Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2020, 14:33   #181

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Raspberry Pi as Onboard Computer

I'm sure it would since some guys are using the 1 GB RAM Raspberry Pi 3B.

Windows has spoiled me so I now will be using this Lenovo Thinkpad I got from an authorized Microsoft Refurb Dealer for under $300 w/Windows 10 Pro delivered which will also allow me hookup to my Victron.

Plus, everything else is easier than using Linux unless that is your thing.

Plus I can bring up to the cockpit etc.....

I just loaded it up with OpenCPN for my area next will be GPS Puck and VHF/AIS/GPS from the onboard radio.

I'll still have the RPi 4 onboard though when cruising.....w/hdtv monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00715.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	219637  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 17:32   #182

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I was wondering if the 2GB version of the pi 4 would be sufficient for all kind of boaty stuff? Openplotter/Opencpn, NMEA0183/2k inputs, weatherfax/hamfax?

Yes, 2G is enough for those apps. If you want to run open office or develop software then 4GB.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 03:26   #183

Boat: Bristol 27

As has been said, the Pi 4 with 2 or 4 GB will work great, but then you have to buy and mount a monitor. My Pi 4 (4GB) has a 32 GB SD Card

This refurb'd Lenovo Thinkpad I just bought ($292 delivered) has 8 GB Ram, 64 bit OS, Windows 10 Pro, 2.6 GHZ CPU, and 250 GB HDD.

There are options for more Ram etc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-LAPT...53.m2749.l2649

And I still plan to have the Raspberry onboard for backup and learning. It's CPU speed is 1.5 GHZ and it runs on the Linux Open Source Operaring System Software which can make you work a bit to get used to which is fun when you are in the mood to do that

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...pecifications/

Next project is to get my GPS Puck, and VHF/GPS/AIS (SH GX2200) to work on the Windows 10 system....like it now does on the Raspberry with Linux
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:32   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Yes, 2G is enough for those apps. If you want to run open office or develop software then 4GB.
Perfect, thank you. Nope, probably the most complex task it'll get is OpenCPN with lots of AIS targets and weatherfax in the future.

I have a decent Dell laptop for ordinary work.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:23   #185

For what its worth, ive found these informative u'tube vid's, there are numerous

https://youtu.be/U3ucE3Rx7Tw

https://youtu.be/PdfLTA2CRL8

good thread
Psy at SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 13:35   #186

I can recommend this OS image which I released recently. Marine BBN OS for raspberry pi. I’d recommend pi4 though for GUI. armhf with enabled 64-bit kernel seems works the best and has better app support.

https://github.com/bareboat-necessities/lysmarine_gen

Getting started:

https://bareboat-necessities.github....reboat-os.html

For hardware ideas I wrote
this documentation:

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/my-bareboat/

Thanks,
—MG
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 11:17   #187

Boat: Bavaria 36 Holiday '99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Do many of you use these?

I'm thinking of getting one and the associated extra hardware and hooking up my GPS/AIS and autopilot to it and then out to a monitor.
Hello Thomm225! I am working now on a project like yours.

My boat have SEATALK1 network and, inside, one plotter Raymarine as well, which is suppose to convert all ST1 data into NMEA0183.
A friend of mine gave me one AIS350, from Raymarine, once he upgrade is own boat to the AIS650 transmitter.

I bought, to suit the project:
1x Raspberry PI4 (with PS, keyboard and mouse).
2x RS422/485 to USB 2way converters with DB9 connector (did not managed until now to make it work!....)
2x RS422/485 to USB 1way converters with 2pin connectors (1 is operating, the other no....)
1x optocoupler and some resistors and leds to try to get the ST1 data, via GPIO.
2x GPS with USB connector to get GPS position in case I do not managed to get that info from ST1.
1x SENSE HAT to get all the info I can from it: compass, pitch, temp, inclination, humidity.
1x set of longer GPIO connectors to be able to use the GPIO pin and the HAT at the same time.
1x BOX to DIN rail to install the PI.

The ideia is to get all the data via WIFI and access the OCPN on the tablet.

I have already gain lots of white hair, and I am still in the beginning!!!.....eheheh!

Best regards,
João Teixeira
JTeixeiraPOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 17:08   #188

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Has anyone integrated a Raspberry Pi upgrade into an old B&G H1000 system? I want to use all of my nmea 0183 instruments (including ACP autopilot sytem) through the universal interface in combination with an AIS hat, a multiplexer hat.
I want to utilise my GPS antenna, VHF antenna and provide GPS to my VHF as well as the nav system.

I'm looking as RS485-USB adaptors to get data into the multiplexer from the B&G system and GPS
Island_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:48   #189

Has anyone used the raspberry pi to monitor tanks in their boat? Where did you source the senders, cables, and the software to run it with the pi? Thank you
johnmwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:59   #190

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmwalsh View Post
Has anyone used the raspberry pi to monitor tanks in their boat? Where did you source the senders, cables, and the software to run it with the pi? Thank you
I'd that's all you want to do, something like an Arduino would probably be more suitable. Either way, any can accept analogue input which means they can be hooked up to many different styles of sensors. Searching for Arduino compatible sensors will probably yield the most results.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:43   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I'd that's all you want to do, something like an Arduino would probably be more suitable. Either way, any can accept analogue input which means they can be hooked up to many different styles of sensors. Searching for Arduino compatible sensors will probably yield the most results.

Hello and thank you for your reply! I will be using the pi for openplotter as well, with AIS and gps. The Moitessier hat is no longer available, is there any other way to get the information for AIS and gps? Thank you
johnmwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 06:46   #192

Quote:
Hello and thank you for your reply! I will be using the pi for openplotter as well, with AIS and gps. The Moitessier hat is no longer available, is there any other way to get the information for AIS and gps? Thank you

You can use dAISy AIS, or NMEA multiplexer with built in AIS, there is also MAIANA AIS.

For GPS there are many USB GPS.

You can also check supported hardware section here:

https://bareboat-necessities.github....reboat-os.html

It’s for raspberry Pi too.
Old 05-02-2022, 14:36   #193

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:

Based on personal experience I highly recommend https://github.com/peterantypas/maiana for AIS.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2022, 08:09   #194

Bareboat Necessities OS vs Openplotter comparison matrix

https://bareboat-necessities.github....enplotter.html

Fair winds!
Old 01-12-2022, 04:58   #195

Boat: 1976 NORTHSTAR 26 HULL #90

Hey all! I've scoured the interwebs looking for information on how to display the output of a Sirius XM marine weather receiver as an overlay on OpenCPN. As far as I can tell, these receivers will only talk to industry standard MFDs.

Is that the sad truth?

I hope not. I bought a raspberry pi to build an onboard computer, gather all of my sensor data and eventually control my tiller pilot. The pi arrived yesterday, and is still in its original packaging... My intent is to use as many of my old sensors as possible and replace them as necessary.

I'm hoping one of you marvelous gurus out there has already figured out this Sirius XM display! The pi setup seems to be pretty straightforward, but I'm failing to find any kind of technical information on the output of the Sirius XM receiver or how to display it, even if I could figure out what sort of signal it was...

If this is possible, I think it would be pretty cool and potentially a big help to a great many people. I would love to make a detailed YouTube video on how this all goes together if I can, with your help, figure this all out!
Matti Mukkala is offline   Reply With Quote