Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 08:05   #1

Raster Scan Radar

I am looking at a boat that has Raster Scan Radar (Raymarine Rxx11).
What are your thoughts on this system, and what can be added to this (chart plotter etc.)? Is this an outdated system for todays use?

Les
Les Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:59   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Raster Scan Radar

Is this a CRT display? I think that is a 20yr old radar, and is so obsolete now that it would probably be throwing money away trying to fit things around it.

If it even works at all - magnetrons have fixed lifespans.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:40   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

I don't know what a raster scan radar is. I assume you have a CRT. The old Raytheon units are pretty much obsolete. No modern chart plotter can view the radar image from old CRT units.

Post a picture and maybe we can give more detailed advice.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If it works use it, but don't think it'll send radar data to a chartplotter or display charts. The very most it'll do is display a waypoint on the screen as a circle with some basic text.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:06   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Crawford View Post
What are your thoughts on this system, and what can be added to this (chart plotter etc.)? Is this an outdated system for todays use?

Les
Les,

THe R11xx can be connected to other Raytheon/RayNav (and perhaps other) devices via SeaTalk. If you do not have the user manual, it can be found on-line via Google. Despite nay-sayers, the older Raytheon units are very robust and quite effective.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 16:52   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

The Raytheon R40/R41xx, R20/R21xx, and R10/R11xx, series radars were actually made by JRC for Raytheon/Raymarine....
This was a stop-gap between their old PPI marine radars (such as the venerable Model 3100, which I used for years....damn that thing drew about 20 amps @ 12vdc!) and the newer "Pathfinder" radars (such the R-70/RL-70, R-80/RL-80)...
And, it shouldn't be a surprise that these (like their predecessors) were quite excellent radar units....

But, these are 1980's technology radars, and although nothing wrong with that....if this boat's R11xx is still working, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it working too much longer....
So, I would not think this adds any actual value to this boat...

In nutshell, if it works then consider it a lucky break....but do not allow this ~ 30 year old radar to get you to buy the boat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Crawford View Post
What are your thoughts on this system, and what can be added to this (chart plotter etc.)? Is this an outdated system for todays use?Les
So, yes it is an out-dated system, but that doesn't mean that it cannot actually work....just don't buy the boat based on this radar...
But, even if it does work, it will not work as a MFD (Multi Function Display) nor chartplotter....just a radar...
And, depending on where you are planning on sailing, you may never need radar at all...

And, while svHyLyte is mostly correct here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Les,
THe R11xx can be connected to other Raytheon/RayNav (and perhaps other) devices via SeaTalk. If you do not have the user manual, it can be found on-line via Google. Despite nay-sayers, the older Raytheon units are very robust and quite effective.
FWIW...
The fact is the "SeaTalk" interface of the R11xx was an "option", and not sure if your unit has that option or not....you'd have to look at it and see....

And, FYI, for everyone....
"Raster Scan" Radar is how CRT's display images (such as analog TV's).....this is what we had after PPI radar (the old delayed-phosphor green screen, that you needed a hood to view unless it was totally dark).... [PPI = Planned Position Indicator]
"Raster Scan" Radar for pleasure boats was seen by most as a miracle!!! (even though it had been used for decades in other services and other users....it was pricey...so we had the old PPI radars for decades....)

After just a few years, monochrome LCD's became affordable and larger....and then color LCD's became affordable and larger....and these brought the end of "raster scan" radar for pleasure boats (although it IS still used by others and in other services)....

And, with advances in on-board electronics and networking, along with hi-res sunlight viewable LCD's, most have never heard of "raster scan" these days...

I hope this helps...

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar