Might be worth a try if all else fails......
I purchased a raystar 120 nmea gps (made by raymarine) antenna
along with an autohlem chart plotter from ebay. The raystar antenna
had never been used. When I wired it all up & turned on the power, it took forever to aquire a fix - thinking that because I purchased from the northern hemisphere & I am in the southern, i just thought it would take a long time to find out where it was - after 12 hours I gave up.
Not to be defeated, I borrowed a laptop
from work that has commercial
quality navigation software
on it (Endeavour Navigator) and wired the GPS unit to the serial
port - again no fix.
has an option where you can view the nmea data strings that are being received from the external device (i guess like hyperterminal does) and could see that while data was being recived (at least I knew the gps was powered up & sort of working as there are no leds on this model) the nmea sentence for the positional data was blank..
I thought I had done my dough & was thinking of giving up (at least I got a good chart plotter out of it) when something possesed me to take the antenna apart to see what it looks like inside.
After unscrewing it, I found an internal battery
& thought it may be flat and causing the problem - after desoldering it carfully I tested with my multimeter & found it OK so I just put it back in fearing the worst. To my amazement when I connected it back up for one last try it aquired a fix in about 30 seconds!!!
I figure that it somehow needed a "reboot" to use a computer term - maybee I stuffed it up with an incorrect wiring assignment early in the piece & it just needed a restart. Anyway it worked for me & the unit is happily working with both the cart plotter & often borrowed work laptop
6 months down the track...
As I said - it may work for you if all else fails before you throw it away.