I wanted to update everyone - you might be right regarding the electrical connections. I made a jumper wire with small crimp-on connectors and remeasured voltages. In doing so, I discovered that one of the crimp-on connectors to the clutch and power
were loose and actually came apart as I was goofing around with the wires.
I tried to route
a new cable from the console to the autohelm
- I don't have any way to route
a new wire to the autohelm
. Since this is an intermittent problem, I don't want to leave the NavPod open and wires in the cockpit
As the next step, I decided to redo all the existing electrical connections. I replace and crimped (good) on the control head, clutch and 12v power
to the autohelm. My few tests today were positive. Over the next few weeks we'll see if this makes a difference. If not, I'll then revert back to the new/test wire that I prepared.
I don't have any expectations that this will work
. At least now I've got good, solid, electrical connections at the clutch and power to the autohelm. This is just the next right step to eliminating causes before making the decision to have Raymarine rebuild
the autohelm. At least I will have ruled out everything I/we can think of!
The saga continues (I'm tired of dealing with it, but I'm persistent!) - thanks again,