Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2023, 05:43   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Raymarine data issues - several data not displayed

Installed is an Axiom 9 plotter, the i70 multi function display, the p70 autopilot display and a Ray60 VHF.

Several data are not displayed/recognized by the system.

- The VHF doesnt get the GPS position information, even the Plotter shows the position data correct. VHF alarms and wants the position data be inserted manually...

- The only wind readings i get on the I70 is AWS and AWA. No true wind information shown.

- The only further data the I70 displays is Depth. No further data displayed.

- The p70 only displays the Heading and autopilot heading setting, no other data displayed - however, it seems that the displayed heading is about 10-15 degrees OFF from the analog installed boat compass. The heading the boat compass shows seems to be correct, while the heading from the autopilot (same heading shown on the Axiom 9 plotter) seems to be wrong by 10-15 degrees.

Basically, all systems are working. Axiom 9 plotter with Lighthouse 4 updated. Raymarine Radar wifi connected, working. Autopilot did a great job for our 4 weeks passage though the indian ocean, besides the missing display data.

I went through the I70 system check, and all components are recognized. Even the new installed Em Trak AIS unit B924. However, no AIS targets are shown on the chart plotter. AIS is transmitting and receiving fine when checked with a handheld device not connected to the SeatalkNG system.

No idea if the issues having the same reason. And dont know where to start.

To me it seems more like a software issue, beside the compass off by 10-15%

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help!

John
Old 23-01-2023, 07:20   #2

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large
Re: Raymarine data issues - several data not displayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Installed is an Axiom 9 plotter, the i70 multi function display, the p70 autopilot display and a Ray60 VHF.

Several data are not displayed/recognized by the system.

- The VHF doesnt get the GPS position information, even the Plotter shows the position data correct. VHF alarms and wants the position data be inserted manually...

- The only wind readings i get on the I70 is AWS and AWA. No true wind information shown.

- The only further data the I70 displays is Depth. No further data displayed.

- The p70 only displays the Heading and autopilot heading setting, no other data displayed - however, it seems that the displayed heading is about 10-15 degrees OFF from the analog installed boat compass. The heading the boat compass shows seems to be correct, while the heading from the autopilot (same heading shown on the Axiom 9 plotter) seems to be wrong by 10-15 degrees.

Basically, all systems are working. Axiom 9 plotter with Lighthouse 4 updated. Raymarine Radar wifi connected, working. Autopilot did a great job for our 4 weeks passage though the indian ocean, besides the missing display data.

I went through the I70 system check, and all components are recognized. Even the new installed Em Trak AIS unit B924. However, no AIS targets are shown on the chart plotter. AIS is transmitting and receiving fine when checked with a handheld device not connected to the SeatalkNG system.

No idea if the issues having the same reason. And dont know where to start.

To me it seems more like a software issue, beside the compass off by 10-15%

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any help!

John
This all worked before?

You need STW to get true wind. Your anemometer measures apparent wind.

Check the Axiom cabling, wiggle it while the system is on; see if that improves the situation.
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 07:35   #3

Boat: Columbia 50

For the i70, if you want true wind display, you need to create a page with that info. You also calibrate the wind offset there.

Your autopilot should get its heading data from its own sensor - is the sensor properly aligned in the boat where it’s mounted? And is it set to show true or magnetic heading?

No idea on the radio - is it actually connected to the network? And can you tell it to use sea talk vs nmea 1803?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 07:55   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Does the I70 see the AIS data? It almost seems like part of your Seatalkng bus is not connected. Specifically the Chartplotter, radio, and autopilot. Can you control autopilot functions from your chartplotter? The I70 should be able to choose the chartplotter as a position data source. If it can't then it isn't connected to the chartplotter through the Seatalkng bus. There is the possibility that you have your network type set wrong in your radio and your radio is expecting position data on the NMEA 183 connection and not the NMEA 2000/Seatalkng bus. If so it would alarm and request manual data input. It would also do this if not connected to a bus without position data available. True wind speed can only be calculated with good navigation data and speed through the water. If sitting still true wind speed and angle will be the same as AWS and AWA. I would rerun the calibration on the compass and make sure you have nothing metal sitting close to it. Some of this sounds like it's a software configuration issue and other parts sound like it's a hardware configuration issue. Maybe it's both.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 16:22   #5

Yea, you may need additional data input devices. Look in the manual for the MFD and wind instrument display - they have all the info in there.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 19:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Does the I70 see the AIS data? It almost seems like part of your Seatalkng bus is not connected. Specifically the Chartplotter, radio, and autopilot. Can you control autopilot functions from your chartplotter? The I70 should be able to choose the chartplotter as a position data source. If it can't then it isn't connected to the chartplotter through the Seatalkng bus. There is the possibility that you have your network type set wrong in your radio and your radio is expecting position data on the NMEA 183 connection and not the NMEA 2000/Seatalkng bus. If so it would alarm and request manual data input. It would also do this if not connected to a bus without position data available. True wind speed can only be calculated with good navigation data and speed through the water. If sitting still true wind speed and angle will be the same as AWS and AWA. I would rerun the calibration on the compass and make sure you have nothing metal sitting close to it. Some of this sounds like it's a software configuration issue and other parts sound like it's a hardware configuration issue. Maybe it's both.
Thanks guys!

The I70 finds the B924 AIS in the system when doing system check. I have to check if he can find any AIS targets. Haven't checked that yet.

The chartplotter can not control the autopilot. But depth and sog is displayed in the chartplotter and the I70....

Confused....

Thanks for your help

John
Piscis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 23:02   #7

the compass needs to be calibrated by the installer / user. go turn it 15 degrees in it's mount. you can fine tune it + / - 10 degrees in the screen but for 15 you need to turn the compass.

I certainly would not trust any mag compass on the boat.

go find calm waters and compare heading to the COG at speed. also check radar overlay, however radar offset can also effect that as well as heading.

post a picture of the device list from the chart plotter with everything showing.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 01:09   #8

Will do some more checks at the weekend when i will be on the boat.

Quote:
Your autopilot should get its heading data from its own sensor - is the sensor properly aligned in the boat where it’s mounted? And is it set to show true or magnetic heading?
Good point. Will check that again...

BTW, upon startup of the i70, he shows message "no gps fix"

I have to go and get the electric panel out. AFAIK the GPS antennas for the system are behind the panel. Maybe something wrong here as well...

John
Old 24-01-2023, 05:32   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Will do some more checks at the weekend when i will be on the boat.

Good point. Will check that again...

BTW, upon startup of the i70, he shows message "no gps fix"

I have to go and get the electric panel out. AFAIK the GPS antennas for the system are behind the panel. Maybe something wrong here as well...

John

It is normal for it to take longer for the GPS to establish a fix than it takes for the I70 to boot up. This message is not an issue. The fact that you have a P70 autopilot controller tells me that you have a Raymarine autopilot that uses an EV-1 heading/motion sensor. This sensor contains a magnetic direction sensor that cannot be mounted too close to electrical wiring or it will give erroneous readings. It concerns me that you must remove the electrical panel to access it. There is no GPS in this sensor. It is more like the orientation and direction sensor in a smart phone. The GPS position data is coming from either the chart plotter, the AIS, or a separate GPS located somewhere on the Seatalkng network. All of these should be able to be chosen as the GPS data source on the I70 and P70. As for the disagreement between the magnetic compass and the GPS direction it could be because you have the GPS heading display and autopilot heading display set to true while the compass only displays magnetic heading. A variation of 10 to 15 degrees is normal in some parts of the world. The compass and magnetic direction sensor in the EV-1 are also affected by magnetic fields on your boat. By following the calibration procedure for the autopilot most of these can be corrected for automatically in the EV-1. If you have a a good magnetic compass and have it installed by someone who really knows what they are doing they can adjust out some deviation. Almost all installations require manual deviation adjustments. A properly installed and aligned compass will come with a deviation card or chart showing the deviation from true magnetic direction depending upon heading and corrections to be applied. Keep in mind that there is often a disagreement between heading and course over ground (COG) as the COG is affected by current, and leeway where as heading is not.

As for the alarm and position message on the radio, it may be simply your radio is looking for a GPS position before one of your GPS units has established a fix and put that data on the Seatalkng bus. This could be similar to the No GPS Fix message on the I70. The easy way to test this is to not turn the radio on until you have a GPS position showing on your chartplotter. If you get no alarm and request for manual input, the problem is solved.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 06:38   #10

Great advice, thanks, Bill!

I will have a look at the system and try your suggestions!

John
Old 07-02-2023, 05:38   #11

Thanks a lot for your help!

Problem is solved....

Before i took posession of the vessel in November last year, they installed a new Axiom 9 plotter. The NMEA 2000/power cables were routed in the deep dark back of the electric control panell, secured with zip ties.

I had to dive in a bit deeper behind the pannel to find out that the Axiom 9 ploter was only conected to power and network, but not to the seatalkng backbone. That cable was not connected at all.

I used a Raymarine A06082 connector to hook up the plotter to an existing cable that was left from a previous installed rmk10 unit and viola, all is working now as it should. Including the VHF getting now its GPS data.

Thanks again for all your help and support!

John
Old 07-02-2023, 05:50   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

One additional question for the axiom 9.

Mine shows the wrong time.

I have gone through it a couple of times and not figured out how to get the time correct because the time is coming from the GPS satellite. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to offset the time for my local Eastern Standard time zone.

Normally I wouldn’t really care, but when you are on a route, it shows you the time of arrival rather than how much time you have left on the trip. And the time of arrival is incorrect because of this incorrect base time.

Has anyone found a work around for this?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 14:00   #13

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
One additional question for the axiom 9.

Mine shows the wrong time.

I have gone through it a couple of times and not figured out how to get the time correct because the time is coming from the GPS satellite. There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to offset the time for my local Eastern Standard time zone.

Normally I wouldn’t really care, but when you are on a route, it shows you the time of arrival rather than how much time you have left on the trip. And the time of arrival is incorrect because of this incorrect base time.

Has anyone found a work around for this?

Found the setting!! We have an Axiom+, so hopefully same setting.

On the top right of your Home Screen you’ll see the time and system icons. Tap that and you’ll see the control for ‘Time offset from UTC’. We adjust that every time we move zones or for daylight savings time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1675807071.477034.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	271293

If you look at Settings->Network->Data sources->Time and date your GPS source(s) should be showing UTC.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 14:24   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Found the setting!! We have an Axiom+, so hopefully same setting.

On the top right of your Home Screen you’ll see the time and system icons. Tap that and you’ll see the control for ‘Time offset from UTC’. We adjust that every time we move zones or for daylight savings time.

Attachment 271293

If you look at Settings->Network->Data sources->Time and date your GPS source(s) should be showing UTC.

No way!

Right there on the front screen. Wow. I went through what I thought was every settings menu in the world inside of there trying to find that while I was underway on the trip up here to the Rigger I didn’t go with.

This will make it a lot easier.

Thank you so much for posting that.

I’m sure I’m not the only one out here who didn’t find that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine