Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 21:30   #1

Boat: Jason 35 cutter
Question Raymarine linear drive type 1

Does anyone know if a B & G autopilot can control a Raymarine linear drive type 1? I'd like to continue using the drive but want the sailing features offered by B & G.
SaulTeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 21:56   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Raymarine linear drive type 1

Yes. Just fine.

Matt
Old 13-10-2016, 22:23   #3

Out of the box or are there special connections involving adapters? Is this combination of equipment (I also have a Zeus2 12" MFD) what you are using? Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 14-10-2016, 16:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulTeaDog View Post
Out of the box or are there special connections involving adapters? Is this combination of equipment (I also have a Zeus2 12" MFD) what you are using? Thanks for taking the time to reply.

All you need for any autopilot linear drive (except alpha) is high amp pos/neg feed and a lower amp pos/neg for the clutch engagement -These are sent by the autopilot computer. All Simrad/B&G autopilot computers have these outputs. The AC12 is the old model.... it was replaced by the NAC-2.

Matt
Old 14-10-2016, 17:07   #5

Thank you for the detailed information. Looks like I'll have a very slightly used Raymarine ACU 200 up for sale shortly.
Old 14-10-2016, 18:20   #6

Shoot me a PM if you need any specific help. Just tell me what equipment you currently have, and I'll be happy to suggest a few things.

Matt
Old 15-10-2016, 16:29   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Does anyone know if a B & G autopilot can control a Raymarine linear drive type 1? I'd like to continue using the drive but want the sailing features offered by B & G.
What does B&G do for you that Raymarine doesn't?
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 23:37   #8

To my knowledge, B&G is very sailing oriented and since I cannot control the raymarine autopilot with the B&G Zeus2 MFD (checked with both Raymarine and Navionics) I need the B&G autopilot which can control the linear drive Type 1 and hence have control from the MFD. This should enable me to see on screen suggestions for tacks to take to get from point A to point B taking into consideration local tidal currents, true wind direction and speed and other performance parameters related to my particular boat. If you know differently, fill me in.
Old 16-10-2016, 14:33   #9

I don't know about the tacking mode. but it will certainlly follow waypoints if you connect the ray pilot to the zues. you will have to engage the pilot from the pilot screen though and put it into nav mode. so you need both screens.

I would certainly connect them and try it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 14:49   #10

Boat: Little Harbor 38

No problem. I have a Simrad autopilot (same as B&G) running a type one. Works great.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 09:13   #11
cruiser

Quote:
To my knowledge, B&G is very sailing oriented and since I cannot control the raymarine autopilot with the B&G Zeus2 MFD (checked with both Raymarine and Navionics) I need the B&G autopilot which can control the linear drive Type 1 and hence have control from the MFD. This should enable me to see on screen suggestions for tacks to take to get from point A to point B taking into consideration local tidal currents, true wind direction and speed and other performance parameters related to my particular boat. If you know differently, fill me in.
I am a certified Raymarine Installer and Service Provider (and most familiar with this brand of marine electronics), but I am perfectly happy to sell and install any brand a customer desires.

This discussion reminds me of a few years back when my son was telling me why his new (and very expensive) phone was so great.

He started rhyming off all of the "really cool new things" it could do.

With each item, I said, "Yep, been doin' that on this 4 year old phone since I got it."

B&G does a great job marketing to the racing sailor.

However, I don't know if they do anything significantly new and unique compared to others.

For the particular functions you queried, Raymarine MFDs operating Lighthouse 17 firmware include start line and layline functions, which take into account the vessel polars, wind conditions, vessel speed, leeway, current drift, etc.

The user can easily set up a "Racing" display page on the MFD, including pretty much all the same data.

In fact, when people ask me which brand they should choose, here is my response...

All brands do basically the same thing.

I recommend choosing one brand and sticking with it for maximum compatibility and minimum finger-pointing when something goes wrong.

In my opinion, Raymarine has better core technology (especially autopilot and thermal imaging) than others.

Beyond that, it's really a personal "style preference" and "value for money" decision.

"Which brand appeals to you most?"

For your particular situation, by switching from Raymarine ACU 200, you are giving up a 9 axis gyro for a 2 axis fluxgate compass, which is not so great if optimum autopilot performance is important.
Old 19-10-2016, 16:40   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Please pardon thread hijacking...

Rod, I keep seeing the "9 axis" label on a/p ads. Sounds very impressive, but I've been trying to figure out what those 9 axis (axes?) might be, and I keep coming up short. Could you list them out for me? I'd appreciate it.

Jim
Old 19-10-2016, 16:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Rod, I keep seeing the "9 axis" label on a/p ads. Sounds very impressive, but I've been trying to figure out what those 9 axis (axes?) might be, and I keep coming up short. Could you list them out for me? I'd appreciate it.

Jim
it's 3 axis compass, 3 axis gyro 3 axis accelerometer

Matt
Old 19-10-2016, 17:03   #14

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:

Jim
like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-Axis.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	133201  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:33   #15
cruiser

Quote:

Jim
Yup, what they said.

Tags
linear drive, marine, raymarine