Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 03:46   #1

Boat: Beneteau 523
Raymarine ST60 system how is depth/speed wired up?

i have an oceanis 523 and it has factory install Raymarine ST60 gear. The tridata display looks ok, when plugged into seatalk it gets power and the speed and depth both read "---"

there is nothing plugged into the 5 terminal on the back for the tridata head for speed or the 3 terminals for depth, i can't even find a wiring harness that looks even close to the right wires to plug into it. i know nothing about the history of what was done to the boat.

The cables from the speed and depth transducers under the floor in the forward cabin just disappear into a conduit and who knows where there go, i'd have to remove all the interior to find out

My suspicion is there is a converter box hidden somewhere that converts the sensor to Seatalk and the tridata head gets the speed and depth over seatalk. but that's only my theory,

Does anyone have any advice? is there likely a convert to seatalk somewhere and if so where?

there is also a C80 plotter which has long since died. i wonder if that is taking the sensor data from the transducers and converting to seatalk but i tried to buzz out the wires from the transducers to the C80 and nothing seemed to connect.

thanks
steveh2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 06:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Raymarine ST60 system how is depth/speed wired up?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...Tridata_OH.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 07:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Steve, do you have any of the other ST60s displays on board and do they work okay?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:24   #4

Boat: Oyster 53

Steve, you most likely have another ST60 Tri-data where the speed and depth wires are connected to, it then routes the data to the rest of seatalk devices.
beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 16:40   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510

It's possible you have the ST80 speed and depth transducers. They have a cylindrical converter pod that connects to the transducer, and spits out SeaTalk without the need to connect directly to an instrument first. I had them as well, but one of the pods **** the bed. I ended up connecting the transducers and wind directly to an ITC-5 and got rid of the pods. But that also requires getting an i70.
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 17:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Steve, do you have any of the other ST60s displays on board and do they work okay?

Pete
yes, the wind instrument is ok and the autopilot
the graphic unit isn't working but that's because its dead, not the cabling
Old 24-10-2018, 17:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckett View Post
Steve, you most likely have another ST60 Tri-data where the speed and depth wires are connected to, it then routes the data to the rest of seatalk devices.
that's what i'm thinking too but why is it so hard to find? its frustrating that Beneteau doesn't provide detailed manuals for these boats, after all they are mass produced, not a custom home built thing. i've searched online for wiring diagrams for oceania 523 but nothing.
Old 24-10-2018, 17:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
It's possible you have the ST80 speed and depth transducers. They have a cylindrical converter pod that connects to the transducer, and spits out SeaTalk without the need to connect directly to an instrument first. I had them as well, but one of the pods **** the bed. I ended up connecting the transducers and wind directly to an ITC-5 and got rid of the pods. But that also requires getting an i70.
i stripped the insulation off the cables from the transducers and i can see the 5 wires from the speed and 2 from depth and the colors match the color code on the back of the tridata.

if i can't figure out this problem soon, i think i'll just run a new cable under the floor to the helm where the tridata is and connect directly. bypass whatever Beneteau did
Old 24-10-2018, 19:25   #9

Do you have an st60 depth gauge? Not tri data. That is where they normally go.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 19:42   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, usually there is a depth and a speed gauge, and the wires go to them. They decode the depth and speed and send it over the Seatalk network. The tridata is often only taking this information from Seatalk. However, you can decode at the tridata should you wish. The device that is doing the decoding must be configured as the master, the other one is the slave. Even if they’re connected correctly, if both devices are set as slave then neither will display anything.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 04:18   #11

i just cut the cables in the transducer and ran new cables directly to the tridata. the depth briefly worked and now stopped (bummer) and the speed now reads 0.00 whereas before it was reading "---" so progress i guess. but when i spin the paddle wheel by hand (its not in the hull) it doesn't change from 0.00.

i checked and the tridate is configured as master for both depth and speed

i have access to another tridata so i'll try that to figure out if the problem with the tridata head or the transducers
Old 06-11-2018, 00:08   #12

i took my tridata unit to another boat which has raymarine ST60 and a seatalk bus on it and plugged in the tridata and it displayed depth fine when connected to seatalk.

the tridata is configured as a master for both speed and depth

but back on my boat, depth and speed transducers are wired directly to the tridata and that isn't working.

so my question, and i've read the manual and can't find anything, when the tridata is configured as master, how does it know if it should get data from seatalk or directly from the transducer? i don't see any kind of setting for that. thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 18:29   #13

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

If it’s the master, it reads the data from the transducer and sends it to seatalk. If it’s the slave, it reads the depth from seatalk.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 19:40   #14

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

You should hire a professional or at least find someone who knows what they are doing. Those cables you cut went to something that was likely visible and had you spent a few minutes looking you probably would have found it. I've never seen Beneteau hide anything but, I've only been doing this for thirty years what do I know.
Old 08-11-2018, 00:40   #15

well i've looked long and hard to find where the cables go, looked in every locker, under every sofa, table, the helm stations, etc and nothing. it should not be hard to identify, i see the color coding on the wires so it would be immediately obvious if i saw it.

as to finding a professional, not easy to do here in thailand

Tags
depth, marine, raymarine