Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2020, 06:56   #91

Re: Raspberry Pi as Onboard Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So I got the SD card formatted and the Raspbian OS loaded....

The map comes up etc but I am still starting openCPN from the terminal mode. Now to get some charts which I'll work on tonight hopefully.

It was quite simple in Windows to load and start OpenCPN, but this is different and sort of interesting as it reminds me of the days when all we had was the command prompt/command line
I'm curious where you got your OpenPlotter/Raspian file from, or if something has changed. When I downloaded...I think the OpenPlotter Noobs version of things...onto the SD card and put the card into the Pi and started it up, I don't recall ever being recall having to use a terminal interface to do anything. Since day #1 the OpenPlotter Pi has reliably "acted" like Windows/Mac...point, click, drag, drop-down box, maybe type in names of files I'm saving.

I have yet to connect to peripherals (GPS, radar, NMEA stuff), but I haven't so far needed to interact with a command prompt (which can be a show stopper for many people, the presence of which maybe intimidates people to not go this route for a plotter).
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 07:05   #92

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I was recommend this image by on the Open Plotter forums. https://mega.nz/#!LNpB1K5Q!a4QaE5WDt...vG7xpnsLHYt0Xk

It worked a treat as I have having all kinds of problems with signalk not starting a boot and other issues when running openplotter on deafult Raspbian Buster.
I'am using OpenPlotter for a long time without any problems. Now running with SignalK with NMEA2000 input to OpenCPN.

Take the beta 2.0 from OpenPlotter and upgrade the Raspian files.

Sudo apt update and then sudo apt upgrade.

Now running the 64 bits version on the Pi 4. Just as fast is my other Linux systems.
(But this version is not yet official available)

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 07:59   #93

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
I'm curious where you got your OpenPlotter/Raspian file from, or if something has changed. When I downloaded...I think the OpenPlotter Noobs version of things...onto the SD card and put the card into the Pi and started it up, I don't recall ever being recall having to use a terminal interface to do anything. Since day #1 the OpenPlotter Pi has reliably "acted" like Windows/Mac...point, click, drag, drop-down box, maybe type in names of files I'm saving.

I have yet to connect to peripherals (GPS, radar, NMEA stuff), but I haven't so far needed to interact with a command prompt (which can be a show stopper for many people, the presence of which maybe intimidates people to not go this route for a plotter).
I formatted the SD Card with my labtop then put it back into the Raspberry and when I restarted it asked did i want to load Raspbian? So I did that then went to the OpenCPN website download page and sort of followed the directions to get opencpn loaded

Maybe I did it the hard way. I used these commands from the OpenCPN website. (downloads)

Adding OpenCPN Ubuntu PPA to Raspbian Software Sources

Once you have Raspbian running on Raspberry Pi, go to Menu → Accessories → Terminal, and type:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

A text editor will open. Move the cursor to the end and add this line if you are on Raspbian Stretch:

deb Index of /opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu xenial main

Or, if your Raspbian is the latest Buster:

deb Index of /opencpn/opencpn/ubuntu bionic main

Save the file pressing Ctrl X, say Yes and press enter. Now type:
sudo apt install dirmngr

(A certificate management service, needed for the next command) Then type

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C865EB40

and press enter. Now be sure you have Internet connection and type:

sudo apt-get update

The Software sources will be updated and finally you will have to type:

sudo apt-get install opencpn

and you are done!

Then I added some plugins. Til I got the OpenCPN Map to come up

Btw I haven't done this kinda thing in years so I'm sort of just blundering my way thru and enjoying it .........kinda

If I don't like this, I might reformat the sd card again and do it again with openplotter.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 08:26   #94

Boat: Halmatic 30

You made it too complicated. Simple take the image file from here:

OpenPlotter 2 roadmap

it is still a pre release version. But it works very well included with OpenCPN and the SignalK server. Although not everything is complete. Take the settings page to see what is allready available.

If you have serial input. take the serial settings and give connection an alias.

The connection is then put to the SignalK server.

Take the 2020-01 openplotter etc. img.zip.

Unzip the image and put it on a fast micro SD card.

Then do the update en upgrade.

That is all to get OpenPlotter on the Linux Buster version.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 08:36   #95

Quote:
I formatted the SD Card with my labtop then put it back into the Raspberry and when I restarted it asked did i want to load Raspbian? So I did that then went to the OpenCPN website download page and sort of followed the directions to get opencpn loaded

Maybe I did it the hard way. I used these commands from the OpenCPN website. (downloads)...........
.....If I don't like this, I might reformat the sd card again and do it again with openplotter.
So...just for others who made read this, I think my approach was easier using Noobs as the Noobs file puts everything you need on the SD card such that, once you place the SD card into the Pi and turn the Pi on...it's like turning on a new Mac for the first time. In a couple minutes you're staring at an environment that looks like a Mac, and you all the OpenCpn stuff is already there.

But! I'm not saying that this approach is better, but certainly seems more simple. I'm curious to learn from experienced users if the OpenPlotter Noobs approach is limiting in any way. Maybe, like Mikedefieslife recounts above, one may find problems down the road when adding peripherals (signalk in his case)?

Edit: Bram responded while I was typing with more cogent advice.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 08:46   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
You made it too complicated. Simple take the image file from here:

OpenPlotter 2 roadmap

it is still a pre release version. But it works very well included with OpenCPN and the SignalK server. Although not everything is complete. Take the settings page to see what is allready available.

If you have serial input. take the serial settings and give connection an alias.

The connection is then put to the SignalK server.

Take the 2020-01 openplotter etc. img.zip.

Unzip the image and put it on a fast micro SD card.

Then do the update en upgrade.

