Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 17:11   #76

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Raspberry Pi as Onboard Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I waited too long to edit
I have found numerous 12v touchscreens but the largest I can find is 13in. Amazon has the 15.6in 5v usb-c powered for $169. Found it somewhere for $148 but it's hiding from me.
As for the Pi 4, when my wife found out it would be here next week she said ,"Thank You, and if it works well maybe you should buy yourself one, too"
I didn't even get to open the box yet
Nice.

I went with an inefficient 19" 120 volt ac monitor/Tv which will be powered off my inverter

I'll have to see how the solar deals with it and my two battery house bank 90ah each
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00547.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	207269   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00548.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	207270  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 17:43   #77

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Nice.

I went with an inefficient 19" 120 volt ac monitor/Tv which will be powered off my inverter

I'll have to see how the solar deals with it and my two battery house bank 90ah each
From my time truck driving, where companies frown upon inverters due to fire hazards, I learned most TVs that have a brick in the power cord are actually 12v DC. (Occasionally 9v or 5v DC) Any chance your's falls into that category?
Either way, modern TV off inverter should probably impress you with how improved their efficiency is.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 04:08   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
From my time truck driving, where companies frown upon inverters due to fire hazards, I learned most TVs that have a brick in the power cord are actually 12v DC. (Occasionally 9v or 5v DC) Any chance your's falls into that category?
Either way, modern TV off inverter should probably impress you with how improved their efficiency is.
No brick on this one, but I'm sure it will be fine and not use too much power.

The main power problem I have is with fans which I like to run all night. I wired in a 12 volt fan last year, but the battery voltage was still down near 12 - 12.1 volts in the am. With the 120 VAC fan, the battery would be down near 11.8 11.9 volts in the am sometimes
Old 20-01-2020, 18:01   #79

Did you guys have any trouble downloading the Raspbian Operating System for your Raspberry Pi?
Old 20-01-2020, 18:45   #80

Quote:
Did you guys have any trouble downloading the Raspbian Operating System for your Raspberry Pi?
If I remember correctly, I used the link below. All I recall doing was formatting (maybe) the new SD card, plugging the SD card into a PC laptop, downloading the OpenPlotter/Raspian file onto the card (from the web), transferring the card to the Pi, turning the Pi on, in business.

https://docs.sailoog.com/openplotter...etting-started
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2020, 19:33   #81
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
No trouble, links the v2 beta -
OpenPlotter 2 roadmap

Latest as of today -
https://nx8035.your-storageshare.de/s/sL9doDML7P4CQDo
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 03:30   #82

Okay, thanks.

I read most of that on OpenCPN downloading last night, but the links provided above give just a bit more information.

I'll now just have to buy a USB SD Card Reader for my laptop
Old 21-01-2020, 06:25   #83

For anyone new at this and happens to buy the kit (see link below), the SD Card reader is included I just didn't recognize it.

The ones we have at work accept all size SD memory cards and are larger.

I threw it aside when I was hooking everything up. Luckily I didn't destroy anything. It was like a bull in a china shop quick setup!

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...a-805715560965
Old 21-01-2020, 07:00   #84

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
The ones we have at work accept all size SD memory cards and are larger.
Any decent micro SD card you buy will come with an adapter to full size SD, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WR4IJBE comes with one.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 07:54   #85

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

This is the wiring I used test with, reversed the grey and brown from what the radio specified. I common grounded the adapter to the radio with the white wire because the Pi was on it's own power supply, but I doubt it needed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200121_094437.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	207342  
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 08:01   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
This is the wiring I used test with, reversed the grey and brown from what the radio specified. I common grounded the adapter to the radio with the white wire because the Pi was on it's own power supply, but I doubt it needed it.
Okay. Thanks for that info.
Old 21-01-2020, 12:35   #87

Boat: NAB 38, 11.45 m

The catalan guy sailoog behind Open Plotter runs a Little OnlineShop With interesting goodies. I bought the montessier hat, including gps and ais reception, worth looking at.
In the German raspberry community a thingy called StromPi is quite popular. It accepts 6 to 60 volts and acts as an UPS (uninterruptible Power Supply).
Screwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 13:19   #88

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdiver View Post
The catalan guy sailoog behind Open Plotter runs a Little OnlineShop With interesting goodies. I bought the montessier hat, including gps and ais reception, worth looking at.
Same here, running a Pi3B as main nav computer with a Moitessier HAT. Works great. Also interfaced with a Tinypilot and the Garmin NMEA2K network. 15" 12V display and a trackball. For the N2K interface I use Sailoog's USB-CAN stick. Cheap, works.

For software I use Openplotter. Everything integrates nicely and is not hard to set up. The tinypilot can be controlled in various ways, via an Opencpn plugin, via remote or via WiFi by whatever browser.

Microsoft Surface as Backup, running Opencpn.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 06:07   #89

So I got the SD card formatted and the Raspbian OS loaded then after multiple attempts I have opencpn loaded.

At first, it would fail and say something like no candidate or source. So I changed some of the lines that automatically popped up after doing list in terminal mode then after a few more attempts it seems to have loaded.

The map comes up etc but I am still starting openCPN from the terminal mode. Now to get some charts which I'll work on tonight hopefully.

It was quite simple in Windows to load and start OpenCPN, but this is different and sort of interesting as it reminds me of the days when all we had was the command prompt/command line
Old 22-01-2020, 06:31   #90

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
So I got the SD card formatted and the Raspbian OS loaded then after multiple attempts I have opencpn loaded.

At first, it would fail and say something like no candidate or source. So I changed some of the lines that automatically popped up after doing list in terminal mode then after a few more attempts it seems to have loaded.

The map comes up etc but I am still starting openCPN from the terminal mode. Now to get some charts which I'll work on tonight hopefully.

It was quite simple in Windows to load and start OpenCPN, but this is different and sort of interesting as it reminds me of the days when all we had was the command prompt/command line
I was recommend this image by on the Open Plotter forums. https://mega.nz/#!LNpB1K5Q!a4QaE5WDt...vG7xpnsLHYt0Xk

It worked a treat as I have having all kinds of problems with signalk not starting a boot and other issues when running openplotter on deafult Raspbian Buster.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote