Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2022, 20:15   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
raymarine axiom compatibility

Hi guys, I have raymarine electronics, which work pretty well for the most part. I have an e127 multifunction down at my nav desk, set as master, and an e97 at my helm, linked as slave. My e97 has been acting up a little bit, and if I have to replace it, all that is available new is the axiom stuff. It's a bummer that to get multitouch, I'd have to spring for the axiom pro, but I suppose I could do with just the axiom touch screen only.

But my question is, since the axiom multifunction stuff uses a different OS/interface, does it work with the older e-series stuff? Will I be able to link it to my e127 down below? or would that need to be replaced as well? Am I better off trying to find a replacement/backup e series for my helm station?
Muaddib1116 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 20:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: raymarine axiom compatibility

You don't necessarily need to get the Axiom pro for multi-touch. You can get an Axiom+ and a RMK-10 if you have the space. When I did my electronics refit last year, the Axiom+ with the RMK-10 was cheaper than an Axiom pro.

You do lose the SD card reader though. But, you can also add one of those if needed.
shimari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 20:37   #3

Thanks, that's really good to know. If the axiom can still slave to an e127 chartplotter, then the SD card wouldn't be a huge problem, since I load the chart package down at the nav desk.
Old 27-01-2022, 08:33   #4

Boat: Moody 47

As far as I am aware you can not have MFDs on the same network running different versions of Light House, therefore the Axiom (LH3) and the E127(LH2) can not be interfaced.

DTD
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 08:41   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380

I"m running a new Axiom with an old a series/old Lighthouse on same network.

the NEMA2k data transfer is fine. but, don't expect high bandwith transfers (radar, wx, etc)
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 16:09   #6

Their will be no/very limited connectivity between the older e series but ultimatly it will still receive the same basic NMEA signals and act as your standard backup basic plotter.

If its more convience over carrying a second dedicated plotter, I'd be recommending you carry an iPad with Navigraph for redunancy and the Raymarine streamer app which clones the display.
https://www.raymarine.com/mobile-apps/raycontrol/

That way you get all your AIS, Radar, Autopilot, Navigation etc.
Otherwise you can pickup a basic AXIOM 7 without the built in Sonar which is cheaper.

I honestly use the 9+ and have no issues with the touch screen in the wet/cold.
Lighthouse 3 almost fully expects you to use it as a touch screen and never found myself wanting physical controls.
Josh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 18:48   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

I had the same situation in my FP Saba 50 - e125 at the inside Nav station configured as the Master and e95 at the outside helm configured as the Slave. The e95 failed so I replaced it with an Axiom 12.

Due to different OS, the e125 and Axiom each needs its own chart chip (if you want to keep a high resolution chart display on your e125/127).

I have an access panel at the helm so that I can get to the back of the flush mounted Axiom to insert microSD cards with software updates and charts, though I have to be very careful to not drop the microSD card as it will disappear deep inside the helm steering station.

I have the helm Axiom plotter now set as Master. It controls the autopilot. I no longer can set the autopilot from the Nav station e125.

I added a Raymarine Quantum 2 radar. It can only communicate with the Axiom, not the e125.

So basically the e125 just gives me a map & course display plus environment info (wind, temp, depth). I'll likely keep it until it fails.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 17:14   #8

This is super helpful, thank you guys! I think for now, my plan will be to find a good condition second hand e95/e97/es98 to replace my finicky e97, and keep my current unit as a backup. I suppose at some point, when my e127 starts acting up, I'll upgrade both units to Axiom.
Old 31-01-2022, 17:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'll upgrade both units to Axiom.
Please bump the thread when you do upgrade, I'm intrested to know how long you last.

It only took me a couple of weeks of getting use the touch screens and outright speed of the new units before I promoted the old chart-plotter to anchor.
Josh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2022, 19:20   #10

It depends on what I can find for how much. Based on prices at Defender, it would cost ~$3500-$4000 to upgrade both plotters. If I can find something on ebay for the right price that will allow me to push back that expense for a couple years, it could be worth it.
Old 04-02-2022, 09:04   #11

Boat: Beneteau 323

One thing you may want to consider is replacing the main unit (i assume helm) with Axiom and then using a tablet in the cabin with RayRemote and RayView. They allow you to control and view remote Axiom. Does it over WiFi, no need for wiring.

I also have added a dual SD card reader to my axiom, so the chart and data cards are easily accessible and I can remove, replace them without needing access to the back. It's the small raymarine square in center.

George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:54   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380

My rayremote has very limited value. It allows control, but i need to watch the axiom during the control.

The view app with wifi is far more useful to me.
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine