Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2020, 14:25   #121

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Raspberry Pi as Onboard Computer

download test. camera to raspberry.

I haven't done this sort of thing in 25 years really even though I'm around it everyday.

And if I can do it anyone can although working in terminal mode did remind me of the 80's and 90's .......

And as far as navigation these past 8 years in the bay and ocean close by, I've been using pretty much what they had in the 70's, 80's and 90's, but I must say this is better and the charts are newer and better on OpenCPN

OpenCPN picture is of the Severn River up Mobjack Bay which is a great place to anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00557.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	207575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00558.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	207576  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 11:40   #122

Raspberry Pi in case w/fan before I destroyed it through ESD or otherwise.

I'm still having a hard time believing you can have a computer for this price ($99) and in this size with 4GB RAM and a 1.5GHZ processor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00568.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	207609  
Old 26-01-2020, 12:15   #123

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

You don't need to be worried about ESD too much. Hell, I remember building machines from my early teens and didn't worry about it much then either. Pis are mostly handled and molested, thrown it handbags without covers.

But anyway, a case and a fan is a good way to go in terms of longer term use. I have the fan-shim on mine. It automatically comes on a temp I set. Problem is I can't find a way to isolate the case enough that it doesn't cause vibration.

My Pi is screwed to some 5mm decorative bulkhead covering I have on the wall.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 13:04   #124

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but is anyone using a Raspberry Pi (running openplotter or otherwise) to decode weatherfaxs from a SSB receiver?

I've been using JWX on ubuntu which works fine on a middle of the road laptop, but when I try to use with my (more energy efficient) regular nav computer (an ancient dell mini12 netbook running xubuntu) it seems not to be powerful enough for the job.

So I'm wondering if the Pi3B I have lying about would be worth trying? and if so what software?
Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 13:28   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
You don't need to be worried about ESD too much. Hell, I remember building machines from my early teens and didn't worry about it much then either. Pis are mostly handled and molested, thrown it handbags without covers.

But anyway, a case and a fan is a good way to go in terms of longer term use. I have the fan-shim on mine. It automatically comes on a temp I set. Problem is I can't find a way to isolate the case enough that it doesn't cause vibration.

My Pi is screwed to some 5mm decorative bulkhead covering I have on the wall.
The ESD thing has been pounded into us tech's since the 90's. Then the cpu boards for our Encore / Gould mainframe computers were close to $100,000 each if memory serves. They have 256MB RAM!

Encore computer RSX CPU

The last ones (mainframes) we still have will be going off line in a month or two. We still keep the straps in the cabinets though for each
Old 26-01-2020, 15:16   #126

And I should have added to the above our newer systems have 1U computers with 32GB RAM........
Old 27-01-2020, 05:04   #127

Boat: Looking

Just a quick break to bring you guys this bit of video. The guy in this video has a lot of good info on small form factor computers and micro computers. It's one of his favorite things to play around with. He also has a website for those interested in reading more than watching.

Anyway, he has a good intro video to using the Linux terminal. It's very helpful and worth the watch.
Old 27-01-2020, 06:48   #128

Boat: Beneteau 423

I'm just starting to use the Raspberry Pi on a boat but have a lot of experience with them as AIS receivers on land.

I like them for the low power usage. I have one connected to the 12 volt TV in the salon powered off the TV's USB port.

I have installed OpenCPN and it gets navigation/wind/Internet from the onboard network.

I did a standard install of NOOBs instead of OpenPlotter. OpenPlotter had a lot of extras things running and would not update. I also wanted to use the Pi as a streaming media player so we can watch media on the same computer. OpenPlotter wouldn't load a media player. OpenCPN seems to run faster on the standard build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200125_121153.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	207649  
ns423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 06:55   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns423 View Post
I'm just starting to use the Raspberry Pi on a boat but have a lot of experience with them as AIS receivers.

I like them for the low power usage. I have one connected to the 12 volt TV in the salon powered off the TV's USB port.

I have installed OpenCPN and it gets navigation/wind/Internet from the onboard network.

