Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 08:28   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Radar dome water damage

My boat has been on the hard all winter in Rhode Island, with the rig up. Earlier this week, I noticed that it looks like the top cover of my Raymarine RD418HD dome is cracked and broken. I can see a broken piece of it sticking out to the side. I don't know when this happened, but I'm sure it was after haulout. It undoubtably has gotten a lot of rain in it, and possibly some snow earlier in the winter. Is this an automatic death for the radar? or is it possible it is ok, if I get it cleaned and dried out before it gets powered on?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 13:07   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Radar dome water damage

You can get someone to look at it and clean it. You will find out very quickly upon power up if it works. That can be done on the hard. You likely can find a new cover on eBay. I'd tape what you have up or cover with a water tight bag until you get that sorted but AFTER you test it.
Old 30-04-2021, 13:08   #3

if it's sitting in a pool of water which is likly. it'll be toast. everything will be rusted and corroded. you'll have to open the top and look.

I would not power it up untill you look at it and dry it up. powering it up wet might fry it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 13:31   #4

Thanks, I'll try to get up there to take a look at it, but with the boat on the hard currently, I'm not sure it's a good idea to try to go up or get someone up there until the boat is back in the water. I think I'll just have to wait till then to check it out.
Old 30-04-2021, 14:48   #5

Boat: Trlåren 31

A friend of mine had a furuno radar with a cracked radome cover that he used for years in that condition. It was not a little crack and this was in a locale with lots of freeze thaw cycles and 120"annual precip. It was still working fine when he sold the boat after almost ten years use. You might be okay but I wouldn't bet on it. Good luck!
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 17:12   #6

That would be nice, but I think I should probably mentally prepare for it to be toast.
Old 01-05-2021, 13:42   #7

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Don't turn it on. Take the unit off the mast and get it indoors to dry out. Clean out any debris and check for rust damage. See if there is a maintenance manual or You Tube video to help with the task. Depending on the physical appearance order a new radome before or after the next step. Re-mount the radar without the radome and see if it will start up and do self test. If it passes this step - give it a try.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar, water