Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 07:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Radar Mounted on the Spreader?????

Need a little help understanding the logic to this.

Why would an installer mount the radar on the spreader?

The downsides are obvious- Mounted on the starboard side, it gives a large "blind spot" to port as the widest part of the mast is along the transmit zone. If on a deep port broad reach, one has to over-trim the sail to avoid laying it on the radar antenna. (boat is a cat with no backstay, so the spreaders are swept back)

Is there any advantage to the spreader mount? The vessel did not have a big 150 or 171 head sail. If it did, one could argue the sail will tack easier, but at the cost of speed off the wind.

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:43   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Radar Mounted on the Spreader?????

It seems that if the jib is laying on the spreader-mounted radar, then it would still have issues even if the radar wasn't there.

The radar is mounted on the starboard side spreader with the mast reducing vision to the port side...the theory being that anyone on your port side is supposed to give way to you anyway. I can't see a problem with it mounted on the front of the mast as long as it doesn't catch the jib or interfere with a storm-sail halyard if you have one. If the jib touches it when it's mounted on the front of the mast, you don't ever want to get caught in irons with the sail flogging on it.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 04:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Bump

Any other thoughts??
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 01-08-2018, 07:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Need a little help understanding the logic to this.

Why would an installer mount the radar on the spreader?

The downsides are obvious- Mounted on the starboard side, it gives a large "blind spot" to port as the widest part of the mast is along the transmit zone. If on a deep port broad reach, one has to over-trim the sail to avoid laying it on the radar antenna. (boat is a cat with no backstay, so the spreaders are swept back)

Is there any advantage to the spreader mount? The vessel did not have a big 150 or 171 head sail. If it did, one could argue the sail will tack easier, but at the cost of speed off the wind.

Thanks
I've seen it done so a sail on the inner forestay can be fully hoisted without fouling the radar. In this case the alternative was a shorter luff and a long length of halyard.
flyingboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 16:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingboat View Post
I've seen it done so a sail on the inner forestay can be fully hoisted without fouling the radar. In this case the alternative was a shorter luff and a long length of halyard.

That kind of makes sense.

Was my trim off? On a deep broad reach it felt like the main “wanted” to lay on the antenna.

If that is the case, then aren’t you reading performance on one point of sail for performance on another?

Or am I wrong? I am running that boat again this weekend and will play with it some more.

Tags
radar