Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 05:16   #1

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Raymarine Radar Belt Problem

Could use some help here. Our radar stoped working and the message was that it wasn't rotating. Were told the belt was probally in need of replacement and wasn't a difficult task. Located correct part number (that was interesting) and received replacement belt. Up the mast, replaced belt, YIPPEE it is rotating again. Came back to the boat the next day to try it out on the water. NO ROTATION AGAIN. The belt ( really an O-ring) had to be streached over the aray arm to install so was thinking maybe that streached it out? There isn't any way to adjust the tension that we can see. Wondered if there might be something we missed?
Less than a year as new boat owners and still in knowledge diapers.
Your healp would be appreciated.
Deby
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 08:23   #2

As you look down over the top of the antenna, you will see a circular plate with four holes in it that allows access to four screws. Remove these screws and you can then lift the antenna straight up and off to allow access to replace the belt properly.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 10:30   #3

Boat: gozzard 44
I had the same problem with the message, 'antenna not rotating'. Couldn't see anything wrong with the belt so I put the cover back on and it worked...for awhile. Then I tried bumping the radome with a large fender on a halyard. It's worked all of last year without a rebump. So, the belt seems OK, a loose wire connection?

It'll remain a mystery, in the Spring I'm replacing the 7 yr old radome with a HD/Digital system.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 11:00   #4

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
If you can see the antenna rotating and if it's approximately 24 rpm, your belt is fine. You could have problems with the optical fork that reads the rotation, or it coould be a cable issue. Either one would give you the same error message.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:11   #5

Boat: 2002 Wildcat 350
Thanks Eric,
I appreciate the answer. Will be going up and replacing the belt on Saturday. Got a answer back from the Raymarine customer support which said the same thing. Your directions helped make it much clearer. Plan to take pictures while we are up there and post, since many cruisers we spoke with had some of the same questions we did. This was our first time up the stick and the first time working on radar. Preparing for our first time to go the Bahamas in January. The anchorage is filling up for the annual St. Marys Thanksgiving Feast and most everyone is heading south. I really want my radar working for the trip.

Ronbo,
Freddie gave the dome quite a few butt bumps while he was up there . maybe thats why it worked for a while that evening! A local gave us a great tip 'put our ear to the mast when we turned on the radar and see if we could hear it humming" easy check for power to the array. Freddie said the belt felt a little loose after he streached it over the array arm so we feel pretty sure that is where our problem is. Hope to find out Saturday.
Thanks to all,
Deby
Want to sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 12:24   #6

Forgot to mention that you must rotate the antenna by hand to line up the holes over the screws underneath. The screws hold down the top plate of the bearing housing. It's been a while but I don't think you can line up all four at once so you must take the screws out because once loosened, you can no longer rotate the antenna. I doubt you have a philips head screw starter tool to hold onto the screws so you will need something to grab the screws from under the holes. A small pair of needle nose pliers or hemostats might work.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, raymarine