getting behind the panel. I think you can buy or make another gasket. The face is waterproof but some things in the back side are not really salt water proof.
If mine came with a gasket it's long gone. PO mounted the head inside close to the companionway in a box. Obviously I prefer a better location and already have a hole in the cockpit from another gone installation by the PO. So kill to birds with one stone. Use the hole and mount the controls in a better location. I will make a gasket or maybe bed it with butyl tape.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2016, 11:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Skip,
While nothing is completely waterproof....you should be fine..

Unfortunately this is all too true.

I had ST-6000 control heads on my boat for years (orig 1999 to late 2006), and then upgraded electronics and changed to ST-6002+ control heads (flush mounted in the same location, next to helms, in cockpit), and have never had an issue with them....and have hosed them off with fresh water all the time, in addition to the spray from the sea and rain...

Hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
Thanks John,

As always your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:40   #6

Skip, et al,

BTW, my photos above might be misleading, as all my displays have sun covers on them when not in use....
So, be sure to keep the sun covers on all your LCD displays, when not in use....if you do that, they will last decades, if not the sun will seriously deteriorate them....

Fair winds..

John
Old 12-12-2016, 13:10   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
If mine came with a gasket it's long gone. PO mounted the head inside close to the companionway in a box. Obviously I prefer a better location and already have a hole in the cockpit from another gone installation by the PO. So kill to birds with one stone. Use the hole and mount the controls in a better location. I will make a gasket or maybe bed it with butyl tape.

Thanks
You can order gaskets from Raymarine service. The part number is A28028. Some online boating stores might sell them too. They come 5 to a package. The gaskets are nice because they deal pretty well with a surface that isn't perfectly flat.

You can use silicone as a sealant but it adheres pretty well and may be hard to remove later if the need arises. Butyl tape is good and easy to remove but I would worry that it will ooze out almost forever. Maybe put butyl tape behind the instrument and then after everything is fastened run a tiny bead of Life Caulk around the edge to keep it tidy and prevent the butyl from "running out" when it gets hot.

John's admonition to keep sun cover on is a good one. You can also buy replacement sun covers most of the time on Ebay.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 15:31   #8

A bit of clarification about my specific install...
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
You can use silicone as a sealant but it adheres pretty well and may be hard to remove later if the need arises.
My ST-60+ instruments are secured by their treaded studs and nuts on the backside of the instrument panel nd I used a thin bead of silicone as a sealant....and this has worked fine, as I can get at the back of them for wiring, etc....

But, for my ST-6002+ control heads the location doesn't allow the use of the studs/nuts (no access behind them, except to fish the wiring thru), so I used a liberal amount of silicone to seal and adhere them in place, and they've not moved at all!

Gaskets are fine for a flush-mount instrument in a pilot house, etc....but out in the cockpit of an offshore boat, I'd just use silicone sealant...
Might not be SOP for all, but it does work..

fair winds...

John
Old 13-12-2016, 09:14   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
I inherited a Raymarine ST6000 AP when I purchased my boat. I refurbished it and am reinstalling but only have the user's manual, not the installation manual. I've looked online but cannot find the installation manual for the ST6000; ST6000plus, ST6001, ST5000, ST7000 but no 6000 so time to ask the forum.

Thanks
Skip
The display head have a moisture ingress rating, when installed properly.

You can download the IM from the Raymarine Website - Legacy Products section.

I have had to replace one, due to a crack in the display housing and water intrusion.

If the unit is intact, installed properly, and protected from driving water (by canvas for example) and sun (supplied suncover) when not in use, they have a life expectancy of about 10 years, but many see 20.

I used a 20 years old ST-4000+ wheel pilot.

Certified Raymarine Installer / Service Provider
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, water