Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 20:50   #1

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Raymarine eSeries 165 with AIS

I have been using a Raymarine eSeries 165 which has a 15.4 inch display which is interfaced to the AIS 650 Class B Transceiver.

The system works fine but what I have been unable to determine how to do is to display and modify details pertaining to my vessel in the AIS. For example, I can see details regarding other vessels circumstances such as their Destination, if they are under Sail, Under their Own Power or at anchor etc.

I am someone who reads product manuals thoroughly but I have not been able to find anything pertaining to this. I have also been unable to see what actual details I am transmitting and more importantly how to edit them for times when I am anchored or when leaving port for a new destination etc.

There does not appear to be an operation manual on the Raymarine website for the AIS 650 and several emails to them have gone unanswered.

Anyone have any clues on this?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:33   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Raymarine eSeries 165 with AIS

go to this page Digital Yacht - Light Years Ahead
download this program proAIS2 Software Windows
connect the PC to the AIS using a mini usb to usb connector (same as most camera cables)
the program allows you to set the data including vessel size, name etc.
also if you search for your MMSI on marinetraffic.com you should see your vessels name and location as other vessels see you.
If the AIS unit hasn't been programmed already you will be only in receive AIS mode, not transceive
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:40   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BTW, it appears it hasnt ever been set up so you have only been in AIS transmit mode to date.
Vessels Database (AIS Ship Data/Positions) | VesselFinder
Also, AIS class B doesnt allow you to edit details such as destination, at anchor etc. Thats only for Class A AIS

Let me know if you have any problems connecting, setting up and I can walk you through it.
Monte
Old 18-08-2014, 02:48   #4

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Thanks for your replies Monte, it sounds like my issue is as you mentioned in your 2nd reply that it is not possible to edit the details I mentioned with Class B as you can only do this with class A.

I know that other vessels are seeing me on their AIS and I can see them as well so my unit must be working as a transceiver. Thanks again, most helpful but a shame that I cannot apparently edit my details.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 06:46   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can edit your details as described above in my reply. Use pro AIS software and a mini USB plug. Details you can and should enter, are vessel name and dimensions.

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine