Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2023, 12:36   #1

Boat: Bowman 57 - 17.4mtrs
Raymarine Ethernet Cables - What to buy

Hi All

I have a (new to me; we are upgrading from RL70c's) E120 Classic & E80 that I'm trying to connect via the ethernet switch.

I have one ethernet cable that seems to work when I plug it in on each device to the switch; both lights light up. And I bought another ethernet cable and connected that.

However, the 'master' E120 with the first cable (Patch Cord Cat5 E87647 written on it) goes to the switch, and the second ethernet cable then goes to the E80. The second cable provides no lights, and the E80 can't 'see' anything.

Do any of you know what type of ethernet cable I need to purchase?

I'm assuming I need a Cat5e Patch Cable? I'm hoping this cable will work?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...04JH1VQI&psc=1
Sailormatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 13:45   #2

Boat: 2014 Leopard 39
Re: Raymarine Ethernet Cables - What to buy

Logically, it would appear that Cat5e cables and switches could be used to connect devices, but, Raymarine has tweaked their devices such that you need to use Raymarine branded cables and switches. There is a long history of users online complaining about this.

From Raymarine support site

- SeaTalkhs cables, NOT generic Cat5e or custom constructed Cat5e, must be used to interface SeaTalkhs devices

More info here on resolving connectivity issues between E series MFD’s

https://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=218

Good luck with your install.
Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 14:55   #3

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I wonder if they use simple cross over wiring?
Old 25-03-2023, 15:33   #4

Boat: Riva 48

The older E-Series need a Cat5 cable with a grounded metal shield/connector that touches something inside the MFD and confirms the connection. The switch side does not need to be metal as most switches are plastic anyway but it is still a good idea to connect the shields of different cables. You can cut and cross over the cables, you do not need a coupler. A good/cheap installation would be one Raymarine cable, cut it in half, connect one half with the metal connector to the E120, the other half to the E80, then use any Cat5 cable to splice and cross over, going to the switch. You can use any switch or a wifi router but a switch is simpler. Most newer switches are auto sensing, so you do not need to do the cross over.

The E90 Wide and later are auto sensing but you still need the Raymarine cable with the round connector to establish a secure connection. By the way, it is the same for radar and sonar cables. Ethernet cables are easy to splice but you have to use the Raymarine cables on the device side.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 00:29   #5

Boat: Bowman 57 - 17.4mtrs

Thanks all,

Super helpful!

I've just ordered a 12v switch to replace the Raymarine switch and this new unit has auto-sensing.

With regard to the grounded metal shield Cat5 cables, do you know what these are called to easily identify them when searching the internet? Or is it ultimately cheaper to buy the Raymarine cables?
Sailormatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 09:58   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks for this thread, I am about to do something similar (connect my RM radar and MFD to a wireless switch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormatt View Post
Thanks all,

Super helpful!

I've just ordered a 12v switch to replace the Raymarine switch and this new unit has auto-sensing.

With regard to the grounded metal shield Cat5 cables, do you know what these are called to easily identify them when searching the internet? Or is it ultimately cheaper to buy the Raymarine cables?
Not sure what it's called but it's rarely cheaper to buy RM stuff, hah

Tags
cables, marine, raymarine