Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 00:55   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Rayamarine True Wind Alignment? How to adjust...

I have a raymarine e120W plotter with I70 gauges. When I tack the true wind direction changes up to 20 degrees. Obviously a problem with alignment. I tried the setup and motored into the wind to reset it.
I also did the circles to calibrate it and also tried adjusting the offset manually, but nothing seems to calibrate it correctly. What is the best way to calibrate it accurately? It also seems to effect my auto tacking, one tack is ok at 32 degrees, the other at 36. I tried just adjust it manually 3 degrees but it doesnt seem to help.
Any tips or advice much appreciated.
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Rayamarine True Wind Alignment? How to adjust...

The first thing is to calibrate the the apparent accurately. It should be centred when the wind is directly ahead and read the same on both tacks (assuming no boat/rigging asymmetry). Then the log needs to read spot on it also needs to read the the same on both tacks.

Circles only calibrates the fluxgate compass. This is not used when displaying true wind with reference to the bow (the simple Raymarine systems will not usually display a true wind compass heading, which is effected by the fluxgate compass calibration)

The most common problem with a lot of cruising boats is that the log is inaccurate. Even if reads OK when motoring it often reads different when healed and /or on on different tacks. Switching to true ground wind (the wind that would be felt if you were stationary) which uses the GPS deriverd SOG is much better because the speed is always accurately calibrated. Unfortunatly Raymarine instruments won't do this
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks noelex...hmm ok I will try adjust the log as well. Do you mean the true wind is calculated using the spinning log and not the GPS and there is no way to make it use the GPS? that may be the problem...
Old 08-08-2013, 03:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Yes that is correct.

Raymarine will only use the log signal to calculate true wind. The GPS speed is irrelevant.

Because it sums the vectors of apparent wind and STW from the log any error in the log will be reflected in a error of the true wind speed and true wind direction.

Apparent wind is unaffected by the log.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:26   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK thanks, but I guess this doesn't effect true wind angle, assuming I am doing the same speed on each tack and im on a cat so no heeling.... I will try adjust the alignment again. The other day I tried and motoring into the wind at differnt angles and motoring in circles I still noticed the true wind varying. Strange because even if it was alignment..it shouldnt vary, it should just be a few degrees off?

Tags
marine, men, wind