Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2023, 09:20   #136

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Radar or AIS to rouse me when in a stupor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I wrote the majority of cruisers have it. I agree the local boats are mostly open go-fast and small fishing boats that don't. The cruisers seem to be mostly sailboats and trawlers/sedan cruisers above 35 ft. and I think most do if the hailing port on the transom is far from the place where we saw it.

We met a lot of loopers too, and there seemed to be a large percentage of them AIS-equipped.
Still not what we saw.

And trying to offer a slow pass to sailor and slower trawlers was mostly a crap shoot.... especially when we couldn't see (or read) a boat name... what with radios off, or maybe down below, or maybe no radio watch...

Plus fancy fonts on the quarters (instead of stern) are mostly useless for figuring out boat names...

By slow pass... I could clarify. We often travel at about 8-8.5 kts, at least when sea states permit. We often encountered boats going slower. It's usually easy enough to get by without rocking their boat, but I do still like to offer a slow pass just in case somebody happens to be listening. Often the answer to that has been "not."

-Chris
Old 03-01-2023, 10:38   #137

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If it turns out you weren’t making as good a speed as planned and you were entering the jetties after dark, would you rather have AIS or radar to guide you through those jetties and up the channel?
I'd rather have the Navionics app on my phone. The jetties and channel don't move.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:46   #138
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I'd rather have the Navionics app on my phone. The jetties and channel don't move.

But how well is it charted? I’ve had chartplotters and iPad apps that show my boat on land when very clearly I’m moving through the water!
Some channels do move, but I wouldn’t consider those as being very safe for nighttime navigation, unless CG is on top of repositioning the markers.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:38   #139

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

As an interesting side note with absolutely no point to make:

I recently did the shifty Big Sarasota pass inlet by gps waypoints alone. No local knowledge other than the waypoints

Another first for me. It was a little nerve wracking. Was thankful it was daytime so i could see the sandbars all around me. Made me feel better even if I didn’t use visual cues for navigation.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 17:57   #140

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
As an interesting side note with absolutely no point to make:

I recently did the shifty Big Sarasota pass inlet by gps waypoints alone. No local knowledge other than the waypoints

Another first for me. It was a little nerve wracking. Was thankful it was daytime so i could see the sandbars all around me. Made me feel better even if I didn’t use visual cues for navigation.

Brave man…..but what’s your draft boards up?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 19:23   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Brave man…..but what’s your draft boards up?
I had boards partially down and rudders down and out boards down.

I think I was drawing approximately 3.25 feet.

I’m only 24 inches if I pull everything up. But the boat does not work well without a little bit of dagger board. Too much sides slipping.
Old 23-01-2023, 09:09   #142

Boat: Precision P-18, Catalina 30

One thought? Get neither.....cuz that will keep you more alert then if you begin to psychologically rely on a proximity alarm. (I helped a friend sail a boat from San Francisco to Cabo. When I learned he had no radar, I was nervous. 1,500 miles later, I learned to trust my eyes, binoculars, and charts. And I came to realize that while I was exhausted, I was definitely more alert and confident on the overnight shift. That said, we never hit much fog or poor visibility conditions. That might have changed my perspective!). Best of luck, whatever you choose...
Spring-Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 09:47   #143

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring-Fever View Post
One thought? Get neither.....cuz that will keep you more alert then if you begin to psychologically rely on a proximity alarm. (I helped a friend sail a boat from San Francisco to Cabo. When I learned he had no radar, I was nervous. 1,500 miles later, I learned to trust my eyes, binoculars, and charts. And I came to realize that while I was exhausted, I was definitely more alert and confident on the overnight shift. That said, we never hit much fog or poor visibility conditions. That might have changed my perspective!). Best of luck, whatever you choose...
If you helped a friend sail to Cabo, there were at least two of you onboard. That is not singlehanding which the thread is about. You could get sleep/cook/crap while another pair of eyeballs was/could be on deck.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 10:33   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
If you helped a friend sail to Cabo, there were at least two of you onboard. That is not singlehanding which the thread is about. You could get sleep/cook/crap while another pair of eyeballs was/could be on deck.
Exactly.

you get the spirit of this thread. You have to be able to eat. You have to be able to use the bathroom. I want another mechanical pair of eyes for these moments. Even if I start nodding off on an overnight.

Alertness can drop single-handing. Might as well have all the tools you can to help with that.
Old 23-01-2023, 16:55   #145

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Alertness does drop singlehanding. I basically sailed from Los Angeles to Cabo then La Paz single handed. I know the signs of sleep deprivation. If it gets bad enough, you start hallucinating - no meds/herbs required.
Standard Horizon sells a VHF radio that includes AIS reception(no broadcast) and it isn’t appreciably more expensive than VHF radios without AIS reception. It outputs NMEA0183 at two baud rates, and it was easy for me to integrate the AIS output to my RM MFD - the model of which I can’t recall at the moment.
I did get the RM Quantum digital radar and like the ease of use.
In your situation I’d get radar over an AIS transceiver. If you haven’t bought your VHF radio yet (doubtful) pick up the Standard Horizon. It does add useful information to your electronic sensor suite at very low incremental cost.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 04:59   #146

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
Alertness does drop singlehanding. I basically sailed from Los Angeles to Cabo then La Paz single handed. I know the signs of sleep deprivation. If it gets bad enough, you start hallucinating - no meds/herbs required.
Standard Horizon sells a VHF radio that includes AIS reception(no broadcast) and it isn’t appreciably more expensive than VHF radios without AIS reception. It outputs NMEA0183 at two baud rates, and it was easy for me to integrate the AIS output to my RM MFD - the model of which I can’t recall at the moment.
I did get the RM Quantum digital radar and like the ease of use.
In your situation I’d get radar over an AIS transceiver. If you haven’t bought your VHF radio yet (doubtful) pick up the Standard Horizon. It does add useful information to your electronic sensor suite at very low incremental cost.
I second that advice
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:47   #147

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Re: Radar or AIS to kick me in the butt when in a stupor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Sweet_Ruca View Post
Maybe my reply was worded a bit strong. Not meant to cause alarm, pun intended ;-)

We have also sailed lots of shorthanded miles at night without the gizmos. Surely waking up every 15 minutes and doing a horizon check can also get you by.

The new radars are light-years ahead of the old tech. No warm up, MARPA, better visibility and draw so little battery you can leave them on 24/7 if wanted. The close range, flat water vision is phenomenal.

That said, while offshore, frequently we will see vessels on AIS first or if no AIS and small we will usually see their lights before picking them up on radar.

If you could choose only one or the other, it is a tough call. Radar is the more intensive install, ais can be added more easily later.

AIS is so cheap these days, it is hard to skip. Using a system with all the bells & whistles, you can enjoy a lot more sleep than before.
Curios what radar you guys have
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, ais