Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2013, 18:24   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Raymarine SL70C and ST Series Displays

My good old Raymarine instruments still work just fine, but a couple of the dislays are on their last leg. I dont think Ray repairs these units anymore. Replacing the LCD displays should be an easy job...assuming of course you can find a replacement part.

Know of anyone who can still repair/replace these displays?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 00:21   #2

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
My good old Raymarine instruments still work just fine, but a couple of the dislays are on their last leg. I dont think Ray repairs these units anymore. Replacing the LCD displays should be an easy job...assuming of course you can find a replacement part.

Know of anyone who can still repair/replace these displays?
I have the same problem, Raymarine is not good on customer service. I used to routinely change the LCD displays in the mid 90's and bought a complete package of Raymarine before starting on my RTW Cruise. All the instruments still function but are unreadable. I use a computer networked to the system to display nmea data. I will not buy Raymarine again. Garmin just replaced a gps unit at a minimal cha8rge and NASA in the UK did the same with an AIS.
Old 28-04-2013, 05:46   #3

My main concern is that my chartplotter is also my radar display....and Ive already wasted a month of my cruising season working on the boat...I can setup to get NMEA data, but radar I expect is more problematic.

Nothing to lose so I just cracked the SL70 open. Looks brand new inside except for the display. Swapping the display would be dead easy if I could find one. Looks like it was built by "Global Display Solutions" in England. A place to start looking anyway...also probably explains why I see a lot of older model Raymarine repair parts for sale in England...given the price of fancy new chart plotters these days I could go for a little vacation in merry old England...scrounge up one of these displays and still come out ahead!
Old 29-04-2013, 13:30   #4

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: Raymarine SL70C and ST Series Displays

It might be easier and cheaper to just find a complete (used) display unit on craigslist or eBay (I know well that can be a cr*apshoot, but there ain't too many alternatives).
Snag one and then cannabilize it, or your own unit, as to condition. This is almost always cheaper and more expedient than buying new (or refurb) replacement parts from Ray (or other mfgs), dealers, etc. This strategy applies to stuff like you have, for new stuff, reliable engine parts, etc., it may be best to get the OEM stuff (which can also sometimes be found this way too).
Most of my instrument suite is older gen RAymarine/JRC too, have replaced a few components this way.

eBay has an automated 'search' function in which you specify what you are looking for (and getting/wording the search terms can be tricky for some things, an * can be your friend, or not; you can also deselect terms), then eBay emails you a daily message (if a item is found) with a link to the new auction item listing (the search function runs for about six months unless you terminate it).
Then you do the usual bidding if desired on a particular item.

I have a number of these auto searches in their system, and every morning I get notified of new listings available on parts/stuff I am looking for.
It's painless, set it up and just have a look at the emails as they come in (or not).

That generation of Raymarine turns up frequently, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding some (new to you) head units worth bidding on.

Of course you can just login and run an instant search too, I've missed a few great deals by waiting on the daily notification to come across, while somebody else snapped the items up by searching proactively (the eBay auto search is a batch operation, they just process it once a day AFAIK).

Buena Suerte
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 05:46   #5

Yes, I am pursuing them on eBay too. They are going for a premium because I expect many like me would rather not redo their whole instrument system.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:33   #6

Raymarine does not seem to have a long term outlook for their customers. Raymarine has been bought and sold, not sure how many times, which may be a part of it. Unfortunately, their "repair" policies are "one price fits all", and it's a very expensive price - no matter how little work your equipment requires. Oh, and if it requires too much work, you're out of luck. So easy fix, Raymarine wins - hard fix, you loose.

On the bright side, they had huge market share in the U.S. You could most likely buy the same unit, or compatible upgrade from eBay or Craigslist for considerable less than their one price repair.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:23   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Well, I have an entirely different experience with Raymarine repair service on my RL70C. The dsplay essentially stopped working. Sent it in with knowledge that the full repair was going to be expensive- $700 I think. But they fixed it for $100.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43   #8

Ive had good experiences w Ray support too. Had a Tri Data display go out on me on its final day of warranty. They shipped a new one to me hassle free.

Unfortunately, I dont think repair services are available for PathFinder seres now at any cost.