Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 10:31   #1
SFH

Boat: Jeanneau Yacht 53
Send a message via Skype™ to SFH
Radar installation: Problem with genoa

Yesterday I gave the go ahead to install a Raymarine 424HD radar at the center of the mast on my Jeanneau 53 only to receive a mail this morning from the team instaling the radar that there MIGHT be a problem with the 132% genoa hitting the scanner when tacking.

Instead the team now recommend to install it off-centre/on the side of the mast to protect it from the sail.

Now I am getting second thoughts. Should I accept the suggested solution and get it installed on the side of the mast/off-centre (which probably looks a bit strange) or should I call of the installation and then put it on a pole at the stern?

Or will a Scanstrut "radar guard" be sufficient to protect both the sail and the scanner when tacking?

Could really need some advice from other that have been in a similar situation

/Steen
SFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS
Re: Radar installation: Problem with genoa

I can confirm that there is a risk that the genoa might touch the radar. In fact this is exactly what happened on my boat, (during a wild maneuver when the genoa was flapping about uncontrollably for about 20 seconds. - but that is another story- with the genny eventually catching the radar mount and ripping it out. :-(. I thus discovered that the aluminum rivets were pretty weak and I replaced them with steel ones, - in the original location, it is a much stronger installation now.

To be honest, I think the risk is minimal - with the proviso of Murphy's law, cf above - but weighing all the various options, I preferred to continue having the radar mounted on the mast facing forward, rather than on the spreaders, or on a stern pole.
Phoenician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 15:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Measure the highest point the sail can hit on the boat, then install the radar above this point by a foot or so. It's gets trickier if you ever decide to install a 155 for light air venues since it has to go even further up.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 21:11   #4

Boat: Baltic 38DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Measure the highest point the sail can hit on the boat, then install the radar above this point by a foot or so. It's gets trickier if you ever decide to install a 155 for light air venues since it has to go even further up.
Don't know type of boat you have but my 135 goes practically to the top of the mast. No way you can mount the dome above the theoretical point where the sail can hit the mast. The question is, though, where does sail hit the mast in reality. Normally, most of the sail flaps far forward of the mast when tacking with only the clew and about 2 - 3 yards above hitting the mast.

I have the same radar as the OP on a 38 footer, mounted below the second spreader at the front of the mast. We asked North Sails for advice last year and they installed patches on the genoa. We have not yet seen any instances where the sail hit the radar dome, let alone hit it hard. I've stopped worrying about it.

In summary: make sure you don't mount it too high so it is not too close to the forestay (also very important if you use a solent stay!), and don't mount it too low to prevent a flapping sail hitting it. Patches on the genoa don't do much except give you a warm fuzzy feeling, IMHO. At least, on my goat, maybe YMMV.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 02:26   #5
SFH

I went on with the radar installation on the mast as planned and as I feared I experienced an issue with the genoa during tacking.

The problem seems to occur only in light air where there is only little wind to drive the genoa to the other side. However now that I am aware of it, it is not really a problem

According to the marina they have poor experience with the Scanstrut protector which is too weak so now working on a customized protection at the same price as the Scanstrut.

I will post a picture once completed

/Steen
Old 23-04-2014, 00:04   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW, we have had radars mounted on the front of the mast on two boats and for lots of years and thousands of miles. I'm sure that the various genoas have whacked the radars more than once, but we have had sturdy mounts and no damage has ever occurred. We have not had any ancillary protection for the radome.

YMMV, but I doubt if you should worry too much about this.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-04-2014, 04:25   #7

Boat: contessa 32

I saw an installation where the radome was installed on the spinnaker pole track and elevated to 8 feet above the deck with a block at the top of the track. This was an install that was only put in place on a "as needed" basis, i.e. New England waters in the first part of the boating season but available if needed, but usually stored below keeping the sailing rig clear and efficient ( less weight and windage aloft etc.).
I would be very interested in hearing from others who have tried something along these lines as I suspect the compromises attendant could easily be out weighed by the advantages in smaller craft and racers.

………………….luv you all ………………………mike…………………………………………..
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 17:14   #8

Pros/Cons of fixed vs self-leveling radar mount on the mast?
this
tmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 18:25   #9

Boat: Oyster 53

I'm with Jim Cate on this. We have a similar installation and never have had a problem. If the gennie flogs in the wind the real beating occurs down low at deck level not high up on the mast.

Of course, the idea is not to let the sails flog if you can avoid it. My sailmaker long ago told me, "Remember, it's a dollar a flog."

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 29-05-2014, 00:01   #10
SFH

We went ahead with the installation on the front of the mast and have not experienced any problems so far.

The boat has been going from Marina Badalona in Barcelona to La Rochelle during the last three weeks with no problems.

I might decide to install one of these radar protectors tings when I reach the final destination and anchor for the summer but it is not a Priority 1
Old 07-06-2014, 17:29   #11

My last boat came with the radar mounted to the side of the mast. There was a very minor amount of shielding to the radar picture at 90* but it was never an issue. I thought the offset mount worked well and looked like it would be less likely to snag. But it was wasted on that boat with its Solent rig. The inner jib was less than 100% and the outer genoa was mounted so close to the jib that you had to roll it up to tack. Sounds like you're all set but I thought I'd put in a good word for the offset mount if anyone else was looking.
squiby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa, installation, radar