Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 14:37   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Raymarine SeatalkNG cable question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I read it. Do you have easy access to one end of your current backbone? If so that seems the best solution. One blue connection to your current backbone end, terminator on the other blue connector. Yellow caps in place on yellow connectors and provided st to ng cable from white connector to st instrument. Power feed ONLY from your original backbone.
I do and that's the plan. I think I even have all the bits and pieces to put it all together so will give this a go next week. Wish me luck.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 14:39   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I believe the very latest Raymarine products are now using standard device net cable and connections.
I think I saw a reference to this during the course of my research. Just skimmed it and moved on as I was focused on figuring out the current project but I think that would be a plus for Raymarine to join the club.
Old 28-01-2018, 15:25   #18
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Just upgraded half of my legacy raymarine system to stng. I was able to easily connect my vesper ais (nema 2000) with a stock cable to the stng backbone. Works great.

You seem to have the rest of it sorted.
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 15:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
Just upgraded half of my legacy raymarine system to stng. I was able to easily connect my vesper ais (nema 2000) with a stock cable to the stng backbone. Works great.

You seem to have the rest of it sorted.
Thanks. Was that a Raymarine manufactured cable with STng connector on one end and a Devicenet connector on the other?

Did you connect the Vesper as a spur/drop directly onto the Raymarine backbone with aforementioned cable?
Old 28-01-2018, 15:50   #20
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

It was a stock raymarine cable from defender (iirc) .

Stng to nema2000.

Plug n play. No wires to splice.... Just make sure You have the length right and you have an available spur port, else you need a t connector..
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 20:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
You should be able to use an NG to Nema cable directly onto the converter. The yellow plug in the middle is for the Seat Talk to NG. You also need to plug the power cable provided with the converter into one of the white plugs. Then the second white plug will be the nema adapter cable. The two blue plugs should be terminated.
Jay
not if the n2k network is already powered. you should also cut the red wire on the seatalk cable. and only connect the yellow and sheild. otherwise the n2k bus will also get powered from the seatalk bus. nothing in the blue plugs if used as a drop
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 20:12   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
not if the n2k network is already powered. you should also cut the red wire on the seatalk cable. and only connect the yellow and sheild. otherwise the n2k bus will also get powered from the seatalk bus.
In my case I don't have a Seatalk bus but just a single Seatalk instrument, an ST40 Bidata display. The speed and depth transducers connect to the ST40 and get their power from from it. The ST40 is powered by the Seatalk cable that is connected only to 12V red and black so no data connection to anything.

In this setup I think the existing N2K backbone will power all the Seatalk and Seatalkng stuff.
Old 28-01-2018, 20:19   #23

these are your 2 options. both will work. you must follow all comments.

the blue stng backbone cable to n2k does not exist. you have to buy a blue stng backbone cable (does not come with converter), cut one end off, and make your own cable with an n2k field end. the stng to n2k cable can be bought or made
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9912.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	163014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9913.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	163015  

Old 28-01-2018, 20:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
In my case I don't have a Seatalk bus but just a single Seatalk instrument, an ST40 Bidata display. The speed and depth transducers connect to the ST40 and get their power from from it. The ST40 is powered by the Seatalk cable that is connected only to 12V red and black so no data connection to anything.

In this setup I think the existing N2K backbone will power all the Seatalk and Seatalkng stuff.
in that case, remove the 12v to the display, and connect the red between the adapter and display. then the display will be powered via n2k. then you don't have to worry about which is turned on first.
Old 29-01-2018, 02:25   #25

Boat: Hanse 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
One aspect of the whole NMEA thing that has taken a bit of work for me has been learning the terminology used by the different manufacturers, made more complicated because they like to use cool sounding names that don't really explain what they are or mean. It would have been a LOT easier if I had a dictionary of everyone's trade names and terms for this stuff.

Like SeatalkNG which is Raymarine's name for their NMEA system that seems compatible but uses connectors different from everyone else.

Devicenet I think is the name for the more common (dare I call them standard) connectors used by Garmin and Navico and others. Then under Devicenet there are mini and micro connectors.

Everyone including Raymarine seems to call the main line the backbone but Ray calls the links to individual devices a spur, everyone else calls it a drop.

I found a couple of online articles and resources but it still took a lot of reading and thinking and took more to learn the Raymarine differences.
Good summary...
I think the key to the Raymarine connector/cable difference is the current carrying capacity of the different types of connection. The 'backbone' cables have a greater current capacity than the 'spur/drop' cables. These matters are addressed differently by the other manufacturers with the choice of 'mini' or 'micro' connectors.

