Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 06:02   #1

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Raymarine A50 Won't Send Data to SeaTalk

Hi, I have a raymarine A50 chart plotter hooked up to a t6002 pilot controller and an smartpilot X-5 course computer, via the nmea in and out ports, the whole system is linked via seatalk to st40 wind/speed/depth.
Problem is, the a50 chart plotter does not send speed and log info to the system, thats why I hooked the speed st40 into it.
Nor does it show it is connected to the autopilt.
Everyhting else works great, gotos, routes etc, its all fine.
Is this usual that the A50 does this? Any advice p[lease?
Keith.
Old 19-04-2010, 10:11   #2
tzt

The A50 doesn't take SeaTalk, only NG, there must be a converter box turning that seatalk into NMEA0183. When you say it's not sending the info to the system, I'm assumiing you mean from the A50 display to the ST6002 control head. You also mention that the display does not show it is connected to the pilot. There is an option in the A50 menu to turn on pilot communication under, external interfaces...I think.

Maybe this will cure your problem, though being able to goto - it sounds as if that option is already on - easy check is the pilot icon, if communication is enable it should not have an X through it.

It is possible, if you are looking for this data on a user page on the ST6002, that the A50 is not bridging the data and sending it back out onto the buss. I'm not able to answer that one. You might try doubling up - take the ST40 NMEA and break it out to the A50 and the SPX5 from one source (converter box).

Hope this helps.
tzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 10:29   #3

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Ahoy tzt, thanks for your reply. Yes, the autopilt option is enabled as is the bridge in the external interfaces menu, still a X through the autopilot! Although it is doing everything it should regards providing routes, waypoints and gotos to the system. I have tried th NG cable directly to the st6002, nothing works then.
The spx5 is converter box, thats why I havent got the T piece seatalk connectors, I was just puzzled why the autopilot had a X through it.
Another problem is that the st40 depth guage fails at around 5 metres, just slowly counts down to .5 metre, always when its getting shallow and the motor is idling! Works for days at 20 to 70 metres. Restart it and sometimes it works ok, no loose wires, could it be a power drop?
Cheers from Keith, now anchored at Kuah, Langkawi.
Old 25-10-2011, 00:03   #4

Re: Raymarine A50 Won't Send Data to SeaTalk

Hi there, I'm experiencing the exact same issue as surfmachine. My A50 is also connected to an X-5 via 4800 NMEA and pilot control is working. However there is an 'X' across the 'Pilot' icon which I cannot seem to remove.

Can anyone throw light on what may be amiss here?
dweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 17:00   #5

Re: Raymarine A50 Won't Send Data to SeaTalk

DWeston...You have to connect them with seatalk NG cables to get that part of it to work?
Keith.
Old 14-07-2012, 17:23   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I don't think you get autopilot integration over NMEA interfaces. I taught you had to use seatalkng ( NMEA 2000)

Dave

Tags
chartplotter, raymarine, seatalk