Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 08:54   #16

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Re: Raymarine C70 Plotter screen issues

Try what the other posts suggest. It worked for me. And if you break something no big deal as you were going to trash it anyways.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 09:38   #17

Boat: Mainship 34 Pilot

Thanks. I made an error n this post. The unit is an E120
catnap892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 09:51   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Some electronic problems do not require any great knowledge. Just a keen eye. If you inspect things closely, often the problem area can be identified. Look for discolouration, bulging.

The simplest repairs are unplugged connectors (like the common problem with Raymarine plotters), next is poor/dry solder joints.

The next level up is failed components especially capacitors.

It does not take much skill to fix these these problems.

I often meet cruisers that have defective equipment that is not economic to repair. I think they remember the initial cost and cannot throw the equipment out. I offer to take a look on the understanding that it has to something that is broken that they are not considering getting professionally fixed. I enjoy the challenge and never charge. Cruisers help each other out and I have been given plenty of free help from others.

Even better have a go yourself. There is a lot of junk equipment thrown out you can practice on. A few months ago I got an ancient Geonav GPS working. Totally useless, as when repaired it took about an hour to get a position fix. With a single channel receiver it was never going to be of any practical value, but it was cool to see it come to life again. I remember the days when they were $500+, which in today's terms would probably buy a whole electronics package, including multiple chart plotters.

The message is if is beyond economic repair open it up an have a go.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 10:57   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Raymarine C70 Plotter screen issues

I know your not supposed to recommend something like an IPad for primary Nav, but in truth I'm awfully impressed with mine, it's not sunlight readable worn a darn, nor waterproof even a little bit, but for the money you have put into either the Garmin or Navionics app, it's a heck of a value.
However value wise Open CPN just can't be beat, however it's not as easy as the IPad, but if you have the time and computer skills, it's a lot more powerful, and free at that..
If I had the computer skills I think I'd be tempted to run Open CPN with a sunlight readable waterproof display at the helm station.

However the only time I feel I need a display at the helm is not open water, but the ICW and navigating inlets etc, and I go for the iPad over my B&G there cause it has Active Captain etc imbedded and those comments on shoaling, missing markers, telephone numbers of bridges and Marina's etc are helpful
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 13:20   #20

Boat: Mainship 34 Pilot

With respect the the Ipad, I agree, however, for resale value, it would be nice to have the matching chartplotter withthe repeating radar display.
catnap892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00   #21

I know it's been a while since this topic was discussed, but does anyone remember about where the screw that needs to be filed 2mm shorter is located? I have the same problem that I can press on the board on top of the screen and the chart plotter works for a season. When I take it apart, removing the top two board, I see the board in the pictures but I don't see a screw on or near the board. I would like to fix this permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
It's fairly easy to do. Take off the cover and unscrew all of the screws round the screen. Then take the unit apart. To there are ribbon connectors between the boards. Just flip up the connector and they come out. From memory you need to take the first 2 boards off. I think someone else has posted a picture of the connector. There is a screw that is a fraction too long in the board which over time pushes the connector out. 2mm off the end with a small hacksaw and job done. Took me about an hour and been fine since. Just need some small screw drivers and a hack saw. Hope that helps.
rmontrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine, screen