Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2015, 15:34   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Radar or not ....

We sailed for twenty odd years without radar and many a day we did not switch it on. Now we have it but mainly because it came with.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 15:48   #32

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Rustic Charm,

I think I can catch the eye of a staff member or two. I'll be sure to put in a good word for you as "thread extender of the year". That is, as soon as contest is announced. ��

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
really I just wanted to follow the thread, so had to say something useless so I get the posts. Maybe in a couple of years I'll finally get one.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 15:56   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
really I just wanted to follow the thread, so had to say something useless so I get the posts. Maybe in a couple of years I'll finally get one.
'nothing wrong with your plan, but there is another simple route. Click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the forum and then select "Subscribe to this Thread". This will keep you with a notice of all new posts.
Old 23-10-2015, 16:41   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
We sailed for twenty odd years without radar and many a day we did not switch it on. Now we have it but mainly because it came with.
Same here. We did the milk run without radar nor gps and managed to avoid many reefs just by good old fashion navigation. Crossed the pond many times without anything but a plot chart and dead reckoning. Think kids nowadays are too dependent on their electronic toys.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 19:13   #35

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
'nothing wrong with your plan, but there is another simple route. Click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the forum and then select "Subscribe to this Thread". This will keep you with a notice of all new posts.
thank you. found that now. What can I say I'm a typical man, I don't read instructions

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 04:37   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Spinbig.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 05:45   #37

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Not to quarrel with anything folks have said about sailing without radar, but I want correct some misinformation about radar capabilities. A good, properly adjusted radar _will_ pick up logs, unlit kayaks, and fishing boats. I have picked up a seagull with my Furuno. In addition a GPS is very accurate, but sometimes the charts are not. Gut Bay in Chatham Strait is over 1/2 mile from it's charted position. Relying solely on the GPS would have put me into a cliff.

We made our first trip to Alaska many years ago with a compass and a lead line. We did not run at night or in the fog, something radar and GPS allow us to do a lot of now.
Old 24-10-2015, 06:10   #38

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
A good, properly adjusted radar _will_ pick up logs, unlit kayaks, and fishing boats. I have picked up a seagull with my Furuno.
it depends on the sea state, the experience in fine tuning the radar and the hight of the radar dome.
the rougher the environment for the radar, the more attention it requires to be usefull up to a point where it becomes a burden shorthanded.

fog + swell crossing the tide f.i... you can set the radar to pick up the eddies but you need to know that you are picking up eddies with those settings and not other ships
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 06:26   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
My question: can I get by w/o radar for one season in the Bahamas on our 40ft sailboat? .........
Those in disagreement about not needing the radar should recall the previous recommendations were for a season in the Bahamas.

I think we all agree that radar has many advantages, but some cruising areas with fog and rock have more need for radar than the Bahamas.
Old 24-10-2015, 15:49   #40

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
I am in North Florida, just about ready to head for Miami and then crossing to the Bahamas. As of yesterday, our old Raymarine Radar system has bit the dust. It's an old analog system so no support or parts or any help whatsoever from Raymarine.

I have neither the time nor money to replace the radar dome and chartplotter right now. I have two Garmin GPS units that are used for navigation. We rely on the radar primarily for night cruising and storm tracking. No fog in the Bahamas Mon!

My question: can I get by w/o radar for one season in the Bahamas on our 40ft sailboat?

Thanks......
You didn't say which model Raymarine radar/plotter you have,but if it has a plotter function,it must have a GPS input.
You indicate the dome is bad. If display still works,can you still use the plotter function with GPS 0183 input from an ext. GPS?

Jus wundrin...
Cheers/ Len
Old 24-10-2015, 16:10   #41
CLOD

Boat: none

The thing missing in the thread is a dollar amount. The questions should be "Is it worth spending $1500 for radar in the Bahamas?". I'm going to be facing whether to replace my radar fairly soon. Even though I have sailed the NE USA for the last 8 years I'm thinking the answer is NO.

If you have radar now and have been using or not using it regularly the answer should be pretty apparent on whether you feel it is worth your money.
Old 24-10-2015, 17:07   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

Our boat spent the last three winters in the Bahamas, and she let us come visit on a regular basis (darn work). There are rules in the Bahamas.

Rule 1: never sail at night

Rule 2: commercial vessels in the Bahamas are not required to have AIS, and mostly they don't, particularly those giant inter-island ferries, that deliver everything from TV sets to furniture to a new truck for a guy on Exuma. And trust me, they are not keeping a lookout all the time.

Rule 3: It can rain hard enough to restrict visibility, but the odds of you running aground are greater than finding the ferry.

Rule 4: watch where you anchor, even if it is out of the marked fairway, move further. I was almost run down by a big green ferry that was coming out of Governors Harbor on Eleuthera. He was throwing a bow wave and too close for comfort, I had to raise him on the radio and get him to make a choice because there wasn't time for both of us to turn the same way. Yes, I missed him the first time on my lookout, and 5 minutes later he was behind my bbq grill and I thought there was something wrong with radar in the middle of the day when I saw the blotch but no AIS signal, until I looked behind the grill. But he had no lookout, no restricted course, and I am pretty sure had set the auto pilot and left the wheel.

I then heard from Galeen, a Valiant 42' that the same ferry had run down without stopping in the middle of the night in Rock Harbor on Eleuthera. Galeen was anchored in an anchor zone, out of the channel, with anchor light and deck light on. The ferry hit Galeen from the stern and split her to the waterline, but not further. We buddy sailed to Spanish Wells, where he got enough repair to come back to the US for full repair and X-ray. (The valiant was fine, no broken tabs on the bulkheads)

So you are not going anywhere to hav fog, you will love the Bahamas, particularly the Exumas, but keep an eye out at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Former: The Spike, Island Packet 44 #14; Bali Ha'i, Pearson 10M #14
Pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 17:40   #43

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

PK--good post.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 06:50   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 351

Thanks TN

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Former: The Spike, Island Packet 44 #14; Bali Ha'i, Pearson 10M #14
Pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 20:42   #45

Boat: Bayfield 40
~

Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies. I should have said that we've crossed to the Bahamas for 4 seasons so have a good idea what to expect. We have probably relied on radar for two ship locations and one storm. We are now so used to having radar that it's a different conversation to ask if we really "need" it for sailing from GA to the Bahamas.

And yes, it is a matter of cost to do this now. The bottom line for chartplotter/radar bundle is ~$2000 and I just don't want to shell out that kinda cash right now ... just for one more season in the Bahamas! And, I'm not so sure I want to upgrade to an AIS/VHF radio based on what I'm learning! AIS may not perform as I'd like in the Bahamas. We cross the Gulf Stream in the daylight, always have someone at the helm, and are pretty conservative with our weather windows.

It's good to be grounded about the things we "really need"!
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar