Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 11:30   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
Radar interference with electronics concern

I am thinking about installing a 40W radar in a mid-sized boat and wondering about the potential for interference.

I assume the radar will be blasting EM radiation into the pilothouse where there are all kinds of electronic and radio gear. Have people here experienced radar-generated interference in their cabin electronics?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 11:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Radar interference with electronics concern

Unless you're going to mount the radar at eye level, there should be no electronic interference or health danger. I've used marine radar my whole adult life on boats and ships and never had problems and I'm 70. On really old stuff, sometimes radios would hum as the radar aligned with the radio antenna during its sweep.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 12:17   #3

Boat: Riva 48

The radar is not a concern. Most of the current goes to heat the magnetron and in reality you only have 1 to 2 amps @ 12V emitted in the X-band which is insignificant.

The SSB on the other hand is easily 10x the power. On my boat, operating the SSB sometimes shuts down the inverter - go figure.
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 18:48   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Unless you're going to mount the radar at eye level, "

A clueless boat owner who doesn't read the installation manual can still put the radar too low, and irradiate crew standing on the bow. Depending on the radar, the beam may have a vertical spread of 20-40 degrees and that "cone" should be clear above anyone standing on deck, and clear below any antennas that are aloft (like the VHF).

Usually not a problem but perhaps a professional installation might be more reassuring.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, enc, interference, radar