Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2015, 04:43   #1

Boat: 34-ft
Raymarine EV-100 and B&G Zeus Touch

I have a B&G Zeus Touch / Triton / GoFree instrument system on a N2K backbone on a 10-meter sailboat. I am trying to find out whether I can install a Raymarine EV-100 Wheel Autopilot, and have it connected into the existing system such that instrument data are shared with the EV-100 AND that I can control the EV-100 using the Zeus Touch.

I have tried to ask this on the Raymarine forums, but have not been able to get forum membership yet. Has anyone done this, or is this unreasonable?
WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 05:04   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Raymarine EV-100 and B&G Zeus Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterGod View Post
I have a B&G Zeus Touch / Triton / GoFree instrument system on a N2K backbone on a 10-meter sailboat. I am trying to find out whether I can install a Raymarine EV-100 Wheel Autopilot, and have it connected into the existing system such that instrument data are shared with the EV-100 AND that I can control the EV-100 using the Zeus Touch.

I have tried to ask this on the Raymarine forums, but have not been able to get forum membership yet. Has anyone done this, or is this unreasonable?
I have no direct experience with what you are trying to accomplish. But there is no reason it should not work. I am sharing data between Furuno and RM autopilot over N2k without issue. The EV-1 will be your heading sensor on the N2k network and the ACU-100 will accept navigation (track) data from your Zeus Touch.

An issue is the proprietary RM STng cabling. You'll need the correct adapter cable to connect it to your N2k network.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 05:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:

You'll need a Raymarine SeaTalkng to NMEA 2K cable and then they can see each other on the network. As for "controlling" the AP from the Zeus, in terms of STBY, AUTO +10, -10, +1, -1 etc., that all needs to be done from the Raymarine P70 control head, not the Zeus.

You can also buy a Raymarine wireless remote control, very handy, but be aware that these operate on the SeaTalk 1 legacy protocol and the EV100 does not support this ST1 without the Seatalk 1 to SeaTalkng converter kit, which is Raymarine part # E22158 .
Old 13-08-2015, 05:42   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Call B&G Tech Support, and ask them. If they say "no", believe it. It they say "yes", then ask them how it works/interfaces. If they can't explain exactly how it works, then you know the answer is "no."

I have a Zeus2 and a Raymarine S1 wheel autopilot. The autopilot gets the waypoint data ok, as well as the wind data too. (It's all on the NMEA 2000 network.) AP can steer to apparent wind, the waypoint/route, or just to the compass heading. However I DO NOT think the controls on the Zeus to tell the autopilot to change course by 1 deg, or 10 deg, or to tack, will work.

As a side note, I checked with B&G before buying my system components, and asked specifically whether the "call" feature on the Zeus would work with an Icom radio. It is a button that allows a direct DSC call to an AIS target that you have selected on the screen. What I got back from them was an absolute "yes" regarding my Icom model choice. After buying and hooking up, what I found was that it didn't work. Contacted them, and they changed the story and it had to be a B&G VHF to work. Ok, then how does it work? Not a PGN as is typical of NMEA2000, but instead a proprietary B&G command sent to the radio. Duh, how in the hell did they ever think this was going to work in the first place? Because their tech just read their sales literature - which I had read as well - and it said all that was required was a DSC VHF radio.

Ok, and it get's better. After five months of we are working on it, they finally say it is not a priority = not working on it. Insist that I ditch my new Icom and buy their B&G. (The B&G is half the cost, but Icom is a better VHF - IMHO.) So what I find out from a half dozen other people with the Zeus and B&G radio is that their call button doesn't work either! No one that I know of has this feature working. One person says B&G Tech told them the software is not written for it yet. Hmmm, so that is not what the two other B&G Techs told me.

I like my Zeus2. B&G 4G radar is being installed now (the mast is off for rigging, and they are installing a conduit for radar cable at same time). I hope that interfaces ok. Otherwise, I don't think you can count on Zeus to control anything that is not B&G made. And then even with B&G to B&G, I would be skeptical. If they were using standard N2K PGN's, then it likely would work. But if they are taking the route of proprietary sentences to control, then I think you are out of luck.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 05:45   #5

Thanks for the responses. I know that I will need the SeaTalkng-to-N2k converter cable, but the responses are a bit confusing. Do I understand correctly that, 1) I will not be able to control the autopilot in the sense of +1/+10, etc, and 2) I WILL be able to have the autopilot follow tracks set through the Zeus Touch.

The wireless remote is another mess to deal with. I hate to have to set up a legacy item for this. I wonder if there is some way to use a remote through the GoFree wifi, which is wirelessly sending/receiving NMEA0183 and putting those data onto the N2k network.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:49   #6

Quote:
Do I understand correctly that, 1) I will not be able to control the autopilot in the sense of +1/+10, etc, and 2) I WILL be able to have the autopilot follow tracks set through the Zeus Touch.
Agree you will not be able to control the AP with Zeus, and will have to use the AP control head.

I know that my Raymarine AP sees waypoints from the Zeus2, and will steer to them if selected. I have not tried steering to a route defined by the Zeus2, but my guess is that would work as well - since it will steer to a waypoint.
Old 13-08-2015, 05:54   #7

Sailjumanji - For AIS, I have it displayed on my Zeus from the SH VHF, but if I want to call a target I just use the VHF to pick which one and call. I have a dedicated GPS wired to the radio, but use the internal Zeus GPS for the other GPS needs - maybe not the best GPS to use, but fine for my purposes.

I really just need to call B&G today to resolve this. My main requirement is for the autopilot to be able to follow a track from the Zeus.

