Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 21:11   #301
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Radar or Not ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Most who sail anywhere of great distance realize they aren't going to use radar every night- unless in conditions like fog. Even in dark night, you should be able to see an unlit fishing boat or any other object. We have never had any problems-even in a new moon. We can turn on radar if we see anything suspicious but it is not kept on unless needed or coming into a new cove.
If your power budget is that stingy, you need to rethink your charging system. Modern radar can be set to intermittent use, and can be quite economical in terms of electrical draw. Unless I'm sailing a deep broad reach in light air, it's the rare night when I can't run my radar, nav lights and autopilot off the wind generator.

I'm colorblind, and therefore have above-average night vision. But I don't see a tenth as well as my radar sees at night.
Old 14-11-2011, 21:47   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash

If your power budget is that stingy, you need to rethink your charging system. Modern radar can be set to intermittent use, and can be quite economical in terms of electrical draw. Unless I'm sailing a deep broad reach in light air, it's the rare night when I can't run my radar, nav lights and autopilot off the wind generator.

I'm colorblind, and therefore have above-average night vision. But I don't see a tenth as well as my radar sees at night.
Not a power issue. Just don't feel we need radar on full time.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 03:56   #303

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Most who sail anywhere of great distance realize they aren't going to use radar every night- unless in conditions like fog. Even in dark night, you should be able to see an unlit fishing boat or any other object. We have never had any problems-even in a new moon. We can turn on radar if we see anything suspicious but it is not kept on unless needed or coming into a new cove.
You are on the track I put in one of may last posts...the difference between coastal and offshore cruising. Traffic densities dictate the real need/use for radar and ais...most people's arguments here show how little they are really looking at the big picture and are arguing to argue...or hey actually think people should do as they do.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 04:49   #304
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindfall View Post
It's the same principle as having a motorcycle...if you have a $10 head then get the $10 helmet. My crew and safety is worth all the "tools" I can afford and have aboard, radar and AIS is just part of those tools.
I've got a $10 helmet If anyone thinks that the price of a helmet reduces the risk of an accident they need their head examined . Techonolgy never fully compensates for ignorance. But IME some people are just happier living in the land of stupidity and in the west we have a vast "Safety" industry built around it, both private sector and gubberment...........

Obviously the areas that folk are based (or cruise) in varies wildly. Personally I am quite surprised that so many are in areas that are foggy 24/7, have both vast commercial shipping traffic and even more looney pleasure boats.........and it's always nightime In those circumstances I too would be watching a TV screen - just not on a boat when navigating.

Sometimes I really wonder if I am undertaking the same activity as others .

Kinda like putting a sidecar (or trailor) on a Honda Goldwing. Yeah, it's still motorcycling and about enjoying the freedom of the road blah, blah, blah - but IMO kinda misses the point.........but each to there own etc etc.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 12:34   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

Obviously the areas that folk are based (or cruise) in varies wildly. Personally I am quite surprised that so many are in areas that are foggy 24/7, have both vast commercial shipping traffic and even more looney pleasure boats.........and it's always nightime In those circumstances I too would be watching a TV screen
For a minute there I thought you meant the PNW. But you didn't mention constant rain.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 12:41   #306

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I've got a $10 helmet If anyone thinks that the price of a helmet reduces the risk of an accident they need their head examined . Techonolgy never fully compensates for ignorance. But IME some people are just happier living in the land of stupidity and in the west we have a vast "Safety" industry built around it, both private sector and gubberment...........

Obviously the areas that folk are based (or cruise) in varies wildly. Personally I am quite surprised that so many are in areas that are foggy 24/7, have both vast commercial shipping traffic and even more looney pleasure boats.........and it's always nightime In those circumstances I too would be watching a TV screen - just not on a boat when navigating.

Sometimes I really wonder if I am undertaking the same activity as others .

Kinda like putting a sidecar (or trailor) on a Honda Goldwing. Yeah, it's still motorcycling and about enjoying the freedom of the road blah, blah, blah - but IMO kinda misses the point.........but each to there own etc etc.

Lets apply risk management to bike riding.

Being small and particually your electric bike vs a large bike visability and being seen of a bike rider by motorist is NO 1 issue in accidents.

I hope you wear high visability retro reflective jacket to be seen. I am afraid its hard to be sympathic towards a bike rider wearing all black and a black helmet that is same colour as road pavement.

Safe riding but please be High Viz. Like adding radar reflector by small vessel in heavy traffic. End of rant
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar