Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 13:47   #1

radar for lighthouse II

Hello I got a Raymarine Lighthouse II plotter, It says in the manuel it can show radar overlay with a suitable radar scanner.
now does someone in here like to share there knowledge af what scanner will work with this plotter and how it is put together. The raymarine home page is a bit confusing, to me at least.
Cheers
Soren
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:03   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: radar for lighthouse II

The straight Quantum is the easiest and cheapest option for this, then get a cable that runs between the two.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:03   #3

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I have a Raymarine a77 MDF with a Raymarine HD radar. The overlay means that on your chart screen the radar overlays on the chart. This means on the chart shoreline you get a purple line corresponding showing the chart is accurate. The amount of radar color you can adjust. If you have AIS overlaying as well you will see the AIS of the ship and the radar ping on the map. Works nice
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:06   #4

Boat: Mahe 36

If you get a quantum radar you can wifi to the plotter, only then need power to it.
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:09   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Wifi is seriously unreliable at a distance or when you really need it to work, particularly on the Raymarine kit. Unless you are mounting the radar within a couple of metres of the MFD, plan on using wire.

Edit: unless you are certain it's going to work perfectly, save money and get the non-wifi version
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 14:11   #6

Boat: Mahe 36

Have had 0 problems in 2 years, very reliable
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 22:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Wifi is seriously unreliable at a distance or when you really need it to work, particularly on the Raymarine kit. Unless you are mounting the radar within a couple of metres of the MFD, plan on using wire.

Edit: unless you are certain it's going to work perfectly, save money and get the non-wifi version

We've never had a problem with ours. And the WiFi is insanely easier than running the data wire. IF it's convenient to run the data wire, then, sure, go for it.

I will tell you that it's common for folks to have a configuration problem the first time you set it up. Just follow the direction, rather than guessing.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:10   #8

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:

We got two. Neither connected at first so got two replacements. Mine works good (Beneteu 38) my friends Wifi never worked on his boat (Catalina 36) but did on mine so he ended up getting the wired version. His Wifi one is for sale if you are interested.

We never figured out the issue. Maybe mine was because my MFD was in the cockpit and his was below deck (but close to companion way
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:28   #9

Boat: Bavaria 44"

Quote:
Originally Posted by soerencarlsen View Post
Hello I got a Raymarine Lighthouse II plotter, It says in the manuel it can show radar overlay with a suitable radar scanner.
now does someone in here like to share there knowledge af what scanner will work with this plotter and how it is put together. The raymarine home page is a bit confusing, to me at least.
Cheers
Soren
Hi Sören.
i was facing similar problems. Quantum 2 radar work only with Lighthouse 3. To update from 2 to 3 only works with SD card. even after upgrade radar won‘t work. It tooks Raymarine one week to get the system working.
Best christian
Salzstange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
We got two. Neither connected at first so got two replacements. Mine works good (Beneteu 38) my friends Wifi never worked on his boat (Catalina 36) but did on mine so he ended up getting the wired version. His Wifi one is for sale if you are interested.

We never figured out the issue. Maybe mine was because my MFD was in the cockpit and his was below deck (but close to companion way

where abouts is he located?
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 13:40   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I have the Raymarine Quantum (not Quantum 2) mounted at the first spreaders on a Scanstrut self-levelling bracket running with wifi to my Raymarine A95 plotter which is on LH II. You can only use the Quantum 2 if you have LH III.

The Quantum plotter will seek out the easiest wifi connection when you are trying to pair it so so cannot do it in a marina where there are sure to be lots of other wifi signals. You have to go out with the boat a few miles, turn OFF any other wifi unit you have onboard such as phones, iPads, laptops, and then make the pairing.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 08-05-2019, 00:27   #12

Boat: Hylas 46

We bought a c127 (Lighthouse II) plotter and Quantum radar antenna. It came with cable, but we tried the wifi first (14 m, 46 ft. Hylas - radar at first spreader, plotter at helm) and it has worked flawlessly in a marina or not. An advantage of the Quantum, besides only needing power wires, is low power draw. A disadvantage, in my opinion, is that it gives a poorer picture than the previous RD4. There's a fair amount of adjustment available, which helps, but with less than a fair amount of instruction from Raymarine. As an addendum, since I have a visceral dislike for touch screen and am cheap, bought the c127, which was on sale. The user interface is not the best (it sucks), but the MFD connects to an iPad (touch screen - what's a mother to do?) that makes such things as building routes and adding labels much easier.
jackonanthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:22   #13

Boat: Robinhood -- 36

Quote:

Have had our Quantum unit connected by WiFi for over two years and never a problem with connecting, regardless of location or environment. Works in marinas or at sea in thunderstorms.
Miker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar