Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2023, 15:06   #1

Raymarine declares ES series chartplotters "end of life"

My Raymarine es98 MFD (bought in 2018) has developed a touchscreen problem - getting worse over the last year and now doesn't respond to touch at all (otherwise works via manual controls OK).

The same happened to a previous es97 I owned (one below and one at helm).

I planned to return the es98 to Raymarine (FLIR) for an out of warranty repair - but the customer portal for repairs now states that the ES series is "end of life" and cannot be repaired - they will examine the unit and advise an "upgrade path".

Apart from my irritation that the es series MFD's seem to have a common touchscreen fault which was never declared or corrected by Raymarine, it's staggering that they're dropping support for devices costing over £1,500 which they were still selling just over 3 years ago to gullible idiots like me!

Has anyone else been in this situation and had a good resolution?
Sgparkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 15:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Raymarine declares ES series chartplotters "end of life"

Guess its a choice of what they offer, or return it to the vendor and say not fit for purpose and should have lasted longer than 5 years. You may not get the full cost back, but a good percentage might be useful, threat of UK small claims court might be needed. Don't think either approach is going quick though.

Garmin also known for obsolescence practices
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 15:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgparkin View Post
My Raymarine es98 MFD (bought in 2018) has developed a touchscreen problem - getting worse over the last year and now doesn't respond to touch at all (otherwise works via manual controls OK).

The same happened to a previous es97 I owned (one below and one at helm).

I planned to return the es98 to Raymarine (FLIR) for an out of warranty repair - but the customer portal for repairs now states that the ES series is "end of life" and cannot be repaired - they will examine the unit and advise an "upgrade path".

Apart from my irritation that the es series MFD's seem to have a common touchscreen fault which was never declared or corrected by Raymarine, it's staggering that they're dropping support for devices costing over £1,500 which they were still selling just over 3 years ago to gullible idiots like me!

Has anyone else been in this situation and had a good resolution?
Is there a small claims court in the UK ?
Old 24-01-2023, 15:34   #4

Boat: Nordic 44

This is common at Raymarine. They want you to upgrade every few years.

Compare that to my Datamarine stuff. Made in 1985 and still going strong. Not many bells and whistles but tells me what I need to know. And even though they have not made sailing instruments for 20 years there are still two service centers that will fix them.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 15:47   #5

I could start a small claims court process - but I know that with depreciation I'd only get a small amount back and it's not worth the hassle to get a few hundred quid back from the vendor.

If I could take Raymarine to a small claims court however I'd probably do it just to make the point that failure/obsolescence after 5yrs is unacceptable. I used to have an E80 which ran for over 16 years - even though the screen got a bit dim at the end.

I am tired of being sold marine equipment that fails and can't be repaired - or can be repaired at exorbitant cost. After this I'd rather buy a nice ipad pro with a sunlight viewable screen - put it in a waterproof case and link up to the networked instrument/AIS data over wifi, running Navionics at a fraction of the cost of the plotter charts.
Sgparkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 23:06   #6

does it not work at all? or is it in the wrong place? I've seen lots of screens drift. there is a screen calibration in the menu to fix this.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 23:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgparkin View Post
I could start a small claims court process - but I know that with depreciation I'd only get a small amount back and it's not worth the hassle to get a few hundred quid back from the vendor.

If I could take Raymarine to a small claims court however I'd probably do it just to make the point that failure/obsolescence after 5yrs is unacceptable. I used to have an E80 which ran for over 16 years - even though the screen got a bit dim at the end.

I am tired of being sold marine equipment that fails and can't be repaired - or can be repaired at exorbitant cost. After this I'd rather buy a nice ipad pro with a sunlight viewable screen - put it in a waterproof case and link up to the networked instrument/AIS data over wifi, running Navionics at a fraction of the cost of the plotter charts.

most people buy a new phone every year. 5 years is a long time for electronics now a days.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 23:15   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
most people buy a new phone every year. 5 years is a long time for electronics now a days.
While this is true, it's pretty stupid too.
We should really aim for longer lasting gear & gadgets. The current way is not sustainable in the long run.

We are experiencing here the lovely "planned obsolescence" by a manufacturer. Something they do to force new product sales.
Best to change brands.
I'm writing this on a 5 year old phone. Still working fine. Does all I need.
The only two reasons I might need a new one in the future is the lack of security updates at a certain point in time and that Whatsapp needs to reside on the internal memory
Old 24-01-2023, 23:16   #9

Boat: Oyster 485 48'

I beleave that the UK and EU passed a law that all electronics were to be made to last 10 years minimum and Cary enough spare pares for repairs on electronics for the full 10 years. I think they called it right to repair.. worth looking into.
Takitimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 23:18   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I say if it is designed to last a limited time then price it accordingly.
When looking to replace a problematic older autopilot (raymarine) a marine electrician said of raymarine products "they are crap and they don't get better with age". Others results may vary.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 23:19   #11

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takitimu View Post
I beleave that the UK and EU passed a law that all electronics were to be made to last 10 years minimum and Cary enough spare pares for repairs on electronics for the full 10 years. I think they called it right to repair.. worth looking into.
Heard that too. Smart move. Hope it gets enforced.
Old 24-01-2023, 23:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I'm writing this on a 5 year old phone. Still working fine. Does all I need.
The only two reasons I might need a new one in the future is the lack of security updates at a certain point in time and that Whatsapp needs to reside on the internal memory
At a certain point, you'll upgrade because you want something that the new software offers.

New iphones right now offer a satellite SOS feature which is interesting, as well as some EKG-type health features.

I finally had to upgrade my computer because the latest tax software wouldn't run on my old one. Computer works fine, but no new software is compatible. Same with my laser printer - can't get drivers for it to connect with newer computers.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 23:35   #13

Point is the computer still works just can't be updated. Sextants mad 200 years ago still work too.Hardware should last more than 3 years and if the software is a few years out if date, ehh.. my 1995 chart plotters were pretty damn close to current for the ports I've been to.
Old 24-01-2023, 23:38   #14

Omg. I can't spell tonight..
Old 24-01-2023, 23:49   #15

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takitimu View Post
Omg. I can't spell tonight..
Hey, be thankful that it's only tonight.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter, marine, raymarine