Also,...Port A...will I see you in the HMR this year?
Old 13-08-2015, 06:10   #8

Have done Harvest Moon about six times, most years on a Corsair 28R trimaran we used to own. Last time was in 2010, on the Seawind. We have a pretty good record going. In 2000, we were actually the second boat to cross the finish line, behind the 46 ft carbon "Bird" tri. But this year we will be on the boat heading to Alabama (friends house) or Florida (marina). Getting the boats partial-way to Florida, then coming back in late Feb or early March, cruising down the coast, then crossing into Bahamas in April, and maybe Abacos, then starting back by July 1. And to-date, longest we have spent on the boat is two weeks!

Yes, I have a Vesper 8000 XB AIS, and I get the AIS targets on the Zeus. Really cool as you tap on the ship icon, and their name and all of their info comes up. I know I can DSC thru the VHF, but that unit is in the companionway, and while it is easy to reach the knobs and mic, its not so convenient to kneel down and pick out little ships on the screen to call. Not as convenient as the Zeus2 system would do if it worked as advertised. That's the pisser.

I have three GPS antennas. Vesper has a dedicated one, the built-in one on the Zeus2 (which I am not using, because it is under a hard top), and an integrated compass/GPS (B&G ZG100) that allows for radar overlay. As you know, Zeus2 allows you to select which one - they are all on the N2K system- you want to use. A couple of people told me I would be disappointed with the built-in GPS, especially under a hard top.
Old 13-08-2015, 08:13   #9

Boat: Union cutter 33

We also have B&g radar and chartplotters luv them word of cation be sure to have a certified radar tec install it...not marine electronic s tec...big difference our radar didn't work for 2 months because of improper install..we use B&g autopilit on our catalina 34 and has worked flawlessly
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 08:53   #10

Quote:
The wireless remote is another mess to deal with. I hate to have to set up a legacy item for this. I wonder if there is some way to use a remote through the GoFree wifi, which is wirelessly sending/receiving NMEA0183 and putting those data onto the N2k network.
I am going the route of the Madman Marine remote unit. Friend of mine has one, has used it for several years, loves it. Half the price of the Raymarine unit. Google it. I also think the company rep is on CF. He might chime in.
Old 14-08-2015, 01:42   #11

you will not have AP control from the zeus. only a newer simrad / B&G pilot.

the raymarine will follow a waypoint from the zeus. but the autopilot will have be be engauged and nav mode selected using the raymarine display. vs seemless control from the zeus. IE create waypoint, zeus asked you if you want to go to it.

simrad / bng has a wireless remote that is n2k for their pilots
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 03:10   #12

Thanks, everyone, for your inputs. Raymarine has still not sent me the email granting me access to ask questions on their technical forum, but B&G responded directly and immediately to my concerns (even though I am a very small-time player for them).

I will go ahead and install the EV-100 wheel autopilot, as it is far less expensive than the B&G and is actually just replacing the ST4000+ that was originally in the boat. I will also tie it into the N2k backbone. I really just need to be able to tell the autopilot that I need a short break, please keep heading for the next waypoint.

I will give an update and system description in a couple of weeks after I complete and try it out, if anyone is interested.
Old 14-08-2015, 04:19   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
actually just replacing the ST4000+ that was originally in the boat.

If you have a rudder reference sensor with your ST4000+ DO NOT remove it, instead continue to use it with the new EV 100 and the EV will perform significantly better. The newer units do not come standard with a rudder position sensor and they have remained unchanged for over 20 years and still work with the current products and are a rather beneficial add on.... A rudder reference sensor is standard installation practice for me, even with the newer EV units.

Quote:
I really just need to be able to tell the autopilot that I need a short break, please keep heading for the next waypoint.
You do this via the new P-70 Raymarine AP head. Just set it to steer to the B&G course...

Quote:
I will give an update and system description in a couple of weeks after I complete and try it out, if anyone is interested.
While the new EV sensor is better about being affected by placement or external metals it is still advisable to install it using the same type of criteria we used on the older fluxgate compasses for external interference and placement.. You will likely require a few drop cables and a Seatalk to SeaTalkng converter if you have legacy SeaTalk devices...
Old 14-08-2015, 08:09   #14

WG, some really good insight from MaineSail. Frankly, I knew when I purchased the Zeus2 that the Raymarine AP was not going to interface. Lots of people told me I needed to change out the ST components, and get fully integrated. For me, keeping the ST depth and ST wind were just economic decisions - as I would just be changing out systems that worked and were paid for! Plus the ST to STng converter did a great job of getting that data onto the N2K backbone for display on the B&G Zeus2.

As for the Ray AP, I like having the separate control head there, rather than having to tap the Zeus2 to get the AP display up, make the course correction, and then tap Zeus2 again to get back to the chart. And if the Zeus ever fails, I still have an AP. (And a handheld GPS.) And wind angle, and depth, etc.

And the waypoints do get from Zeus2 to Ray AP, as does apparent wind angle.
Old 31-03-2016, 19:52   #15

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for your inputs. Raymarine has still not sent me the email granting me access to ask questions on their technical forum, but B&G responded directly and immediately to my concerns (even though I am a very small-time player for them).

I will go ahead and install the EV-100 wheel autopilot, as it is far less expensive than the B&G and is actually just replacing the ST4000+ that was originally in the boat. I will also tie it into the N2k backbone. I really just need to be able to tell the autopilot that I need a short break, please keep heading for the next waypoint.

WG did you ever get this working? I'm controlling an EV200 AP course computer with a Lowrance HDS via NMEA 2000 and a Simnet to N2K converter and it works. The EV100 might be different, but the commands from the CP do reach the Raymarine AP, and are interpreted correctly. The B&G Zeus Touch and Lowrance HDS use the same Simnet interface, but the B&G is newer and more feature-rich and I suspect more advanced.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine