Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2023, 08:35   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Raymarine / B&G / or...Help..!!

The only way to view radar connected to the RPi on an Android tablet currently is remote screen, eg. VNC. Basically the same you get with the apps mirroring the chartplotter screen in the proprietary systems. It would technically be possible to implement direct radar rendering on Android for the few radar types that actually are able to work over wi-fi at all, but has not been done.
For any other type of data from the boat sensors, OpenCPN on Android can connect to the source of information over the network or bluetooth just as any other system.
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 08:50   #17

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
The only way to view radar connected to the RPi on an Android tablet currently is remote screen, eg. VNC. Basically the same you get with the apps mirroring the chartplotter screen in the proprietary systems. It would technically be possible to implement direct radar rendering on Android for the few radar types that actually are able to work over wi-fi at all, but has not been done.
For any other type of data from the boat sensors, OpenCPN on Android can connect to the source of information over the network or bluetooth just as any other system.
I have that all with ISailor already on my iPadPro 12.9 as my backup system with AP support where simply Radar is missing. But will install soon a raspi as Victrons Venus OS/cerbo equivalent to supervise all Victron equipment and LFP batteries. Should be able to install an open cpn in parallel on it too.
I wait for the new orca Core till I pull the trigger on my new radar, if they really get the radar sorted, that 500Euro is well invested to get radar to every tablet and phone I have. Heard they use the open cpn radar plug-in as base for implementation so I assume it’s the same radars that are supported in the beginning.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 09:37   #18

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
You can get an axiom 7“ plotter for 500bucks, I can plug it in instead of old and it works. Just The displays for opencpn are 150+, a raspi is 130, then add cables and cabling and you are at 400 easily, now add all the time you need to just set this all up till it runs….
Then I need to run cable from navstation to helm station through half the boat as this is not simply plugging into nmea and it works…makes neither economical unless openCPN is your hobby.

Why nobody ports that openCPN to an android app. That runs on a raspy pi so from spec it can run on any android device like tablet or phone. Would make a lot things more easier and opencpn would skyrocket.
Windows on boats is dead as Operation System and even the chartplotter manufacturer move to android.
Actually regarding windows is a dead system on boats.

Not quite, my neighbor sailed around the world with only OpenCPN.

We have our PC with OpenCPN inside, I just need to look through the window to see it.
Got it on the phone too + Sailgrib. Phone in a waterproof case.
Could do the same with a tablet.

It's not connected to the instance running in the deck house PC, in my view that adds a level of redundancy.

Chart plotters take you hostage for one of the big chart suppliers and their ever changing subscription schemes.
Some have no issue with that, some do.
Old 17-03-2023, 07:05   #19

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
There is a reason why vintage ramarine ST60s still work today after 15 years while ...
Garmin has the best radars but the 2nd worst chartplotter, raymarine has good chartplotters but radar is behind Garmin...
Congratulations! Raymarine E120 black screen 3x, very expensive repair, all instruments - and I have a lot - developed a blind spot in the center, hence unreadable. E120 nmea2000 couldn't understand the Nmea2000 of the raymarine AIS500, needed a high speed version of nmea 0183 and so on. Where are you sailing? I am in tropical pacific and congrats again, you are a lucky winner
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 08:23   #20
MEC

Boat: Hinckley Sou'Wester 52 Dauntless

I would not mix different manufacturers N2k products because you are likely to find that a component is not really N2k compliant, so pgn's transmitted are not properly formatted and will not be translated properly by receiving instruments. My experience is that the offending manufacturer will not produce a hardware update to fix the bug because the bug is by design.

Furuno is a highly respected company; its products are well engineered and technical support is the best in the Industry in my experience.

If I was installing a new navigation and pilot system on my yacht, the system would be based on A&T Instruments (UK) hardware and software with Ethernet based main communication bus.

I hope this information is useful.
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 08:33   #21

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Bought a new B&G Triton 2 system last year. Took 3 masthead units before 1 worked. Depth transducer failed 2 months ago. Tech support calls, which I had to do many, hold times varied between 20 minutes (best) and 1 hour and 45 minutes. Wind display shows true wind speed, angle and direction not apparent wind angles. their tech support says this cannot be changed. Kind of useless info on a sailboat. Brooks and Gatehouse really means Broken Sh_thouse.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 15:08   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO43DS

I had a Raymarine C80 die last year and replaced it with an Axiom. Worst mistake ever. The charting for the Axiom, both from Navionics and from Raymarine, are a disaster. After suffering thru a year of Navionics I just yesterday bought up-to-date Lighthouse charts, and today discovered that it does not even show the Old Roosevelt Bascule Bridge here in Stuart, FL. This is a major bridge on the cross-Florida ICW, in a very tricky location, where there is a railroad bridge and a 65 ft bridge as well as the old Roosevelt bridge. The charts show the railroad and 65 ft bridge, but not the bascule bridge (14 ft). I am going to take the Raymarine charts back tomorrow and demand a refund. They are not fit for purpose. This sort of error is terrifying.
rxcsailnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 15:28   #23

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I have very good experiences with Aqua Maps. I highly recommend them. They include the Bahama Explorer charts. $14.95 per year.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 16:57   #24

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
Congratulations! Raymarine E120 black screen 3x, very expensive repair, all instruments - and I have a lot - developed a blind spot in the center, hence unreadable. E120 nmea2000 couldn't understand the Nmea2000 of the raymarine AIS500, needed a high speed version of nmea 0183 and so on. Where are you sailing? I am in tropical pacific and congrats again, you are a lucky winner
Well if you read what i wrote then you would realize that i exactly that the opposite what you are writing and done...repairing your stonage chartplotter with pixy LCD screen is bs unless you can DIY or have a buddy who can. A top notch Axiom 7 is 500bucks, nobrainer.
....keep the old vintage instruments ST60 at all costs as the new stuff is worse and update the chartplotter and radar as the old suck but new are much better eg Doppler.

I am sailing around the world, 10years min to also remote areas. I already have merged old Seatalk 1 to Seatalk NG with 2 raymarine seatalk 1 to NG and NMEA2000 converters (2 because 1 group is ST60 instruments+Sensors and 2nd is autopilot+AIS) with an e7 raymarine charrplotter and Victron Cerbo GX with NMEA2000 integration (then NMEA2000 with AiS via boat internet to IPad with Isailor/Navionics/TimeZero). That e7 will be sold and old e80+ radar replaced with Axiom 7+ Quantum 2 24 doppler radar and new Orca core which also updates the NMEA compass to a high precision satellite one incl heading sensor for doppler/Marpa and on the other side bringing new radar to the IPadPro12.9. Means the Axiom will be backup as orca core+ipad Pro+Quantum radar replaces the axiom completly and providing a 3rd fully integrated navigation and chart source beside Navionics, Transeat maps and now orca maps.all together 3500Euro for top notch upgrade to newest hardware where it makes sense and keep the old ST60 instruments incl. Lineardrive Typ2+ST60 autopilot, simple and reliable since 20 years on all my boats plus I have 2 complete spare ap. Means i can run my cat via ST60s completly standalone, via Axiom with Quantum2 old fashion chartplotter style or completly integrated with newest all bells and wissels via orca core+ipadpro12.9+Quantum 2 radar+full NMEA 2000 integration with automated logbook, marine traffic pro and full VRM remote control of all system...best of old and new world :-)
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2023, 17:08   #25

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff68 View Post
I need advice on a path to go. Let me set up up the situation and I apologize now for it's length. Please correct me if I have information wrong.

Bought a new to me boat. It has the following:

Raymarine C80 display.
Raymarine analog radar head mounted on a post off the stern.
Raymarine i60 Gauges (depth, speed, wind speed/angle ).
Raymarine auto pilot.
Everything is working at the moment.
- I wanted to move the radar to the mast to allow the install of an arch and eventually solar panels. First problem in that the cable that connects the two units is no longer made, and when we start moving stuff around sometimes it does not like the move.

- Second issue I wanted a second display unit for the nav. station and the radar unit will not support two units.

So, do I upgrade to a newer Raymarine system for radar and displays and install the appropriate adapters to use the i60 gauges or ???? I have priced out some units and just not sure.

I was gathering information about other makes and had a lady from a local store who sold me on a B&G system. Adapters to make the current i60 gauges work no need to replace transducer or paddle wheel or wind vane.
Today I walked in and the price has increased exponentially. Now I'm not sure again.
So. I am looking for a radar that can run 2 displays (cockpit / nav station )
It will be primarily radar and chart plotter. (Thinking later down the road to replace other parts to same brand as needed or when the time comes).
I was thinking that a tablet with GPS and Navionics App would be a back up as a secondary and added benefit for pictures or email or what have you.
I was looking for something that would talk to existing good devices and not break the bank account to purchase and install. I can't believe all the issues cause I want to move the radar and post. Talk about cascading problems....sheeeez
I have a similar setup as you have. About radar: I have two screens e80 and e120, and (analog) radar displays only on the master screen, but I never tried to get it on the slave screen as well. Both my chartplotters are in the cockpit, down below I have a mini PC with open CPN.

I feel for you, as I have the same pains, looking at partial or complete upgrade. This thread does not hold many promises for a trouble free process

Tags
marine, raymarine