Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 09:07   #1

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Ray55E not getting GPS from Raymarine C90W

Suddenly, without any warning the "no GPS alarm" starts sounding on my Ray55E VHF which suggests it is not communicating with my C90W plotter properly. Very annoying and it looks like it is getting occasional positions from the system but not regularly enough to prevent the alarm sounding.

Even when I enter the position Manually to over ride the networked position it doesn't last and the alarm sounds again.

Questions:

1) is it OK to remove the SeaTalk cable from the back of the VHF thereby removing all GPS data from the radio and using a manual position for each day?

2) is there a way to stop the VHF asking the C90W for the position so I don't have to fiddle around and remove the cable?

3) is the a fix to get the system to talk properly again

finally:

4) is it time for a new VHF? If so I'm not going to stick with Raymarine so looking for a budget station with built in GPS and possibly AIS (although not essential). Ideas on a postcard........

Thanks

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 12:26   #2

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: Ray55E not getting GPS from Raymarine C90W

If you disconnect the GPS you will lose the Emergency DSC function of the radio. It’s possible to do this by simply leaving it off. Every time you turn on the radio it will alarm and you will need to press the cancel button then it will work fine as a radio.

HOWEVER - using VHF radios for dsc messages and distress calls is the way forward so personally it’s not the way forward !!
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 22:54   #3

Mike,

Valid point but you only lose the exact location data from the DSC emergency system and that is managed by manually inputing a position everyday.

By turning the radio off fully I would not be maintaining a continual radio watch on ch16 so would be in breach of the regulations unless I use my handheld radio which does not have DSC or the range of the ship station.

As the ship station is getting intermittent positions from the plotter the alarm sounds frequently so it is not just a case of pressing the cancel button and ignoring it. Try ignoring it every 5 minutes, especially when you have entered a manual position already.

As I've never needed to use the DSC features of my ship station I have to say apart from the "hope to god I never need it" big red button I don't really see the point for my type of sailing when I can get a clear 4G mobile signal 35 miles off the coast.

Cheers

Keiron
Old 25-09-2018, 23:43   #4

Maybe my wording was a little unclear
I meant leaving the data cable supplying the gps info “off” the radio.(ie disconnect it)
Turn the radio off and then immediately on again. It will alarm on the radio as it has no data - press the “clear” button and the radio will work fine until you turn it off again.
Old 26-09-2018, 05:22   #5

Mike,

Got ya. I was planning on doing this (if I can access the SeaTalk cable behind the radio) and simply treating it as a basic VHF as long as I manually enter a position every few day.

Ideally I'd like to figure out why all of a sudden the VHF stopped getting continual updates from the Plotter.

Cheers and cold beers

Keiron
Old 26-09-2018, 08:28   #6

I am having the exact same issue with mine. I look forward to potential root cause discussions.
diverdown516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 08:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Just curious, but is your MFD still showing the vessel's position, just not the radio. I have a C120 and have been losing the GPS data. Of course the Raymarine VHF simultaneously loses ship's position. Last year, when this problem started, we changed the button battery in the external GPS antenna, that solved the problem, but a year later (this August) the problem is back.

I don't know if the antenna is on the blink or the C120 or a ghost in the machine.

I have heard that Raymarine no longer services any of their products that are 10 years old...if I have to replace my system after 10 years, it ain't gonna be a Raymarine.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 11:12   #8

DiverDown - glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem so fingers crossed we get some good ideas to resolve it.

George - yes my C90W plotter is working fine and giving constant GPS position, which is being relaid constantly to the repeater ST70 unit at my navigation table (which is where the VHF is located also). From time to time my C90W does lose the fix but that normally comes back pretty quickly and is no worse than the GPS on my phone.

Have to say if I ever upgrade my system it might be to an Android Tablet and wifi enabled sensors rather than a fancy new touchscreen MFD as I hardly use any of the features of my unit apart from the fundamental basics of position and charts. My phone gets a better satellite fix as is picks up the GLONASS system as well as the GPS and soon to be Galileo system too but the C90W only works on GPS.
Old 26-09-2018, 12:49   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

George, I would start by putting another new battery in as a cheap and possible solution.

I think we are on our 3rd battery.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 21:51   #10

I doubt gps is coming form the plotter. it's likely coming from a ray 120 or 125 gps antenna on the seatalk bus (which will feed the plotter and vhf sepertatlly). turn off the plotter and I bet the VHF still gets it.

in that case it's not a plotter issue. it's either a seatalk bus issue or GPS antenna issue.

the ray 120's and 125's are old and all dying.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 22:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I doubt gps is coming form the plotter. it's likely coming from a ray 120 or 125 gps antenna on the seatalk bus (which will feed the plotter and vhf sepertatlly). turn off the plotter and I bet the VHF still gets it.

in that case it's not a plotter issue. it's either a seatalk bus issue or GPS antenna issue.

the ray 120's and 125's are old and all dying.
Nope no external antenna here so can't be that. GPS definitely comes from the plotter
Old 26-09-2018, 23:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Nope no external antenna here so can't be that. GPS definitely comes from the plotter
maybe the wides have them. I haven't touched one for a while. the classics defiantly did not.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 01:05   #13

Maybe try going to the settings on the internal GPS on the Mdf and reset it. (Turn it off and on again and Re initialize it)
Old 27-09-2018, 01:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
Maybe try going to the settings on the internal GPS on the Mdf and reset it. (Turn it off and on again and Re initialize it)
I'll look into that in the owners manual and give it a try. That said the chartplotter is switched off fully (at the "mains") every day so shouldn't that re-initialise things?
Old 28-09-2018, 06:38   #15

Boat: Hunter, Passage 420, 42'

I had the same issue with my Ray55 and E120W plotter. Raymarine tech advised me to connect the Ray55 Seatalk in signal to the Raystar 125 GPS receiver Seatalk out signal. I did this at my autopilot course computer and solved the issue completely.

Hope this helps.
onewadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, marine, raymarine