Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 16:03   #1
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432
Radar mount on Beneteau Oceanis 430

Am looking for feedback opinions on mounting a Raymarine RD424 to a Seaview pole mount at the transom. I havenlooked into mast mounts, backstay mounts, arches, and poles. The mast option is popular, but the install and maintenance would be difficult. The backstay mount doesn't appeal to me due to the load on the rigging and I will be installing a SSB soon. Arches are nice, but not in the budget and there is an existing wind generator on it's own pole aft, port side. I have settled on the Seaview pole system, but am looking at the Scanstrut system as well. In like the wiring in the Seaview as the cable passes through the pole and deck, whereas the Scanstrut has a channel and requires a separate hole in the deck. Any thoughts? It seems easy to go down with the cable into the lazarette and back up through the pedestal or pedestal guard. Thanks!
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 18:27   #2

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Radar mount on Beneteau Oceanis 430

I put an RD218 on my mast about 6 months ago. You didn't say what radar display you are using, but I'm guessing either a C or E series classic? My two comments to your plan would be that you might want to consider a RD218 instead of a RD424 if it is not too late. Besides the size issue, I believe the 424 requires a separate source of power (i.e. from the breaker panel), where the 218 takes its power from the chartplotter. There's nothing wrong with that, but it adds some complication to the install, and I personnally don't think the extra power from a 424 vs a 218 is needed (YMMV).

Best of luck with your install!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 18:34   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Radar mount on Beneteau Oceanis 430

we have a jeanneau ds40 and used a quest pole for the radar mounting - no load on the back stay and made it so it swung with the boat - we then added an ssb but i refused to cut my back stay and put on a gam electronics antenna and ran all the wiring down the quest pole to enter to boat from the back of the cockpit -
we also put on an ais and ran the wiring down the quest pole for the gps and antenna -- quest pole is now full

as for the gam electronics -- some "experts" say they do not work - but over and over cruisers out here tell me i boom and we have been relays for chris parker, cruiser nets ect -so we think the "expert" have no idea what they are talking about --

OH -- my younger brother lives in kingsport

chuck patty and svsoulmates
boca chica dominican republic
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 19:09   #4
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432
Thanks for the quick response. I already have the RD424 and it plugs right into the back of the E80 with no other requirements. In will have a look at the Quest system. Sounds like it worked well. I agree regarding the backstay with the SSB. I currently plan on a conventional antenna off the pole or along the backstay with stand offs and a KISS counterpoise. That's a later project. Small world regarding your brother. Kingsport is a great place to live, but several hundred miles from the boat in Merritt Island.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis