View Poll Results: What is most reliable & supported Nav electronics brand
Raymarine 10 71.43%
Garmin 2 14.29%
SIMRAD 1 7.14%
B&G 1 7.14%
Furuno 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 02:37   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Arrow Raymarine setup - feedback

Hi All,

Looking at kitting out the 38 foot hood with a new Raymarine package.

Basically the 12" es Raymarine chartplotter/MFD in the cockpit with another 7" es Raymarine at the chart table.

Here is the gear list. Will be going off shore with it. Any comments?

Ray ES127 & ES7"
Ray P319
Ray RS150
Ray Quantum Q24C (Includes power cable 10m)
Ray AIS 650 Class B Transceiver (Includes programming fee)
Ray EV-400 Sail (Includes:EV-1 Sensor Core, p70 Autopilot Control Head, ACU-400 Actuator Control Unit (Includes the M81105 Rotary Rudder Reference), Evolution Cabling Kit, EV Unit O-Ring Pack (set of 2) and Wall Mounting Bracket.
Ray i70 System Pack
PACKAGE CONTAINS:
1ea E22172 i70 Instrument
1ea E70010 ITC-5
1ea A22154 DST800 Transducer
1ea E22078 Standard Wind Transducer
1ea A06031 Backbone Terminator
1ea A06074 Inline Terminator
1ea A06068 Backbone Cable 9M
1ea A06049 Power Cable

Anyone want to recommend a place to buy in the US?

Thanks

Al
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:46   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Raymarine setup - feedback

First of don't buy the ES127 for a couple of reasons. Raymarine runs about a three year life cycle on a product line and maybe another three years of serviceability after that. The ES is already a year and a half old. Think stale bread.

Also every ES we have had in the charter fleet mounted outside has lost the touch screen at about a year old. Raymarine has made good on all of them but it is a PIA.

Buy the new Axiom it is not much more expensive and is a very nice plotter. No buttons on points of entry for water on the surface. As for pricing any dealer on Amazon will likely be as cheap as you can buy at the retail level. Raymarine is running a rebate right now.

Other wise your wish list looks good. You need to draw the Seatalk NG network out. You will need a multi plug at both ends of the back bone. One at the pod or mounting location for the outside plotter, instrument, and autopilot head. Then another inside. If you go with the Axiom you will need an NG to nema2000 cord as the new Axiom line is Nema not NG. You also will want to be able to hook GPS up to you VHF for DSC calling so you will likely need a nema cable fro that as well.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:31   #3

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

now that sounds like good advice from someone who knows...i am assuming, becuase i don't. i envy you getting new gear, i am patching 20yo stuff together, and yes, raymarine no longer supports.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:53   #4

Post Re: Raymarine setup - feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
First of don't buy the ES127 for a couple of reasons. Raymarine runs about a three year life cycle on a product line and maybe another three years of serviceability after that. The ES is already a year and a half old. Think stale bread.

Also every ES we have had in the charter fleet mounted outside has lost the touch screen at about a year old. Raymarine has made good on all of them but it is a PIA.

Buy the new Axiom it is not much more expensive and is a very nice plotter. No buttons on points of entry for water on the surface. As for pricing any dealer on Amazon will likely be as cheap as you can buy at the retail level. Raymarine is running a rebate right now.

Other wise your wish list looks good. You need to draw the Seatalk NG network out. You will need a multi plug at both ends of the back bone. One at the pod or mounting location for the outside plotter, instrument, and autopilot head. Then another inside. If you go with the Axiom you will need an NG to nema2000 cord as the new Axiom line is Nema not NG. You also will want to be able to hook GPS up to you VHF for DSC calling so you will likely need a nema cable fro that as well.

Jay
Hi Jay.

Thats all damn good to know.

Does that advice for the es127 apply because yours are outside and got wet?

Do the touch screens on the es78 do the same?

Our es127 would only be in the cockpit when in use - we will be a doing a few weeks live aboard from time to time but otherwise it will be stored probably at home.

I looked at the Axiom - the only thing I don't like is it has no buttons! In bad weather this is a pain of course.

What are the raymarine warranties? 1 year?

PS: We are also looking to get the Icom M802 with a pactor for emails. Seems to be faster under good conditions that Iridium Go.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Raymarine is entry level. Consider a Garmin system.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:47   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Hi Jay.

Thats all damn good to know.

Does that advice for the es127 apply because yours are outside and got wet?

Do the touch screens on the es78 do the same?

Our es127 would only be in the cockpit when in use - we will be a doing a few weeks live aboard from time to time but otherwise it will be stored probably at home.

I looked at the Axiom - the only thing I don't like is it has no buttons! In bad weather this is a pain of course.

What are the raymarine warranties? 1 year?

PS: We are also looking to get the Icom M802 with a pactor for emails. Seems to be faster under good conditions that Iridium Go.
I cant say for sure about the cockpit. They are all permanently installed in dashes of modern boats. Suncovers on when at the dock. What the guests do when they are out on charter is another question. Being on charter boats that do 20 weeks a year surely makes some difference in the timeline for failure. We have on that we sold to the local Sea Tow guy a year ago that just starting acting up as well but it is used almost daily in an open boat.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 13:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
I cant say for sure about the cockpit. They are all permanently installed in dashes of modern boats. Suncovers on when at the dock. What the guests do when they are out on charter is another question. Being on charter boats that do 20 weeks a year surely makes some difference in the timeline for failure. We have on that we sold to the local Sea Tow guy a year ago that just starting acting up as well but it is used almost daily in an open boat.
I see the axiom models come with a remote which essentially adds back the controls that you loose being a pure touch screen.

Is the Axiom a newer model?

Have you had some axioms in your fleet that havent failed?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:54   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Raymarine is entry level. Consider a Garmin system.
This is what? Paid advertisement?
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:55   #9

The axiom was released way before it should have. And many functions do not work. They are not ready for market yet. Get something with the bugs already worked out. Or wait a while for the axiom and see if they get fixed
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:07   #10

Boat: Cataline 36 MKII

You'll need 2 terminators - one at each end
DennisRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:14   #11

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
The axiom was released way before it should have. And many functions do not work. They are not ready for market yet. Get something with the bugs already worked out. Or wait a while for the axiom and see if they get fixed

I second that. We bought an Axiom systems for one of our boats and are still waiting for the update for everything to work. Raymarine says about 1 more week but have been hearing that for a while. BTW. I have had Garmin, Furano, B&G. Raymarine works just fine, integrates well with its own systems and is pretty easy to install. Never had any major issues with their quality. This Axiom issue is a first for us. (and it's just software)

PS. We are still waiting on the Standard Horizon GX6500 AIS VHF Transceiver we order in April.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:35   #12

Time moves on and things change, but I have never had any water incursion with Raymarine. I can't say the same for Garmin. Never had a sceen fail, I keep them under cover except when underway. Would be nicer if Raymarine supported their products for 10 years, as mine have lasted that long and longer.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:10   #13

Boat: Boatless

As to the repeater at the nav station we use an iPad linked to the wifi of the e7 (effectively another unit) Works great and saves one more piece of equipment ;-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:38   #14

Boat: Riva 48

Today, the Axiom is lacking a number of useful features that will supposedly be added in the future via software. The Axiom is Android based so it is the right direction but it would take time.

When sailing offshore, you would notice that a chart plotter is not that useful and it is typically turned off. The key pieces you need are multiple autopilot control heads (helm, sleeping area, chart table) and VHF/AIS alarms. A radar is nice for monitoring weather - you would be seeing ships on AIS long before the radar picks them up. Close to shore and in harbors the radar is necessary as there are many smaller vessels without AIS.

Good luck.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 13:34   #15

Boat: Beneteau 49

I have had Raymarine on a Beneteau 49 for 10 years now. I am dissatisfied with their longevity and quality. The original c120 and 80 and fluxgate compass all failed. Replaced with an e125 and now it is slooowing down after a few hours of use. Had to replace the radar with the e125 because the old radar wouldn't talk to the new. Their networks have changed several times so you need translators for many instruments. I would go with the more stable Garmins if starting from scratch. Garment revolutionized aircraft instrumentation with their moving map GPSes (going from VOR needles to a moving map display was a huge improvement in IFR flying) and I think they have a better engineered system in boats too.
Utahsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine