Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2009, 13:47   #1

Boat: Bavaria 40, schmeterling
Raymarine C80 Plotter and Furuno 821 Radar

Hi,

I am new to sailing and I purchased a Sailboat this summer that is equiped with Raymarine electronics, from GPS, to Pilot, wind, depth and speed instruments.

A Furuno 821 radar also came with the boat however, it is currently not installed.

I know that Raymarine has a seatalk interface and that Furuno uses NMEA. I have seen some boxes that provide conversion from one protocol to the other.

My question is; does anyone have any experience with these conversion boxes and are there any issues or problems with the conversion, such as missing info or bugs? If you have conversion boxes, which ones are they?

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you
mbiciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 20:18   #2

Boat: Privilege 39
The c80 supports NMEA0183... Whether or not that helps you depends a lot on what sentences you want to send and received between the two units. The c80 will do limited SeaTalk/NMEA0183 integration.

The way I went was to get a Brookhouse multiplexer with explicit support for the c-series chartplotters which let me integrate NMEA0183/SeaTalk all together between wind, speed, log, autopilot, gps, computer, and chartplotter - with future AIS integration just a matter of connecting 2 wires in.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, raymarine