Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2011, 21:48   #31

Re: Raymarine Gyro Sensor Upgrade for $25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumbunctious View Post
I gave up trying to get NMEA data into my S1, not wanting to switch out all my other gear for Raymarine specific variants. I just rely on the fluxgate compass. Pity.
NMEA is a very broad spec, unfortunately in many cases. You may need to resort to some NMEA interface box that can translate sentences to what the Raymarine wants. A careful inspection of the two device manuals might give some clues as to why one sends certain information that is then ignored by the other. It's complicated and frustrating.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 22:44   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Did you ever think of using a raymarine gps and one of their chart plotters the S1 was designed to work with?
Yes, hence my stating that I did not want to switch out all my *existing* gear.

The point of *standards* like NMEA is so that one doesn't have to stick to a single brand. Whether NMEA is too poorly specified and/or whether Raymarine deliberately introduced incompatability into their implementation of it, either way, it's a fail in my book.
rhumbunctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:51   #33

You state that you have tried several GPS'S, but none of them Raymarine and now you diss RM because you can't make it work with Garmin. Surely it's like trying to fit a GM part on a Ford. RM chartplotters offer a lot of features one of which is compatibility with their AP'a
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:59   #34

Quote:
You state that you have tried several GPS'S, but none of them Raymarine and now you diss RM because you can't make it work with Garmin. Surely it's like trying to fit a GM part on a Ford. RM chartplotters offer a lot of features one of which is compatibility with their AP'a
I'm wondering whether you understand the point of a standard. The whole point of NMEA is to allow devices from *different* manufacturers to interoperate. I have no problems interfacing all my other NMEA gear with each other. I've only ever had problems with Raymarine. If Raymarine isn't going to actually honor the standard, but only play lip service yet distort their implementation to be non-compatible in reality, then that will make me avoid Raymarine products, because it says something about the company.

Not everyone has the cash to always replace every piece of their equipment with the same brand in order to have it all interoperate (hence the purpose of standards). If/when my autopilot fails permanently, I will probably go with something other than Raymarine, and expect to then finally get some interoperability with my other existing gear.
rhumbunctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 06:59   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Some posters in this thread show that they need to read NMEA 0183 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Standards are designed to make things compatible.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 11:58   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhumbunctious

I'm wondering whether you understand the point of a standard. The whole point of NMEA is to allow devices from *different* manufacturers to interoperate. I have no problems interfacing all my other NMEA gear with each other. I've only ever had problems with Raymarine. If Raymarine isn't going to actually honor the standard, but only play lip service yet distort their implementation to be non-compatible in reality, then that will make me avoid Raymarine products, because it says something about the company.

Not everyone has the cash to always replace every piece of their equipment with the same brand in order to have it all interoperate (hence the purpose of standards). If/when my autopilot fails permanently, I will probably go with something other than Raymarine, and expect to then finally get some interoperability with my other existing gear.
I really don't wish to stand into a argument with you, but how can you purchase a RM AP and not check if it's compatible with Garmin? I haven't read all the Raymarine documentation, but I believe the interface between AP/chart plotter/GPS is intended to be Raytalk and not NEMA. NEMA 0183 is only used, as I read it, to set up the AP and Controller.
Seems you are dissing RM without reason, it's not their fault you can't afford one of their chart plotters
Anyway, this Bazzer out...
Old 24-07-2011, 12:24   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I really don't wish to stand into a argument with you, but how can you purchase a RM AP and not check if it's compatible with Garmin? I haven't read all the Raymarine documentation, but I believe the interface between AP/chart plotter/GPS is intended to be Raytalk and not NEMA. NEMA 0183 is only used, as I read it, to set up the AP and Controller.
Seems you are dissing RM without reason, it's not their fault you can't afford one of their chart plotters
Anyway, this Bazzer out...
Raytalk? don't you mean Seatalk?
NEMA? don't you mean NMEA?

Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 12:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

Raytalk? don't you mean Seatalk?
NEMA? don't you mean NMEA?

Nick.
Yep, trying to type and sail at the same time!!
Old 09-08-2011, 22:34   #39

Boat: Jeanneau 39i

I want to try this low cost rate gyro! My non-G pilot won't drive with the spinnaker up, where as my last boat ages ago with gyro Raymarine pilot would. But I too am a bit confused which gyro to buy or voltage regulator. Can someone please send a link where and which components you have purchased.
rdyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:01   #40

Boat: Oday 30

Earlier, I wrote about removing the rate of turn engine from a RM Gyroplus II, and adding it to an S1 Autopilot to bring it up to S1G specs. One of these ROT engines is currently listed on Ebay, and you may at least find the picture interesting: Raymarine GYRO UPGRADE S1, S2, S3 Smartpilots & 150/400 (item number 110726466119)

(I can vouch for the seller, who is also a member of this forum, but I have no involvement in the listing.)
RecoveringRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 23:21   #41

Maybe off topic, I have Simrad IS15 equipment installed. Would this whole idea also work in combination with my TP32?? Any thoughts would be great.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35   #42

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37

What you should check is not the display but the calculator attached to your pilot.
Check documentation Autopilots | SIMRAD YACHTING if you have an entry point for a rate gyro, then no reason why the same technique could not be applied.
fulup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:57   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulup View Post
What you should check is not the display but the calculator attached to your pilot.
Check documentation Autopilots | SIMRAD YACHTING if you have an entry point for a rate gyro, then no reason why the same technique could not be applied.
Ok, will check the link. I don't have a display or AP instrument to control the tiller pilot. Or don't I understand what you mean by display?
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 13:27   #44

I have had the non-G S1 autopilot for 6 years and never found it to be reliable or even useful in cross waves/wind. After making the above gyro board and installing it I am now more than pleased with the S1! If you do the same, don't forget to go to Dealer calibration and Autolearn. The S1 will then make a few turns and "learn" the optimum settings. This makes a world of difference!
Segran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 17:09   #45

Boat: Fantasia 35

Segran,

Welcome to CF and thank you for the very useful post.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gyro, raymarine