Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2022, 13:31   #1

Radio Antenna Info Needed

I'm thinking of putting a second radio on my boat. I have one in the cabin and want to put one on the command bridge.
I would like the two of them to use the same antenna if possible.
I'm wondering if there's a junction/selector box that I can switch from one radio to the other?
Cdndewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 14:12   #2

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Radio Antenna Info Needed

Yes, there are switches - here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-CS-201A...ps%2C94&sr=8-3

The problem you will encounter is that if the switch is in the WRONG position, the radio you want to use will be useless . My personal preference would be two antennas, which is also a good backup in case of antenna failure (not unheard of!)
I have entirely too many antennas on our boat, so my opinion may be suspect

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 14:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
Yes, there are switches - here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-CS-201A...ps%2C94&sr=8-3

The problem you will encounter is that if the switch is in the WRONG position, the radio you want to use will be useless . My personal preference would be two antennas, which is also a good backup in case of antenna failure (not unheard of!)
I have entirely too many antennas on our boat, so my opinion may be suspect

Hartley
S/V Atsa
I'm not concerned about selecting the wrong radio. Just don't want a second antenna if I can get away with it.

Thanks for the link.
Old 02-02-2022, 15:32   #4

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Most antenna switches are not designed for "outdoor" applications. Being on a boat would be considered an outdoor application. I would recommend a small weather proof box to at least protect the switch from moister. I would splurge on getting a well know brand as they will prevent arching and other issues related to RF.

Make sure you turn off the other radio when not using it. Otherwise you will damage the front end of the receive circuit with an overload of RF.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 16:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
Most antenna switches are not designed for "outdoor" applications. Being on a boat would be considered an outdoor application. I would recommend a small weather proof box to at least protect the switch from moister. I would splurge on getting a well know brand as they will prevent arching and other issues related to RF.

Make sure you turn off the other radio when not using it. Otherwise you will damage the front end of the receive circuit with an overload of RF.
It's going to be inside the cabin so that's not an issue. No problem with turning off the unused radio.
Old 03-02-2022, 13:31   #6

Boat: Ericson 27

Why not get a radio with a second station? I’ve got an icom m506, which is down below, and a command mic up in the cockpit. The latter replicates all the functions of the radio (albeit a smaller screen) and is waterproof for use in the open cockpit.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 13:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
Why not get a radio with a second station? I’ve got an icom m506, which is down below, and a command mic up in the cockpit. The latter replicates all the functions of the radio (albeit a smaller screen) and is waterproof for use in the open cockpit.
The boat came with one in the cabin, and I bought one for my other boat that I never installed so it's going on the command bridge of the new boat.
Old 03-02-2022, 14:14   #8

Not saying it's the best way, but within the constraints of the OP's question there are any number of companies that sell active antenna splitters for this purpose. Probably the most common is the Vesper unit that is frequently used when AIS and VHF share an antenna, but Shakespeare and other make them too.

Quote:
This innovative switch toggles two radios to one antenna. It mounts out of the way, because you don't have to get at it to use it. When you key the microphone on one of the radios, it switches the antenna to it. Automatically. The radio stays locked onto the antenna until the automatic switch detects a transmit signal from the other radio. Easy!
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 15:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
Not saying it's the best way, but within the constraints of the OP's question there are any number of companies that sell active antenna splitters for this purpose. Probably the most common is the Vesper unit that is frequently used when AIS and VHF share an antenna, but Shakespeare and other make them too.

Thanks...some more to look into.
Old 03-02-2022, 21:21   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

The most reliable, easiest to use, and most flexible way is to install another antenna. If you have a powerboat (which is what your post implies) then you shouldn't have trouble finding room for a second antenna. Costs will end up being about the same.
Old 08-02-2022, 22:21   #11

don't do it. there is no good solution. add a 2nd antenna

or get a vhf that has an external handset. so you can have a mic in 2 places with 1 radio and 1 antenna
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 22:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post

the vesper one is not for 2 vhf.

the skapespeare one is dangerous. only one vhf works at a time. and you have to switch back and forth by transmitting the radio that you want to work. so even though both vhfs could be powered up. only one radio will receive any transmission. and you always need to be paying attention to which one was last selected. to me that is dangerous as the helm you are using may not be the one that is currently working. you will think the radio is on but you will be missing calls
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio