Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2021, 16:17   #1

Raymarine C80 screen glitch

Hi all.

My Raymarine C80 screen has a glitch where I can't see anything on it. The screen lights up but has lines etc and is unreadable. I robbed my C70 from inside plugged it into the cockpit and it fired up just fine so I don't see any issues with the data source.

I know it might not be worth spending a ton to get it fixed but does anyone have a good repair source near the Pacific Northwest as I am Victoria, BC Canada. I'll probably need to upgrade in the future, just hoping I can get this one fixed to last me another year or so.

Appreciate any advice or leads.
Phil Mavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 22:14   #2

Re: Raymarine C80 screen glitch

I would try this guy. he used to work doing raymarine warranty

http://www.leftmostyachts.com/

failing that probably have to go to max marine in the usa

I would try it with only the power cable and the chart chip removed and see what happens
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 14:15   #3

Thank you for the lead! I'll contact them.

Out of shear luck, I managed to find a working used one and I snatched it up yesterday! However, I may still try to get mine original one repaired for a back up. It also has the latest firmware version. Perhaps your lead can upgrade the version for me too.

Thanks for your help.
Phil Mavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 14:29   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

A friend of mine has this happen to his Raymarine chartplotter. We were in the bay of Naples, far from our base in the south of France. His wife had found repair instructions on the web for this display trouble. I helped him in disassembling the complete chartplotter, cleaning all electrical contacts, especially the flat cable contacts between the different stacked electronics plates. We put everything back together and voilą, screen came back to life. That was about 6 years ago and to this day the chartplotter is still going strong.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 14:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have fixed a few C80 plotters for fellow cruisers. This was several years ago (most seem to have been replaced by now), but they had the same symptoms you are describing.

The fault in each case was a circuit board that pops out of a retaining clip and therefore does not mate correctly with the socket. The fix is simply accomplished by pushing the circuit board back in place. The only difficulty is you have to dismantle most of the chart plotter to gain access to the offending board.

I think this was the problem area. The plastic clip holding down the circuit board can been seen in foreground. Of course your problem may be completely different, but it is worth a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	247306  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine, screen