Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 07:12   #1

Boat: Passport 615. Renovatio.
Raymarine 'G' Digital Radar Issue

As shot as possible....

New boat being built overseas. My choice, after much study and discussion was to go with Raymarine G series equipment or the new Furuno NavNet 3D. Following are the issues:

I love what both Furuno and Raymarine offer. I think I would be happy with both. The only problem I can see with Raymarine currently is that they do not offer a digital radome yet. I have spoken with sever contacts at Raymarine. There is a possibility that it will be "shown" at either Ft. Lauder in October, 08 or Miami in Feb, 09. If it's Ft. Lauderdale, it should be available for general delivery 1st Q in 09. If Miami, 2nd Q 09. Either way it will be next year.

Because of the cost savings of having most of the electronics installed at the yard in China, I have decided to go with Raymarine. There is an authorized Raymarine shop in the city. The cost savings based on labor rates is very high. If there was a FURUNO shop near, I would haved leaned to NavNet 3D.

Because of the lack of the digital radome not being available, I would have to install all E series equipment. My idea is the following:

Install all G series equipment and attach a 48" 4kw open array on a post at the stern of the boat (62ft). Later, when the radome is available, install it on the mast which will have been pre-wired and pedistal ready. I plan on having a wind power generator on the boat and when the open array is removed I will use the same post to intall the wind system.

I see the total cost difference after reselling the open array even with a 75% loss to be a total of 3K. The cost to go with FURUNO installed at Ft. Lauderdale would be much, much more. Also, I like the E series equipment but don't wont to go with a 3 to 4 year old system.

Any problems with this thought process?
michael201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:50   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
No one ever answered you? Where is that helpful Cruisers Forum spirit?

I don't know if it's too late, but I think that the Raymarine digital radome is already out: RAYMARINE E92131 - RAYMARINE RD424D 4KW 24" DIGITAL RADOME 10M CABLE - RADAR - DOME - Marine Products
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 13:13   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Furuno stuff cannot be compared to Raymarine. ist apples and oranges. If you can afford it by Furuno. Raymarine is mostly toy stuff. ( My E series crashes when I turn doen the backlight in nught mode!).
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, raymarine