Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 23:00   #16

Re: Raymarine EV-100 and B&G Zeus Touch

it will steer to way points from the plotter. but you can't "control it" from the plotter. you'll still need to use the raymarine AP controller to do things (auto, standby, steer, etc). unlike a simrad pilot where you could control it direct from plotter.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:11   #17

Boat: 34-ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
WG did you ever get this working? I'm controlling an EV200 AP course computer with a Lowrance HDS via NMEA 2000 and a Simnet to N2K converter and it works. The EV100 might be different, but the commands from the CP do reach the Raymarine AP, and are interpreted correctly. The B&G Zeus Touch and Lowrance HDS use the same Simnet interface, but the B&G is newer and more feature-rich and I suspect more advanced.
No, not yet. I have been working on other issues lately. I am still uncertain how to connect the two networks. I currently have both a B&G N2K network (for the Zeus and instruments), and a SeaTalkNG network which only has the essential EV-100 parts (EV-1, P70 display, and ACU100). I have some cables that have SeaTalkNG on one end and the MicroC connectors on the other end, but I am pretty sure I can't just jump across from one network to the other.
WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 17:01   #18

Boat: CS36T

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterGod View Post
No, not yet. I have been working on other issues lately. I am still uncertain how to connect the two networks. I currently have both a B&G N2K network (for the Zeus and instruments), and a SeaTalkNG network which only has the essential EV-100 parts (EV-1, P70 display, and ACU100). I have some cables that have SeaTalkNG on one end and the MicroC connectors on the other end, but I am pretty sure I can't just jump across from one network to the other.
Look into the ACTISENSE products, just google them.
Old 17-05-2016, 19:46   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069

Quote:
Why not? SeatalkNG is NMEA2K (even the same wire colours) but has an additional wire for classic Seatalk. Our boat is reversed. We have a STNG backbone with Raymarine and NMEA2K devices. We bought the convertor cables but you can just as easily make your own.
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 01:47   #20

Quote:
you need to jump the backbone. so you need a blue STNG backbone cable with a n2k on one end. which I'm pretty sure nobody makes. so you need to put a maretron field end on one end the STNG back bone cable. then remove one of the power sources. and remove one STNG terminator and one N2K terminator (and this is where your new cable goes). so you end up with one power source and 2 terminators total. with half the backbone STNG and half N2K. if you have items spread around the boat it would be a pain. and you'd be potentially changing from STNG to N2K between every tee.... or converting each drop.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 02:47   #21

I a m curious... What sort of "sailing" do you do which will enable you to steer directly to waypoints? I understand a power boat which "ignores" wind and sea for the most part can and likely would try to steer the most direct course to a wp. But a sailboat unless conditions permit will be probably making slight course changes because of wind and sea... and what about the next waypoint?

One might argue that if the ap keeps the boat on a rhumb line course the skipper only has to trim to maximize speed and a steady helm makes this possible/easier.

In my experience of local sailing in Southern NE... I find that course changes are frequent for all manner of reasons and so my approach is to set the AP the the course I want.. and they change the heading as necessary based on local conditions... such as approach or overtaking or crossing traffic... wind shifts... or current patterns.

Please explain WHY this feature is programmed into APs.... why sailors want and use it... as opposed to using an AP to hold a course the SKIPPER sets and alters. The skipper can evaluate the local environment much better than any GPS.

My advice on this subject... is it is not prudent to integrate an AP with a GPS.

Please explain why it is.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 03:00   #22

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Sandero, sorry, but I completely disagree.
I use an integrated AP and GPS a lot, and over many miles (10s of thousands). Sometimes I use steer to wind angle (so I dont have to keep trimming the sails), sometimes I use Nav mode (steer to a waypoint) - which allows for set and drift, and steers the shortest possible course to the waypoint, or, if the waypoint is to weather, the I often use Wind/Nav (Navico AP) to assist with tacking to weather.
Integrating an AP with a GPS in no way makes a vessel unsafe - it does not alleviate the skippers responsibility to keep a watch in any way, and IMO, especially short or single handed, frees him/her from the tyranny of the helm to actually sail the boat.
Oh, and these two networks can absolutely be joined - they are both N2K. Just make sure you only use 2 terminators, unless it is a large system that must be segmented.
Matt
Old 21-05-2016, 03:54   #23

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

A USA B&G rep advised that I should stay with my Raymarine Wheelpilot or just get a new Raymarine Wheelpilot when our 23 year old one dies, provided that it worked well on the boat, because B&G does not have wheelpilots available. He said it would work with the ZeusT, but I did not get into details with him, so I find this thread very informative. I've been told the new Ray wheelpilots have a much better compass and response with be much better.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 05:19   #24

Boat: 34-ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Sandero, sorry, but I completely disagree.
I use an integrated AP and GPS a lot, and over many miles (10s of thousands). Sometimes I use steer to wind angle (so I dont have to keep trimming the sails), sometimes I use Nav mode (steer to a waypoint) - which allows for set and drift, and steers the shortest possible course to the waypoint, or, if the waypoint is to weather, the I often use Wind/Nav (Navico AP) to assist with tacking to weather.
Integrating an AP with a GPS in no way makes a vessel unsafe - it does not alleviate the skippers responsibility to keep a watch in any way, and IMO, especially short or single handed, frees him/her from the tyranny of the helm to actually sail the boat.
Oh, and these two networks can absolutely be joined - they are both N2K. Just make sure you only use 2 terminators, unless it is a large system that must be segmented.
Matt
I hope to get the parts I need figured out sometime next week. I just have some problems deciding the proper network layout and parts I need. I suppose it will be a simple T-connector into my existing B&G backbone. From that, I guess I need to tie into one of the remaining Raymarine Backbone Cable ports on the Raymarine Connector Block. I will remove any terminators on the Raymarine network. If this concept works, I will need to find a cable that will connect from the T-connector on the B&G and into the Raymarine Backbone Cable port.
WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 05:48   #25

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Sandero, you can set the ap to steer to a waypoint, and then adjust the sails as needed to keep them properly trimmed. I think that is also known as sailing.

And sometimes you have to motor, and having the ap steer to waypoint is advantageous as it can correct for current it other conditions to get to waypoint.

And yes we sail. Just returned from Bahamas yesterday. We used very little fuel cruising the berry's thru exumas Georgetown and back, 90% of the time sailing. And probably 95% on autopilot, and trimming the sails for the direction we wanted to go, rather than vice versa.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 23:15   #26

I wonder if there's anyone with more (and more recent) experiences on B&G Zeus2 plotter connected to Raymarine EV-100 (wheel) autopilot.

We are planning ton install EV-100 but still wondering how they are going to work together?

Thanks,

Harri
phuup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33   #27

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuup View Post
I wonder if there's anyone with more (and more recent) experiences on B&G Zeus2 plotter connected to Raymarine EV-100 (wheel) autopilot.

We are planning ton install EV-100 but still wondering how they are going to work together?

Thanks,

Harri
I have a Zeus (one) connected to an EV200 and it does not play well. However, I generally use the AP to follow a degree heading or to track a wind angle, and I make adjustments as needed to avoid lobster traps floats and turn at waypoints. IMHO, if your attention is so "disconnected" from operating the boat that you need to have an AP follow a route then maybe you shouldn't be operating a vessel.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine