Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 16:32   #1

Boat: Pelin Columbia 44
Raymarine C140W. US Coastal maps pre loaded

I am just looking at the deals available on the C140W at the moment, getting real close to pushing the button.

The deals are on C140W's with US Coastal maps pre-loaded. My boating will be done outside US Coastal waters. I will be buying the Navonics Platinum+ maps for my region.

So the question is are there any downsides to that plan? I'd expect that there is no geo fencing on a chart plotter designed to travel the global and that all units feet versus metres etc etc are selectable.

Any help, comments gratefully received.

Cheers Dave
Retro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 18:07   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Why buy a virtually end of life product.

No plotters are " ring fenced" all can be extended to have charts to cover the globe. You have to pay for them mind you.

Dave
Old 03-08-2013, 18:38   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Check type of memory device it uses. Compact Flash is not easy to get these days. Some Raymarine units cannot use SD->CF adapters. Make sure the charts you want are available on a compatible memory device.

All plotters work in most common units of measure including nautical, metric and imperial.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 19:49   #4

Boat: Pelin Columbia 44
Re: Raymarine C140W. US Coastal maps pre loaded

Thanks for the responses. I am looking at an end of line product for economic reasons. In NZ right now our Raymarine importer/distributor has an EX display model C140W on special for USD3,545!!! That just gives you the flavour for why we sometimes look overseas to direct import marine electronics. I have confirmed that I can source CF gold cards for NZ - just need to check if platinum are also available.

My boat is a 1996 vintage vessel, It doesn't necessarily need the latest, I am looking for more screen real estate and a good solid reliable device. At the moment my Chartplotter/sonar/ radar are three separate devices. Plan is to keep the 1KW Koden Sounder (which I really like) and replace the Chartplotter/radar.

As always you thoughts and comments are most welcome.

Dave
Retro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 21:22   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I am looking at an end of line product for economic reasons. In NZ right now our Raymarine importer/distributor has an EX display model C140W on special for USD3,545!!! That just gives you the flavour for why we sometimes look overseas to direct import marine electronics. I have confirmed that I can source CF gold cards for NZ - just need to check if platinum are also available.

My boat is a 1996 vintage vessel, It doesn't necessarily need the latest, I am looking for more screen real estate and a good solid reliable device. At the moment my Chartplotter/sonar/ radar are three separate devices. Plan is to keep the 1KW Koden Sounder (which I really like) and replace the Chartplotter/radar.

As always you thoughts and comments are most welcome.

Dave
If you are price conscious I'd look at Garmin. The C wide was a quick fix products, I used it a lot. Its clearly surpassed by more modern stuff. You'd want a. Very steep discount to justify its purchase.

Dave

Tags
loa, marine, raymarine