Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2019, 15:16   #1

Boat: J/88
Raymarine MN100-2 with no plotter

Just bought this boat already put away for the winter and am trying to understand the instrument package. I see a masthead wind unit and a speed log plus 4 MN 100-2 displays. There is no plotter which I am used to in all my previous boats.
The displays seem to be wireless and the manuals show what they can display but I am wondering about adding a plotter and what that would entail? Does it make sense that if I added a Raymarine plotter that I could connect it to the instruments?
This boat does no have a binnacle as it is a tiller boat so I would still have to figure out where to mount a plotter, but I think I would be more comfortable with one.
Can I add one to the existing set of instruments?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 14-10-2019, 02:24   #2

Re: Raymarine MN100-2 with no plotter

Further research says these are Tack-tick instruments badged Raymarine after the company was bought by Raymarine. Really surprised how little information is available on them.
Dan
Old 14-10-2019, 18:53   #3

I have never seen them before. I'm guessing there is a base station of some sort? and I image that there is seatalk ng or nmea 2000 at the station?. if so you can connect to a plotter. you're going to have to figure out what you have. but I imaige there must be a way to share data out.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 03:21   #4

Smac, I have since learned that they are Tack-Tick instruments which Raymarine bought out and re-badged. I have also learned that by using NMEA I should be able to connect them to a plotter but have got no farther than that.
If anyone has positive or negative experience with the NMEA to plotter experience I would love to hear it. There is a pilot on the boat but I am not so concerned with connecting it to the plotter as I am having the other data on the plotter to use when plotting courses. I am not sure if my experience will be different given that there is no binnacle so the plotter will be somewhere not in such direct eyeline as I am used to.
On an arm in the companionway is one option that I would like input on as well. She does have a big cockpit so my old eyes would be a long way from that location...
Dan

Tags
marine, raymarine