That is all to get OpenPlotter on the Linux Buster version.

Regards,

Bram
Thanks.

I was downloading the openplotter. img.zip. on my laptop while I proceeded with removing the formatted SD card, loaded the Raspbian OS, and using the Opencpn guide downloaded the other info in terminal mode which I had trouble with until this am when I finally got it to load OpenCPN

I'll definitely give openplotter a try at some point if I cannot get this working like I want it to
Old 22-01-2020, 10:20   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post

That's somethig else I'll be experimenting with. I have several different RS422 to USB adapters on order so I can hook up to my SH GX2200 for GPS and AIS

I've also ordered a GPS dongle and plan to try using that with the Raspberry also
Old 22-01-2020, 10:44   #98

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
Thanks.

I was downloading the openplotter. img.zip. on my laptop while I proceeded with removing the formatted SD card, loaded the Raspbian OS, and using the Opencpn guide downloaded the other info in terminal mode which I had trouble with until this am when I finally got it to load OpenCPN

I'll definitely give openplotter a try at some point if I cannot get this working like I want it to
If you do, Bram has the right idea, you are over complicating this. The big zip file you are downloading contains an image (.img) file. Use Win32DiskImager to write that image to your SD card. The card can/should be unformatted beforehand, it doesn't matter. Use that SD card in your Pi - it will boot up into Noobs or Raspbian with Open Plotter and OpenCPN, etc. already there - everything ready to go.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 11:11   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
If you do, Bram has the right idea, you are over complicating this. The big zip file you are downloading contains an image (.img) file. Use Win32DiskImager to write that image to your SD card. The card can/should be unformatted beforehand, it doesn't matter. Use that SD card in your Pi - it will boot up into Noobs or Raspbian with Open Plotter and OpenCPN, etc. already there - everything ready to go.
Okay, Thanks.

I'll probably try making it work using both methods.

I need to get back into this type stuff a bit anyway.

We use Linux on most of our newer systems here, and the software techs are constantly in Terminal Mode doing updates, adding patches, etc so this is good exposure.
Old 23-01-2020, 05:50   #100

Thanks for all the inputs above.

I finally went over to the openplotter site and looked around a bit.

It's very informative!

It even gives you a block diagram of how your systems will work together and a pin out explaination for the General Purpose Input/Output pins (GPIO) and much more.
Old 23-01-2020, 07:23   #101
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Thanks for all the inputs above.

I finally went over to the openplotter site and looked around a bit.

It's very informative!

It even gives you a block diagram of how your systems will work together and a pin out explaination for the General Purpose Input/Output pins (GPIO) and much more.
After a few years with a Pi onboard, IMHO there's only one game in town - Openplotter Everything you could imagine needing is in there or few moments and mouse clicks away, lots of it signalk these days anyway. The V2 manual is still quite empty, but very good documentation is high on their list AFAIK. V2 can't be too far from actually being released, might as well go for V2 beta now, mostly there.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 11:04   #102

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
After a few years with a Pi onboard, IMHO there's only one game in town - Openplotter Everything you could imagine needing is in there or few moments and mouse clicks away, lots of it signalk these days anyway. The V2 manual is still quite empty, but very good documentation is high on their list AFAIK. V2 can't be too far from actually being released, might as well go for V2 beta now, mostly there.

Agreed, OpenPlotter V2 beta, which is required for Pi 4, works pretty well. I could t get tides to display, but otherwise all the basics are there.

What do people do to power off? Just use the software shut down command, or also disconnect the power? Is there any need to build a power button?

My Pi sits inside my nav table, so a remote power button would be nice.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 11:11   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Oday 28

Hello,

I was going to do this as well but wound up going another direction,

I have posted in the classifieds section for sale all the items I had bought to make this work with respect to OpenCPN nd the rasberry Pi items

Thanks
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 08:49   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We have been using a Pi 3 as our primary navigation tool for 3 years and one lap around the globe. We run the OpenPlotter install that includes OpenCPN, SignalK, and a bunch of other goodies. PyPilot is on the list of possible upgrades.

Overall we love the Pi and OpenPlotter. A couple of small items:
  1. Get a really good 5V power supply that is capable of supplying the required current (which varies depending on Pi model). These are cheap (12V-5V) but very necessary. Find one that outputs 5.25V if you can, that is the top end of the Pi spec and allows for some voltage drop.
  2. Get a really good USB power cable, as short as possible, to connect your Pi to the power supply. USB cables aren't great for supplying power, but there are a few out there with larger power conductors that will help limit the power drop.
  3. Use a quality SD card.
  4. Get a decent case for the Pi. This may set you back nearly as much as the unit itself. But the naked Pi board is a bit delicate - put it in a good case. That also helps keep the moisture at bay.

We use OpenCPN to provide routing information, display grib files, drive the autopilot (a Raymarine at the present moment), and just general navigation.

We use SignalK to run some web dashboards that allow us to see the instrument values (and some OpenCPN computed data) from tablets connected to WiFi anywhere on the boat. We occasionally also use the built-in VNC server to allow us remote views of the charts, but for that we usually just turn on the monitor (we normally run with the monitor off to save electricity).

Power usage averages about 4W (~0.33A @ 12V) so about 8Ah/day.

Can't say enough good things about both the hardware and the software.
I would add to look seriously at using a USB connected SSD instead of the SD card. They are much more reliable, and run faster. I've been using OpenPlotter for the past two years and I'm very happy with it.
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 09:31   #105

Boat: Beneteau M500 50'3"

Google 'wear level on sd card's' for a good explanation on how sd card's 'wear out and what to get, also openplotter will not run on RPi4, the RPi3B is the one to get,
benet250 is offline   Reply With Quote