Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 09:46   #1

Boat: Wharram Cat 12m Pahi schooner
Raymarine Smartpilot

I have a Raymarine Smartpilot X5 which cost a quite a bit. I installed it in Cape Town and sailed to Madagascar over a two month period. It worked great, even through 4 storms. two and a half years later and out of guarantee it stoped working - no compass data. I took it to SA when on a visit and the agent and I did a few tests. We found that the choke on the Fluxgate compass was faulty. He got x2 SMD chokes from the UK, free of charge and gave it to me to replace. I tried but working with SMD devices without the right equipment is near impossible. I Madagascar no such services.
Q - where can I get a complete board without paying a arm and a leg - a new board costs more than what I originaly paid. Crazy but true.
No on board is SPX5 15AMP PCB 4670-032
Lovako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 17:53   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Raymarine Smartpilot

You can try ebay. There is typically a couple of x-5 smartpilot electronic control units for sale. The S1 and S1G will also work in a pinch just don't use the clutch output.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 02:06   #3

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I don't about the X5 but I believe the X10/X30 can use an NMEA0183 input as a heading reference. Might be a cheaper/easier option than a board transplant.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 03:42   #4

Boat: Valiant 42
Raymarine Smartpilot

Is the compass bad or the pilot? Your description confused me about that.

Where are you in Madagascar?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 04:17   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

We have a member here on the forum who repairs autopilots and he runs his own ebay shop selling preowned units. You might want to try to PM CptnDan. I can't recall the exact spelling of his user name but along those lines. Maybe he can help. Good luck.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 00:45   #6

Hi Transmitterdan,
I had the board at the Raymarine agen in South Africa and we did some tests which showed that the surface mount device nl. a chock on the fluxgate compass line was faulty - they have a certain procedure to messure the oms on the different lines to know if it is faulty or not.
The agent was reluctant to do the solder job for me and gave me x2 chokes for me to find someone to do the job for me. Well the next day I flew out back to Madagascar, Nosy Be on the north-western side of Madland.
I doont have the right equipment to do smd devices.
Hope that cleared your Q
Old 19-10-2016, 00:47   #7

Appologies - it comes up with "no compass data" which stops it from going into opperating mode.
Old 19-10-2016, 02:58   #8

Boat: beneteau 11.5

I have the same problem-reads no compass- is it the problem with thefluxgate module or control module?
parado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 13:00   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

Most common problem is a broken or corroded wire. The compass connects to the control unit via some small wires. If the wires at the control unit connection are tight, look ok and no breaks in the cable then something else is wrong. Could be either unit is bad. There is a test using a meter for determining what is wrong. Visit https://Raymarine.ning.com and the helpful techs from Raymarine can most likely tell you how to test each unit.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 13:47   #10

Surface mounted components are nearly impossible
to repair by hand. This task is usually done by
high precision robots and component specific
tooling. In over 30 years in the television industry
I have only seen it done successfully twice and that was with relatively large SM resistors.
The guy who did it was old school Russian
trained engineer. If you try, have some freezing agent
at hand and never add any solder. Heat lands and pull component straight off then replace with new part. Whatever you do don't add solder
Good luck, low percentage for thrill of victory
Good luck
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 20:54   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
We have a member here on the forum who repairs autopilots and he runs his own ebay shop selling preowned units. You might want to try to PM CptnDan. I can't recall the exact spelling of his user name but along those lines. Maybe he can help. Good luck.
I tried to search for him and found a few, here is the correct one:

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Capn Dan
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 21:56   #12

Hi Parado,
the agent and I got info from Raymarine UK to measure ohs across the wires of the fluxgate and on the control board - we found the smd "choke" to be faulty.

I got this info off another Ausie site
Raymarine x5 autopilot - wheelpilot
I don't know about the X5 but I believe the X10/X30 can use an NMEA0183 input as a heading reference. Might be a cheaper/easier option than a board transplant.
………………………………
Connecting an auxiliary compass sensor to my autopilot...

The fluxgate compass of my Raypilot 650 system connects to the Course computer with five wires: can you tell me the function (by color)of these wires? I would like to connect, through a switch, an alternate compass which has only two wires (NMEA + and -). How can I do this?

At 09/18/2001 03:36 PM we wrote - You can not connect the NMEA Compass' NMEA output to the compass terminals of your course computer. The autopilot fluxgate talks to the course computer using a proprietary machine code, not NMEA.

You can connect the NMEA Compass output to the NMEA IN terminals on the course computer. Match the polarity and you should be all set. As far as switching the compasses goes, you would want to disconnect all 5 wires from the Raymarine compass if you wanted to read form the alternate compass sensor. You should only perform the switchover with the autopilot powered OFF, to minimize the possibility of a power spike when switching.

Tags
marine, raymarine