Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 20:23   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Raymarine EV100 wheepilot: Is this right way to include speed data through SeaTalkNG?

Installing a new EV100 autopilot. Up until this point I have only had very basic instrumentation consisting of one i50 depth display and one i50 speed display (connected to separate transducers).

I'd like to get my speed data in to the EV100 properly, but I'm a little unfamiliar with SeaTalkNG and backbones vs spurs etc. I have done some reading and think I have it figured, just looking for confirmation of whether I have this right or not.

This is mockup of what I think I should do:

Almost all of mockup it is verbatim out of EV100 install manual, just looking for confirmation that I'm adding the two i50 displays correctly. Can I go from a T piece (terminated on one end) to the speed and then just connect the speed to the depth? Or do I have to do separate spur to speed and separate spur to depth? I don't need the depth info on the network right now but want to set things up right for future use.

Any feedback appreciated (also posted this to Raymarine forum but those don't always appear very quickly, and their attachment function throws javascript errors so couldn't post my mockup).

Thanks!

-- Bass
Old 09-04-2018, 05:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Raymarine EV100 wheepilot: Is this right way to include speed data through SeaTal

I don't see what you gain from trying to add depth and speed to the network. I had the option but preferred to keep it all separate from the chart plotter. The EV100 is a great little unit btw, really impressed with it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:48   #3

Re: Raymarine EV100 wheepilot: Is this right way to include speed data through SeaTal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I don't see what you gain from trying to add depth and speed to the network. I had the option but preferred to keep it all separate from the chart plotter. The EV100 is a great little unit btw, really impressed with it.

Pete
Glad to hear you like your EV100, hoping it's more reliable than the ST4000 that's on there now.

Adding depth doesn't really matter, I just figure I ought to have it on the SeaTalk network in case I ever get around to something that can put my SeaTalk data on wifi. (I don't have any sort of dedicated plotter, just a laptop with PolarView on it).

But they said for best results to have some source of speed going into the network so the EV100 can use your current speed to make correct rudder adjustments...but maybe that's not a big deal on a sailboat with such a small speed range?

Any other tips you have on the EV100 much appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Bass
Old 09-04-2018, 06:26   #4

Boat: Hylas 49

I beleive you need to run a separate spur cable for depth. You can't connect instrument to instrument on NG.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:40   #5

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I beleive you need to run a separate spur cable for depth. You can't connect instrument to instrument on NG.
According to the i50 installation manual, you can daisy-chain the i50, i60, and i70 displays using SeaTalk-ng spur cables.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
According to the i50 installation manual, you can daisy-chain the i50, i60, and i70 displays using SeaTalk-ng spur cables.
Thanks... found the online version of the i50 manual and it shows this schematic with two instruments daisy chained, so I think you're right:
Old 09-04-2018, 07:02   #7

Boat: Hylas 49

I stand corrected!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:16   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:

Pete
Giving the pilot speed reference helps it decide how much and how fast to turn the wheel. Rudder angle reference helps also. The more info and accurate info the better (less hunting/power consumption).
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:34   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Giving the pilot speed reference helps it decide how much and how fast to turn the wheel. Rudder angle reference helps also. The more info and accurate info the better (less hunting/power consumption).
The EV asks how long it takes to turn the wheel during the set up. With a waterline length giving maximum velocity in single figures I found the EV100 didn't need the speed or rudder angle reference, thankfully as it can be a pita to mount the reference unit which isn't supplied and seem to cost a fortune even second hand.

It really was fit and forget. During last year we used it extensively in the cruising mode whilst we sat back and admired the view.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:58   #10

Quote:
The EV asks how long it takes to turn the wheel during the set up. With a waterline length giving maximum velocity in single figures I found the EV100 didn't need the speed or rudder angle reference, thankfully as it can be a pita to mount the reference unit which isn't supplied and seem to cost a fortune even second hand.

It really was fit and forget. During last year we used it extensively in the cruising mode whilst we sat back and admired the view.
Happy to hear the stock install has worked well for you.

I am going to try to forgo the rudder reference unit as well, as it seems a big undertaking, but since I already have the i50 speed was thinking (and it does seem so) I might as well wire in the speed sensor for accuracy.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
Yes I'm trying to get this as accurate as possible, after a bunch of struggling with the ST4000+ I'm really hoping this will work better, just want to do as much up front to make the process work.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:38   #12

Boat: Pearson 10M

In my experience
Autohelm ST 4000 wheel pilot - great piece of gear until control head started to rattle with loose parts after 15+ years.

Raymarine ST4000+ Junk never worked correctly no matter how many times I tried to calibrate it.

Raymarine EV-100 wheel great piece of gear for the year that i've had it.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:40   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Yes the EV will work without the extra stuff but much better with it. I'm using it way over the limit of boat size temporary solution ( 4 years now... So I set it up to make it as easy on it as I can. It has worked well and will be a backup after I get the long linear drive.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:30   #14

Do you need to supply a separate 12v to the SeaTalkng? I thought the ACU would do that unless you specifically turned that function off.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 17:47   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiekeith View Post
Do you need to supply a separate 12v to the SeaTalkng? I thought the ACU would do that unless you specifically turned that function off.
ACU 100 can’t power the network. The other ACUs can.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine, marine, seatalk