From my analysis, much of this is academic for small boat systems where the cable 'backbone' runs are usually less than 5m and the 'spur/drops' probably 1-3m. The N2K spec is based on the requirements of larger systems with long backbones and MANY spurs so the current carrying capacity has to be well managed.
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 02:51   #26

Boat: C&C 34

As others have said there is no specific Seatalk Ng to NMEA 2000 backbone converter. That being said there are multiple options.

1. Splice your NMEA 2000 backbone to a Raymarine NGT backbone. The easiest way is to buy a short Ng backbone cable and add a field attachable NMEA 2000 connector. Use NMEA 2000 hardware on one end and Ng hardware on the other end.

2. Have a NMEA 2000 network with NMEA 2000 to Ng drop cables at each Raymarine device. These are about $25 each cable.

3. Have a Ng network with Ng to NMEA 2000 drop cables.

As said earlier all new Raymarine stuff will have standard connections in the future.

Raymarine cabling is different than 2000 and it is a pain, but it does have some advantages like being able to push it thru a pedestal guard tube without cutting the end off.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 05:16   #27

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

To be clear, are you recommending that the Raymarine converter will work properly if it is connected to the n2k backbone via the Raymarine ng-n2k adapter drop cable to one of the yellow connections? Then the blue connections would have what? Caps, terminations?
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 06:12   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
To be clear, are you recommending that the Raymarine converter will work properly if it is connected to the n2k backbone via the Raymarine ng-n2k adapter drop cable to one of the yellow connections? Then the blue connections would have what? Caps, terminations?
Raymarine tech support specifically said to connect the SeatalkNG backbone (blue) to the NMEA2000 backbone, not to an NMEA2000 drop or from a Seatalk spur.

1. To the end of the backbone.
- Use a SeatalkNG backbone cable, plug one end into a blue connection on the converter
- Cut off the other end of the cable and install an NMEA2000 connector, M or F as needed by which end of the backbone you access.
- Remove a terminator from the NMEA2000 backbone and connect the cable
- Install a SeatalkNG terminator in the other blue connection on the converter.

2. To the middle of the NMEA backbone
- Use two SeatalkNG backbone cables, one to each blue plug on the converter.
- Cut other ends on both cables, install NMEA2000 Devicenet connectors on both ends, one M one F and connect the cables to the NMEA2000 backbone.

A couple of posters here have suggested that you can use a SeatalkNG spur (white plugs) to connect to a drop connection (T connector) on the NMEA2000 Devicenet. Raymarine did not suggest this as an option.
Old 29-01-2018, 06:12   #29

Boat: C&C 34
Raymarine SeatalkNG cable question

Quote:

After taking a look at the Seatalk converter manual I’ll have to revise what you specifically can do with the converter, all the other options above are good for any other Raymarine-2000 connections.

You can only hook it to the backbone. The best way is at the end of your current 2000 backbone.

Remove the resistor from the end of the NMEA 2000 backbone. Then make a 2000 to Ng converter out of a blue Ng backbone cable and a field replaceable 2000 connector.

Then connect the 2000 backbone to the Blue port on one end of the Seatalk 1 to Ng converter. On the other end of the seatalk converter install one of the resistors supplies in your kit.

Now you have two Seatalk Ng ports (white) and one Seatalk 1 to Ng port (yellow) and your NMEA 2000 backbone is complete with one 2000 terminator and one Ng terminator.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 06:20   #30

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
After taking a look at the Seatalk converter manual I’ll have to revise what you specifically can do with the converter, all the other options above are good for any other Raymarine-2000 connections.

You can only hook it to the backbone. The best way is at the end of your current 2000 backbone.

Remove the resistor from the end of the NMEA 2000 backbone. Then make a 2000 to Ng converter out of a blue Ng backbone cable and a field replaceable 2000 connector.

Then connect the 2000 backbone to the Blue port on one end of the Seatalk 1 to Ng converter. On the other end of the seatalk converter install one of the resistors supplies in your kit.

Now you have two Seatalk Ng ports (white) and one Seatalk 1 to Ng port (yellow) and your NMEA 2000 backbone is complete with one 2000 terminator and one Ng terminator.
Thanks for clarifying, that was my interpretation of RM's instructions as well.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, seatalk