I did a standard install of NOOBs instead of OpenPlotter. OpenPlotter had a lot of extras things running and would not update. I also wanted to use the Pi as a streaming media player so we can watch media on the same computer. OpenPlotter wouldn't load a media player. OpenCPN seems to run faster on the standard build.
NOOOB's is suppose to have recovery availablity also. I might reformat and load NOOB's just to try it.

Btw, that is one good looking display. I may need to return this cheap HDTV I bought with the Raspberry for one with better resolution.
Old 27-01-2020, 07:01   #130

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munoz View Post
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic but is anyone using a Raspberry Pi (running openplotter or otherwise) to decode weatherfaxs from a SSB receiver?

I've been using JWX on ubuntu which works fine on a middle of the road laptop, but when I try to use with my (more energy efficient) regular nav computer (an ancient dell mini12 netbook running xubuntu) it seems not to be powerful enough for the job.

So I'm wondering if the Pi3B I have lying about would be worth trying? and if so what software?

If you have an SSB receiver it is very easy to receive Navtex message and weatherfaxes.

What is missing the RPI is incoming sound. But if you take an sound receiver. Has en an audio input and an USB output.

Then you can use the open source software Fldigi. when be downloaded from the repositories. And weatherfax you can you Hanfax. Both free Linux applications.

Then you get this: I use the small Asus Xonar U3 for the sound input.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6349.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	207653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schermafdruk van 2020-01-14 00-12-50.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	207654  

verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 07:11   #131

Boat: Beneteau 423

Thanks, I kept the SD card with OpenPlotter if I decide I want to go back.

That's a 32" from Amazon, $300 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBSGR5F

The resolution is 720, not 1080 or 4K. Better power usage and still HD.
They make a 1080 if it is needed. Draws around 49 watts. Sound is acceptable but it's not a high powered sound bar. I may connect it to the sound system on the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Btw, that is one good looking display. I may need to return this cheap HDTV I bought with the Raspberry for one with better resulation.
ns423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 07:15   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
If you have an SSB receiver it is very easy to receive Navtex message and weatherfaxes.

What is missing the RPI is incoming sound. But if you take an sound receiver. Has en an audio input and an USB output.

Then you can use the open source software Fldigi. when be downloaded from the repositories. And weatherfax you can you Hanfax. Both free Linux applications.

Then you get this: I use the small Asus Xonar U3 for the sound input.

It is Hamfax:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weatherfax2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	207655  
Old 27-01-2020, 07:31   #133
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
V2 openplotter is way ahead, better to start afresh if the old card is still on V1.0/V1.2.

Hard to think why any boat system on a Pi wouldn't be using openplotter
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 07:32   #134

Quote:

That's a 32" from Amazon, $300 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBSGR5F

The resolution is 720, not 1080 or 4K. Better power usage and still HD.
They make a 1080 if it is needed. Draws around 49 watts. Sound is acceptable but it's not a high powered sound bar. I may connect it to the sound system on the boat.
Okay, thanks.

Maybe your camera just takes better pictures or you are just better at using one than I am.

The one I have now is 720 and power usage is important since my battery bank is only two 12 volt 90 ah batteries in parallel charged with 155 watts of solar when all panels are deployed.

Also, I'm using a 120 VAC HDTV which will be powered off my inverter which is a very inefficient way to do it

I was attempting to live on my boat when I sailed these last 8 years as they did many years ago, but it ain't working. I'm too use to technology. I need a TV, radios, internet, course plotter, ship tracking, and radar detector. (books also though, not Kindle)

I think I'll keep the HDTV because it's going to take a beating with me "throwing" it out on the bridge deck if I need to. I don't plan to mount it for a while

My solar and controllers have still yet to be mounted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New tiller.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	207659  
Old 27-01-2020, 07:48   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
V2 openplotter is way ahead, better to start afresh if the old card is still on V1.0/V1.2.

Hard to think why any boat system on a Pi wouldn't be using openplotter

Sailoog (OpenPlotter) mentioned that the official version 2.0 is almost ready and will be publiced in a short time. The present V2 image is working very well with a lot of innovations. Comes with OpenCPN and you can simply install the SignalK server.

Regards,

Bram