Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 02:59   #1

Raymarine p70 auto tack

Having used Raymarine extensively on my monohull for the 8 years I purchased an Admiral Catamaran and promptly upgraded all the instruments to include the Ev1 sensor core , ACU 200 , p70 , i70, i60, C127 chart plotter as well as a AIS 650 ! All works well except the auto tack function on the p70. When selecting auto tack a pop up message appears but the helm strts turning before you can accept and before the bow is through the wind the helm starts to return ending up in irons. I have been in contact with the Raymarine agent but to date (4 months) have not found a solution - any one else have a similar experience or possible fix ?

Note : on my previous monohull I used auto tack all the time without a problem it was a Raymarine S3 with an ST6002 control head
Alan N Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:14   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Raymarine p70 auto tack

I dunno Alan but we use the auto tack with our p70 and it works. I think there's a shortcut by pressing two buttons at once, but we always use the menu, options, auto tack port or starboard. When it's on the appropriate tack setting we
Prepare to tack
Hit enter
Lee oh

This usually works without a hitch. Sometimes in lighter breeze we might bear away a few degrees before tacking
Are you finding the true wind angle correct on both tacks? Maybe it's a setting there that thinks it's tacking through 20 degrees, where you actually want to tack through 40 degrees. Check in the plotter settings as well that magnetic variation is set to zero, not 15 degrees.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 13:44   #3

Thumbs up Re: Raymarine p70 auto tack

Thanks Monte - I have never used the menu - always the two shortcut buttons - will try it this week. I also checked magnetic variation which is set to auto , all wind angles and speed is set to apparent. will test variations on these as see how it goes. At least I now some has it working !!

Regards Alan
Old 01-06-2015, 14:04   #4

Forgive me for asking this but is all of the software current? I was just wondering if something in the system might be running an old software version...no idea if it might behave strangely if so...Updates are easy and there is actually software for things like Seatalk converters. I actually look forward to updating the system each year and relearning the old along with the new.
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:12   #5

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

+1 for software update... I have a p70 and its been updated a few times now

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:55   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

FWIW, the p70 doesn't turn the boat, the course computer does. Hence, I would look at the software on it.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 22:49   #7

The software is the latest versions - during discussions with the Raymarine agent I was advised that a major upgrade was due and it became available about two week ago - which was promptly uploaded but without change to the auto tack. There are however some great new features for sailing mainly racing.

Tags
marine, raymarine