Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 08:11   #1

Raymarine AIS 650 connection issue

Hello, I am trying to connect an AIS 650 unit to the backbone of an Axiom 9. When I connect the STng cable into the backbone (I tried several different places in the line) it knocks out my i70s and p70s. They read just dashes and say no pilot. When I take the 650 off the backbone they come back online immediately.

On the MFD I do see "TARGETS". It gives Radar, Target settings, Collision avoidance, and Radar settings as options. There are no targets listed however. I have run the PROAIS 2 software and the diagnostics page gives green check marks for all and the status light is green. The "other vessels" page also lists a lot of my neighbors here in the harbor as well as further away so it seems the unit is working, just not communicating with the system correctly. The light on the actual unit is green. If I go onto Marinetraffic.com I do not see my boat listed either.

I have tried disconnecting every other gauge, different cables and nothing seems to change it. I have run an update on both MFD's and the AIS 650 unit.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on? I really want to make sure I have crossed everything off the list before sending it back to Raymarine for repairs.
ryanandtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 15:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Raymarine AIS 650 connection issue

I would try their help forum on the website. Takes a couple of days to get an answer but they are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 22:20   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Have you verified that the stng, aka nmea2000, network is properly terminated at each end and only powered in one place?
Old 01-02-2021, 10:09   #4

I have contacted Raymarine (their forum is locked and the new one is not yet online) but there answer was a little less than helpful and suggested that I send the unit in for repairs.

The installation looks pretty good and from what I can actually see, there is only 1 power source in the line and the end of the line does have a termination on it. The other end disappears under the floor and likely goes to the EV-1 which I have not been able to locate.
ryanandtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 19:55   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanandtracy View Post

The installation looks pretty good and from what I can actually see, there is only 1 power source in the line and the end of the line does have a termination on it. The other end disappears under the floor and likely goes to the EV-1 which I have not been able to locate.
A NMEA 2000 bus, aka STng, must have a one terminator at each end of the backbone run. When these are not properly in place adding, removing or moving a device can cause comm errors to start. You should track this down before sending off your unit for repair.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 20:02   #6

When you add a new component to the SeaTalkNG network, and it kills existing components, that generally means that component should be sent in for repairs.

The only other problems would be if you have a very large network, and the SeaTalkNG power is not in the middle of the network, or if the SeaTalkNG network is not properly terminated (a blue terminator plug goes in the unused backbone connector at each end of the network).

But 99.9% your AIS650 unit is bad.

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine