Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 15:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII
RayMarine Axiom Reboot

Has anyone experienced an "endless reboot" issue with a Raymarine Axiom?

I installed a new Axiom 9" last December and have been eagerly waiting for warmer temps. I've fired it up numerous times, changing settings, upgrading to the latest software, adding waypoints, building routes, etc.

Finally, on the first nice day of the year, I took an overnight cruise to a destination about 3 hours away. The trip over was great and the Axiom performed flawlessly. On the day we were to return, though, the Axiom wouldn't boot up (I have it set up to start when powered up from the breaker panel). It would show the "Raymarine" logo, then a large font "AXIOM"....then a smaller font "AXIOM"...then it sit there. After a while, the AXIOM would go away, fly in from the bottom, etc - but it would never progess past this to fully boot up. We had to return home with no chart plotter, no navigation (and more importantly, no visible AIS for the shipping channels).

The Help documentation suggested checking all of the cables, which I did, but didn't see anything amiss. I ended up following the instructions to do a hard restart - losing all of my settings, routes, etc. (If I'd had a card to back them up to, I would've done that before hand).

It seems to be fully functional now - but now I have this nagging feeling that it will fail me at the worst possible time and I'll have to reset it again.

Thoughts/Other experiences?
sv JoyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 15:30   #2

Re: RayMarine Axiom Reboot

mine randomly reboots - sometimes never, sometimes a couple times in an hour.

raymarine has a forum, and you can get a log of the system right after a reboot and send it in.

I never did, but will try the new SW and if it still does it - try to get a log file....but the unit has to be removed to get the micro sd card.

edit: your nagging feeling is correct - heading thru woods hole in the fog - perfect time to loose the radar.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 14:01   #3

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Sounds like something that a software upgrade would fix. These machines are like computers nowadays, they get released quickly and then get continuous software upgrades. Sometimes these even add nice new features!
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 14:56   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-rocks View Post
mine randomly reboots - sometimes never, sometimes a couple times in an hour.

raymarine has a forum, and you can get a log of the system right after a reboot and send it in.

I never did, but will try the new SW and if it still does it - try to get a log file....but the unit has to be removed to get the micro sd card.

edit: your nagging feeling is correct - heading thru woods hole in the fog - perfect time to loose the radar.

Ours as well. Seems to happen most often when I’m zooming in and out a lot to check a route, while running the radar and tracking a few ais targets. Also seems to get worse In direct sunlight.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 15:04   #5

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Mine randomly reboots at least several times a day
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:09   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

I had problems starting mine after it had been switched of for four or five months. When I eventually got it started I did a software upgrade and it worked OK then after another month long switch off would not start again no matter what I did. Raymarine replaced it and the replacement has worked OK so far.

I also have an A7 and it has worked flawlessly for the four or so years I have had it.

I am extremely impressed by the Quantum Dopler Radar.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axiom, marine, raymarine